Questions about Steam keys.

Started by trollsamaa, January 01, 2016, 03:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trollsamaa

Ok, SO i have been watching the game for quite some time, and recently liked what i was seeing enough to decide i want to buy now.
the issue is, This is also around when Tynan started his break last Nov.  after doing some reading I discovered that Steam keys have not been a guarantee for quite some time now, and that this break is meant to be a long one. So what i am curious about, and hope you may be able to help me with is

A) Why:
are the keys in a kind of... limbo.  Its not a no, but not a yes. just a possibly to getting a key :P   
I DO know this is something to do with the Greenlight process. but that's about it. And i am really curious to find out if anyone else has some more details.

and B) Odds:
on 1 hand, I really want to buy into this game now, and would love to be able to support the devs directly, as i would be buying through the site... but on the other hand, All of my games I own are in my steam Library, partially because its "easy", but mostly because i have a horrendous track record of loosing or forgetting info associated with accounts.  and because of that, Getting a steam key (especially when a steam key is a possibility) is often a large deciding factor on when and what i purchase...  Does anyone know what kind of "odds" there are for someone buying the game now to get a key?

Thanks in advance for the responses. :D

REMworlder

Happy new years!

A) Why no more Steam keys after Nov 2014? Steam doesn't allow devs to promise infinite keys. While the Greenlight FAQ specifies Steam will provide keys to devs, those keys are only promised for previous customers. Here's a link to Tynan's explanation to the question on Reddit.

If you think of it from Valve's perspective, they don't get a cut of the sales that are made outside of Steam (eg, if you buy on Ludeon.com) so it makes sense not to give away tons of Steam keys before the game actually gets sold on Steam.

B) I wouldn't count on getting a key since you're buying after the cutoff. In case you're wondering how the non-Steam version of the game works, you get emailed a link to the game through a service called SendOwl. That link takes you to a page where you can download the PC, Mac, and Linux versions of Rimworld. The link is updated every patch.

I know you didn't ask about this, but there's really no difference between the Steam and non-Steam versions aside from DRM and how the game's updated. Usage of the Steam Workshop is unlikely and Steam achievements are unlikely.

trollsamaa

I figured it was something along that line. im guessing the game finished greenlight November 4, 2014 :P.  so i guess im not buying the game for a few more months then, i got a few games to fill the void anyway :P.

Thanks again for the reply, with an extra +1 for the citation links.  if only everyone that posted in forums posted like this haha.

TLHeart

Quote from: trollsamaa on January 02, 2016, 01:56:04 PM
I figured it was something along that line. im guessing the game finished greenlight November 4, 2014 :P.  so i guess im not buying the game for a few more months then, i got a few games to fill the void anyway :P.

Thanks again for the reply, with an extra +1 for the citation links.  if only everyone that posted in forums posted like this haha.

my question is why wait? What is the attraction for it being sold via steam?

RickyMartini

Quote from: TLHeart on January 02, 2016, 02:54:24 PM

My guess is most people do it for the steam workshop and steam items. But if I remember correctly tynan never said that those will ever be available for this.

TLHeart

Quote from: Skissor on January 02, 2016, 05:55:38 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on January 02, 2016, 02:54:24 PM

My guess is most people do it for the steam workshop and steam items. But if I remember correctly tynan never said that those will ever be available for this.

Yes Tynan has stated that steam workshop, and achievements will not be implemented. The ONLY incentive for purchase via steam, is if you live in one of the regions where steam discounts the price.

narkul

Why he wants it on Steam is in his post.

"All of my games I own are in my steam Library, partially because its "easy", but mostly because i have a horrendous track record of loosing or forgetting info associated with accounts."

I agree with him, it can't be on Steam soon enough for me. If all of the approximate 400 games I own were not on Steam and had their own "dev" or "publisher" website accounts for access, I'd have to make a spreadsheet of names, sites and passwords. Most would end up eventually being lost.

trollsamaa

Quote from: narkul on January 02, 2016, 09:25:26 PM
If all of the approximate 400 games I own were not on Steam and had their own "dev" or "publisher" website accounts for access, I'd have to make a spreadsheet of names, sites and passwords. Most would end up eventually being lost.

Exactly :P
I do like to support the devs directly whenever possible, and as such When i see a game im interested in announce they will be starting the greenlight process and will offer keys for early backers... most of the time i will make a decision right then and there to buy, that way the devs get full support.  unfortunately I was too late to this party. :P

RickyMartini

Quote from: TLHeart on January 02, 2016, 08:31:43 PM
The ONLY incentive for purchase via steam, is if you live in one of the regions where steam discounts the price.

Or steam sales if tynan does that. :P

milon

Off topic: I split the off topic stuff into its own thread in the Off Topic subforum:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17246.0

Getting back on topic:

Quote from: trollsamaa on January 01, 2016, 03:46:14 PM
A) Why:
are the keys in a kind of... limbo.  Its not a no, but not a yes. just a possibly to getting a key :P   
I DO know this is something to do with the Greenlight process. but that's about it. And i am really curious to find out if anyone else has some more details.

and B) Odds:
on 1 hand, I really want to buy into this game now, and would love to be able to support the devs directly, as i would be buying through the site... but on the other hand, All of my games I own are in my steam Library, partially because its "easy", but mostly because i have a horrendous track record of loosing or forgetting info associated with accounts.  and because of that, Getting a steam key (especially when a steam key is a possibility) is often a large deciding factor on when and what i purchase...  Does anyone know what kind of "odds" there are for someone buying the game now to get a key?

A) Keys are in limbo because of Steam policy.  Even when a game has been greenlit for Steam, the devs can't promise more than a certain amount (or for a certain amount of time).  I'm unaware of the details or Steam's reasoning, but it's "in limbo" because of their policy.

B) I don't know, Tynan doesn't know, no one knows except Steam, and they're not telling.  You can wait for the eventual Steam release, or you can buy it now and import it to Steam manually (I don't know the details of that process).  And hey, if you buy it now, maybe you'll get a Steam key too.  ;)