Idea: Improved fatigue system

Started by Entropy147, January 03, 2016, 04:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entropy147

I noticed during a raid that one of my colonists was exhausted (nearly passing out) and I thought, why isn't there fatigue or any debuffs apart from a mood debuff of "I'm tired", I know full well (being an insomniac) that being exhausted does more than simply making you a bit cranky. My idea is that each separate stage of tiredness should entail some degree of a debuff, for example,

Tired: -10% consciousness, -15% movement, -15% manipulation and a -10% debuff to sight
Very tired: -25% consciousness, -30% movement, - 30% manipulation and a - 25% debuff to sight
Exhausted: -35% consciousness, -45% movement, - 45% manipulation, -35% debuff to talking and sight

I don't know what you think, I personally think that at the moment the tiredness system is quite trivial and easily ignorable (unless you have a nervous, very neurotic/volatile brawler or someone with a big gun) It seems strange that malnutrition has some debuffs but not exhaustion.

Regret

those debuffs are way too strong on the movement part, most colonists would collapse from exhaustion before getting to their bed.
Other than that, I have nothing against it.

Entropy147

Hmmm, I see what you mean, well the movement debuff could be half of what I suggested (or something like that) It's merely from my subjective experience that, also I suppose the consciousness slows movement all together so the movement debuff could be removed altogether

Britnoth

Broadly in favour of this.

Should just limit the debuff to consciousness, as that affects everything else.

*wanders off to look at how stat penalties from being diseased or hypothermic works*

Locklave

Quote from: Regret on January 03, 2016, 04:39:23 PM
those debuffs are way too strong on the movement part, most colonists would collapse from exhaustion before getting to their bed.
Other than that, I have nothing against it.

Agree 100% that this would become a serious problem. It would be worse on larger maps.

Regret

Quote from: Sentry on January 03, 2016, 04:50:00 PM
Hmmm, I see what you mean, well the movement debuff could be half of what I suggested (or something like that) It's merely from my subjective experience that, also I suppose the consciousness slows movement all together so the movement debuff could be removed altogether
Sounds good :)

I know what you mean, I have quite a bit of experience with sleep deprivation as well but we have to remember that the primary goal for this game is to be entertaining, realism is secondary.

REMworlder

Fatigue has some really interesting implications if it can be tied to other colonist inputs like clothing, activities, or food type. The problem is keeping the workings of the system obvious to the player. Another issue is vicious cycles -- I forget the correct mechanic name -- but where a colonist, for example, is exhausted so he takes awhile to get to bed, which makes him exhausted, etc. Traditional comeback mechanics would say this sort of thing impedes the player experience.