[1.5] Allow Tool (3.13.0) - The Rimworld Multitool

Started by UnlimitedHugs, January 01, 2016, 04:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightinggale

There are tools for priority already, like Please Haul Perishables and HaulpriorityRedux. Both work by adding new jobs with higher priority and then make haulers haul a subset of items while leaving the vanilla haul unmodified. In other words just like Haul Urgently. The difference is that they are part of the Haul category, meaning it's just priority between haul tasks and unrelated to priority regarding non-haul tasks, that is, unless you use Fluffy's worktab to change priority of each job inside Haul. All 3 mods mentioned here works well together.

Having said that, I certainly would prefer a user configurable priority system. It could be implemented as say 5 jobs and then a menu to set which item belongs to which job, effectively giving 5 priority levels. Perhaps the lowest should be the unmodified vanilla function for all items, which will ensure that you will not end up forgetting to add a certain item to any of the jobs. Defaults and preset buttons could make this act like with Please Haul Perishables as it hauls items, which rot first.

The problem with the predefined system is that it's fixed and not all games are the same. For instance my current game I have way more wood than I need (like 4k and I still have only 3 colonists). However I only have 3 steel, meaning I want to haul steel rather than wood even if wood deteriorates and steel don't. Sure I can mark steel for urgent haul, but then I would have to do that every single time the miner makes a new one. However in my last game I was overflowing with steel and certainly wouldn't want steel to have top priority.

In this talk, I will also point out something, which might be important for some players/games: where are animals trained for hauling in all this? Hauling bots? Will they be able to use the same priority list? Are they simply using the Haul category or are they hauling based on vanilla haul job?
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

kubolek01

Quote from: Nightinggale on October 20, 2017, 09:45:44 AM
There are tools for priority already, like Please Haul Perishables and HaulpriorityRedux. Both work by adding new jobs with higher priority and then make haulers haul a subset of items while leaving the vanilla haul unmodified. In other words just like Haul Urgently. The difference is that they are part of the Haul category, meaning it's just priority between haul tasks and unrelated to priority regarding non-haul tasks, that is, unless you use Fluffy's worktab to change priority of each job inside Haul. All 3 mods mentioned here works well together.

Having said that, I certainly would prefer a user configurable priority system. It could be implemented as say 5 jobs and then a menu to set which item belongs to which job, effectively giving 5 priority levels. Perhaps the lowest should be the unmodified vanilla function for all items, which will ensure that you will not end up forgetting to add a certain item to any of the jobs. Defaults and preset buttons could make this act like with Please Haul Perishables as it hauls items, which rot first.

The problem with the predefined system is that it's fixed and not all games are the same. For instance my current game I have way more wood than I need (like 4k and I still have only 3 colonists). However I only have 3 steel, meaning I want to haul steel rather than wood even if wood deteriorates and steel don't. Sure I can mark steel for urgent haul, but then I would have to do that every single time the miner makes a new one. However in my last game I was overflowing with steel and certainly wouldn't want steel to have top priority.

In this talk, I will also point out something, which might be important for some players/games: where are animals trained for hauling in all this? Hauling bots? Will they be able to use the same priority list? Are they simply using the Haul category or are they hauling based on vanilla haul job?
Urgent hauling is a separate job. Not sure if bots will obey these orders. It's near to Flick in priorities.
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Nightinggale

Quote from: kubolek01 on October 20, 2017, 10:17:24 AMUrgent hauling is a separate job. Not sure if bots will obey these orders. It's near to Flick in priorities.
I know that  ;) I was referring to the concept used by the other mods mentioned, which is to add jobs inside the Haul category. I'm quite sure bots and animals do not look at Haul Urgently as it's a totally different job.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Nightinggale

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 20, 2017, 11:12:43 AM
Steam mods don't count.
Please Haul Perishables has a direct download link on the steam page. The other one... well who cares? It's not like it's that important anyway. My main point is actually to tell that it has been done, how it works and how it's possible to copy a proven working concept to make something even better, like a priority list, which can be changed using an ingame UI.

We can quickly agree that steam workshop sucks for modding. It stores in (steam library)/workshop/contents/gameID/modID. GameID for Rimworld is 294100. The mod IDs for the mods in question are 933645080 and 725714675. It's clearly not intended to be read by humans and that's a minor issue compared to the fact that downloading the mods requires owning the steam version. There are other issues as well, but steam bashing is off topic here.

I feel like all this talk about steam and placement of Urgent Hauling derails the thread from what I actually wrote, which is a concept plan for how to make a system for user defined hauling priorities. I would much rather get back to that topic.

Canute

So long he don't post it at the forum, it is invisble for me and other who don't like Steam.

UnlimitedHugs

Having said that, I certainly would prefer a user configurable priority system. It could be implemented as say 5 jobs and then a menu to set which item belongs to which job, effectively giving 5 priority levels.

A good idea, but it's also important to consider how it would mesh with urgent hauling. Outright replacement would be a loss, and adding it as a separate system would increase complexity for the benefit of a small percentage of users. So, a separate mod may be better indicated for such a feature.

Animals do only vanilla hauling. As for bots, that depends on the implementation- if the bot is counted as a colonist by the game, they will also pick up urgent hauling jobs.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Nightinggale on October 20, 2017, 12:42:26 PM
I feel like all this talk about steam and placement of Urgent Hauling derails the thread from what I actually wrote, which is a concept plan for how to make a system for user defined hauling priorities. I would much rather get back to that topic.

I haven't even started bashing steam, and I restrained myself in doing so since I got my steam key over a year ago ..
Sometimes the one or other remark slips through .. sorry for that.
What I meant with my remark was, that Steam-Only Mods ( should have specified that )
are not readily available for the whole comunity.

Now Back to topic as you wish.
Adding priorities to hauling jobs sounds like a good idea,
but the way pawn select jobs would require subjobs or different worktypes like priority
hauling.
Thats why I suggested a List that can be modified by the user and should only contain the items that really should be hauled immediatly.
In your case steel,raw food in case of harvest season, weapons and bodies in case of raider christmas.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Nightinggale

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 23, 2017, 05:37:57 AMI haven't even started bashing steam, and I restrained myself in doing so since I got my steam key over a year ago ..
What I meant with my remark was, that Steam-Only Mods ( should have specified that )
I agree it's an issue that steam isn't for everyone. As for the rest regarding steam, read post #9 https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36046.0
You do have a point that I didn't explicitly mention that Please Haul Perishables has a direct download link on the steam page and point well taken. Now I provided a non-steam link, which I didn't know about until today. It looks like the source code is missing though  :-\

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 23, 2017, 05:37:57 AMAdding priorities to hauling jobs sounds like a good idea,
but the way pawn select jobs would require subjobs or different worktypes like priority
hauling.
Thats why I suggested a List that can be modified by the user and should only contain the items that really should be hauled immediatly.
In your case steel,raw food in case of harvest season, weapons and bodies in case of raider christmas.
I think we agree more than you realize. My plan is a number of jobs, all under the Haul category, meaning most people will not see them as multiple jobs. Then there is a GUI where you can place items in groups, one group for each category. When a pawn wants to haul, it will go through the jobs using the normal priority approach. All jobs will do the same, try vanilla haul and for each item, return false (or however it's detected as can't haul) unless it's in the list for the job in question. This is what Please Haul Perishables does, hence the reason why I linked to it.

The ability to make saved lists, or presets sounds interesting and yeah harvest season and winter might not require the same priorities. For instance hauling dead animals are more urgent when they aren't frozen outside.

From what I can tell, your plan is to make a list where you place all item and then you let the user reorder using a GUI. The question is then what? How do you plan the job code to actually handle this?

Canute

Quote from: Nightinggale on October 23, 2017, 10:26:21 AM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 23, 2017, 05:37:57 AMI haven't even started bashing steam, and I restrained myself in doing so since I got my steam key over a year ago ..
I agree it's an issue that steam isn't for everyone. As for the rest regarding steam, read post #9 https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36046.0
You do have a point that I didn't explicitly mention that Please Haul Perishables has a direct download link on the steam page and point well taken. Now I provided a non-steam link, which I didn't know about until today. It looks like the source code is missing though  :-\
It is more the problem, why does is should look at these steam-page when i don't want to use steam.
Sure i could use the search function from the workshop, but who cares, i am just a stupid-lazy troll who don't like steam ! :-)

PGMP1979

Have anyone tested the A17 in the unstable A18 ?
I was wondering if it was working even if it was partially.

UnlimitedHugs

Quote from: PGMP1979 on November 01, 2017, 05:01:26 PM
Have anyone tested the A17 in the unstable A18 ?
I was wondering if it was working even if it was partially.

Nope, it's borked. The update is forthcoming, though.
HugsLib - AllowTool - Remote Tech - Map Reroll - Defensive Positions: Github, Steam

UnlimitedHugs

Updated to 3.3.0

Hello gents.
The A18 update is done, along with a few tweaks and minor additions that have been requested.
Please report any issues you may find. Hope you have a good time :)

The workshop build will be updated when A18 is officially released.

Mistrornge

Help a newb.  How do you select an entire vein of ore?  right clicking seem to close the select tool.  I think I am missing an important step.
Thank you,