RimWorld Discord

Started by CodeMenace, January 04, 2016, 05:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeMenace

Originally in the IRC/TS post but moved it out as to not de-rail the sticky.

I was looking for the modding slack. I've now found there's an IRC and TeamSpeak too.

What about rolling them all into one with http://discord.gg ? It's free and very accessible and could hopefully give a better experience to users.

Pros

• Free
  • Integrated voice chat
  • 21st century text chat
  • Multiple channels
  • Good moderation tools, roles and access
  • Accessible on almost all devices (including a web based client)
  • Becoming quite popular with gamers
  • Partnership program which could be applied for with custom splash screen etc.
  • Allows historical view of chat (can be controlled)
  • Open/Controlled invites (unlike slack which requires intervention)

Cons

• Requires a discord account (luckily these are global and not per-server, discord is becoming quite popular)

I took the liberty of setting one up: https://discord.gg/0kEwljX6FiCur2uN for you to have a poke around in.

I have a little experience administering discord so I'm willing to help set it up however you'd like.

If you like the idea I'll pass over the ownership to a moderator/tynan (or you can just create your own, they take 2 seconds to create and delete).
Twitter: @CodeMenace Twitch: CodeMenace

MisterVertigo

I've not heard of this service. It's pretty nice actually. I'm not active at all in the IRC community so my opinion doesn't really mean much, but I do like this site. Thanks for sharing!
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

skullywag

Are any of them actually used. I know the modders slack is as im on it daily. But ive been on the others and theyve been pretty much dead. Was a few months ago though.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Coenmcj

I think the IRC was used at one point a few months back, whenever I pop on there's not much activity though.

I popped on briefly, it actually looks pretty easy to use, with a good list of features aswell.
Wouldn't mind using it actually.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Fluffy (l2032)

I'm on the slack regularly, don't particularly see the need for voice chat but I suppose having the option can't hurt either.

Not opposed to migrating to Discord, but it'd have to be sort of a joined decision so as not to fracture the 'community' thats on the slack now.

CodeMenace

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 06, 2016, 09:47:31 AM
I'm on the slack regularly, don't particularly see the need for voice chat but I suppose having the option can't hurt either.

Voice chat isn't something everyone wants, nor has to use. It's just "there" some people obviously want TeamSpeak as it's in another thread. It can be handy sometimes though (even for you content creators to quickly share an concept).

The main thing is that: text channels and voice channels are two separate entities. You don't automatically join a voice channel and nobody's going to grief your ears just for sitting in a text channel.

Just because there's an #A text channel doens't mean that there's an #A voice channel. Even if an #A voice channel is created it's in no way linked to the #A text.

Not opposed to migrating to Discord, but it'd have to be sort of a joined decision so as not to fracture the 'community' thats on the slack now.

Yea this discord server was created for people to have a look around. It's not supposed to be the 'official' discord server of RimWorld. If Tynan/the Community support Discord then that'd be great. I don't think anyone would take Slack away from the modders either, if they didn't want to transition over.

Twitter: @CodeMenace Twitch: CodeMenace

Coenmcj

so as not to fracture the 'community'
I guess you could say, that it would cause some... Discord in the community.

I know that was bad I'm leaving now.

Less punny though,
I've been in a few guilds and clans that have used Teamspeak over the years and I've found that I prefer this already, it's certainly easier to use and modify atleast in my opinion. Already begun suggesting it to one or two of the guilds I'm in now that are inbetween TS3 servers. (we can never settle on who pays for them...  ::) )
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

CustodianV131

Great idea.

Might be handy to exchange stories and helpful or not so helpful ;) advice.
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

Scotty

i will jump in after work
discord is nice as you can use web-based or download the program :D

ChJees

On that server now.

And it is pretty much a more fancy IRC that got VOIP functionality as well as showing what games people play.

CustodianV131

Yes, its a really nice system.  8)

Will hop on there again soon, but this and tomorrow evening look a bit iffy. (work) I'll try checking during the day though. Hope to speak to some fellow Rimworld fans soon!
Gamers are young at heart and creative thinkers. Shall we play a game?

davebluedevil

Having used both Slack (for work) and Discord (for gaming) there are solid merits and applications for both. Discord has very poor app integration which are fairly essential for coding pipelines that modders are likely to use. It's a bad environment, however, to have a casual chat and an almost worse platform to VOIP with. Discord is excellent for those things.

Chat and VOIP in Discord > Slack, but Slack > Discord for anything that could be integrated into your coding life.