Steam ranting & RimWorld's status

Started by TLHeart, January 02, 2016, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

mod: This topic has been split off from a thread in General Discussion, Questions about Steam keys.

Quote from: narkul on January 02, 2016, 09:25:26 PM
Why he wants it on Steam is in his post.

"All of my games I own are in my steam Library, partially because its "easy", but mostly because i have a horrendous track record of loosing or forgetting info associated with accounts."

I agree with him, it can't be on Steam soon enough for me. If all of the approximate 400 games I own were not on Steam and had their own "dev" or "publisher" website accounts for access, I'd have to make a spreadsheet of names, sites and passwords. Most would end up eventually being lost.
so easy to save the link to the download from the developer on your own flash drive. And 400 games, how often do you actually play all those games? Steam adds just another layer of garbage to navigate, and their DRM locks.... I much prefer to purchase without those internet access required locks.

narkul

Quote from: TLHeart on January 02, 2016, 10:27:51 PM

"All of my games I own are in my steam Library, partially because its "easy", but mostly because i have a horrendous track record of loosing or forgetting info associated with accounts."

I agree with him, it can't be on Steam soon enough for me. If all of the approximate 400 games I own were not on Steam and had their own "dev" or "publisher" website accounts for access, I'd have to make a spreadsheet of names, sites and passwords. Most would end up eventually being lost.
so easy to save the link to the download from the developer on your own flash drive. And 400 games, how often do you actually play all those games? Steam adds just another layer of garbage to navigate, and their DRM locks.... I much prefer to purchase without those internet access required locks.

Steam DRM is not an issue for me, I can download any or all onto any number of computers, PC or Mac, that I own. I can see at a glance all the games I own, and delete or install any of them. I can stream my games from my gaming PC to my HTPC and play on the living room big screen. Many of those 400 games get reinstalled and played again after several years of inactivity, they get rediscovered rather than lost BECAUSE I CAN SEE EVERYTHING THAT I OWN. I play many of my multiplayer games with Steam friends, I can see when they're online and send an invite link to a game I've started. If my internet goes down, I can just put steam in offline mode and still play single player games until the internet returns. I could go on, but I've already given far more reason to use it than not use it.

Or I can save 400 odd web links to a flash drive and not have access to all that.

TLHeart

Quote from: narkul on January 03, 2016, 10:19:17 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on January 02, 2016, 10:27:51 PM

Steam DRM is not an issue for me, I can download any or all onto any number of computers, PC or Mac, that I own. I can see at a glance all the games I own, and delete or install any of them. I can stream my games from my gaming PC to my HTPC and play on the living room big screen. Many of those 400 games get reinstalled and played again after several years of inactivity, they get rediscovered rather than lost BECAUSE I CAN SEE EVERYTHING THAT I OWN. I play many of my multiplayer games with Steam friends, I can see when they're online and send an invite link to a game I've started. If my internet goes down, I can just put steam in offline mode and still play single player games until the internet returns. I could go on, but I've already given far more reason to use it than not use it.

Or I can save 400 odd web links to a flash drive and not have access to all that.

that is all fine and dandy, but rimworld is a single player game, will never have multiplayer, will not integrate the steam workshop, or achievements. And you can easily add rimworld to your steam list to HELP you keep track of it. Steam is not needed, nor required for anything you have listed.

Toggle

Okay can both of you end it. There's zero reason to fight over why to use steam or not, if you personally need/want to use it okay, if you don't okay. There's many pointless posts in this now that are just fighting over if steam is useful or not.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 04, 2016, 12:36:27 AM
Okay can both of you end it. There's zero reason to fight over why to use steam or not, if you personally need/want to use it okay, if you don't okay. There's many pointless posts in this now that are just fighting over if steam is useful or not.

+1

But i would also like to point out that steam games don't have to have DRM. KSP can be run with or without steam running. As can PA, ARMA 2 and a whole list of games. But yeah, I'm one of those waiting for it to come out on steam. It lets me scroll through a list of all the games of own in one location, install and then play it with only a couple of clicks.

narkul

Sorry, but when people jump in here just to take a crap on steam, it's not pointless to respond. I got the feeling early on in development that the dev was not a fan of steam and all the fanboys immediately jumped aboard blocking its impending release. RimWorld is a decent enough game that it could have easily weathered the typical steam early access criticism and may have ended up a better game because of it.

TLHeart

Quote from: narkul on January 04, 2016, 08:48:35 AM
Sorry, but when people jump in here just to take a crap on steam, it's not pointless to respond. I got the feeling early on in development that the dev was not a fan of steam and all the fanboys immediately jumped aboard blocking its impending release. RimWorld is a decent enough game that it could have easily weathered the typical steam early access criticism and may have ended up a better game because of it.

I am not dumping on steam... once again you say how great rimworld is. So how do you KNOW rimworld is a good game? have you purchased it?

And no if Tynan had released it onto steam and then taken this 6 month break,  rimworld would have been labeled abandoned, and not survived.  And that is what has happened. For 6 months the game that has a track record of being updated regularly has been abandoned.

Kalshion

Really, it's been abandoned, and how do you know this? You think a developer should just work constantly on a game each and every day, every hour of their time? The guy DOES have a life of his own to lead, and he shouldn't be expected - nor required - to slave away at something he enjoys. A man needs to take a break every so often in order to get a new, fresh, perspective on things.

This is something that a lot of us who work on 3D Models actually DO, we'll work on models for a few days or even weeks (depending on the person) and then take a long break, not because we get bored of it, but because if we don't we run the risk of burning ourselves out and stopping the hobby entirely.

Its no different with game development, yes, some developers can keep going constantly by Tynan is *ONE* man, and the development team behind Rimworld isn't even all that huge to begin with (I think it was just two people?). Heck, if I could, I'd love to help but my modeling skills are probably not up to snuff for what Tynan needs for his team or his game.

Either way, do not make assumptions about the status of a game when you do not have any credible source to back it up, Tynan stated that he was taking a vacation, and the man deserves one after the hard work he's put into this.

TLHeart

From the perspective of a new person looking to purchase, an alpha game, that has been updated regularly. Yes the game has been abandoned for 6 months. No updates, no bug fixes....

A 6 month break is not a vacation. It is a warning sign. Tynan has already tried to call rimworld DONE... he stated it was DONE for him, that he had achieved his goals. I have credible sources, Tynan's blog posts.

Perception of the consumer is important in the business world. Rimworld has been abandoned for 6 months.

milon

There's a difference between Done and Abandoned.  While I disagree with your ill-informed opinion, you really ought to decide what you're trying to say before you say it. Then, if you really want to, open a new thread in an appropriate subforum and post about it.  This thread is for discussing Steam keys and I will not let you hijack it.

Tynan

"Abandoned" is a ridiculous term to use for this. Recreational anger doesn't become you. Frankly I'm disappointed to come back and see you still at your old game of constantly accusing me of various moral shortcomings and transgressions.

The game is worked on every day - as was described on the blog. We're full steam ahead over here; I'm just not taking time out to give daily updates because it would slow down progress. Truthfully, I don't like wasting time managing PR; it's better spent on the actual game.

Since the next update will represent six months of work, it will be gigantic compared to previous ones.

If anyone wants to keep claiming the game is "abandoned", I'm open to betting some cash on this. Any takers? We'll go by the dictionary definition of "abandoned". TLHeart? We can start with a $1000 bet. Or more! After all, it's free money for me since I know the answer :)

milon feel free to delete off-topic posts here and/or warn/ban violators; off-topic thread pollution is a rule break after all.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RickyMartini

How anyone can call this game abandoned is beyond me. If all the deadlines were always met and the community gets to know all future plans (a 6 month break), it is not abandoned. Abandoned means that the community doesn't even know where the dev is and we know.

And to get back to the original topic. I'll buy this game again for Steam just to have it on the list and play it while other friends are playing it too. That is enough justification for me personally. It's not a matter of anyone else's opinion.

trollsamaa

Quote from: Skissor on January 04, 2016, 02:23:03 PM
How anyone can call this game abandoned is beyond me. If all the deadlines were always met and the community gets to know all future plans (a 6 month break), it is not abandoned. Abandoned means that the community doesn't even know where the dev is and we know.

being labled as abandoned and being abandoned are 2 different things.  Dont get me wrong I love steam, but when you publish to the greenlight system you really toss it to the sharks lol.  99% of the people that come across a game look at 2 main things before deciding if its a worthwhile EA title.   The average review score (overwhelmingly positive, negative, mixed exc) and the comments/reviews.

In that regard I think (even though it sucks for me personally :P ) he 100% made the right call to wait. Early Access is a dirty word in the steam community already. and dropping the game under the EA flag to not have any kind of update for 6 months would almost guarantee that it would receive a false abandoned title. and thats super hard to come back from.   

Even if that didn't happen, is it really worth the risk just to push it out 6 months faster?  the people that know its coming probably almost all own the game already, and the ones that dodnt know are not going to care :P

slyscavenger

RemingtonRyder

I can think of lots of games that were abandoned, RimWorld isn't one of them though.

I agree with Tynan that the scope of the update should speak for itself. Even if Ludeon Studios had a dedicated PR person to parrot the changes on a day by day basis, it would probably not do it justice.

And no, I haven't seen any more than what's been posted on the blog. Trust me, a few days after the next update there's likely to be dozens of new RimWorld videos more than the version trailer.