Increase RAM Allocation

Started by SupremeSoviet, January 07, 2016, 09:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SupremeSoviet

Currently I am trying out a new mod pack and my game is simply hating it.  Though I'm not sure why.  I have had large modpacks before with no issues at all no lag period.  My system is using no where near the max RAM.  Even if I multiplied the ram usage by 5 I likely wouldn't reach half way.  Is there any way to just pour more RAM into the it to just kill the lag that way?

Coenmcj

If you've had large modpacks on Rimworld before without the lag, then you're likely running into console spammage. Error messages flooding your console, not sure why, but they seem to take up a considerable amount of resources to put on there.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

SupremeSoviet

Quote from: Coenmcj on January 07, 2016, 10:06:00 PM
If you've had large modpacks on Rimworld before without the lag, then you're likely running into console spammage. Error messages flooding your console, not sure why, but they seem to take up a considerable amount of resources to put on there.

Well I had them pop up once or twice but that was it.  I like to run with dev mode on when I play with mod packs to see if there are any errors in the pack.  Ive seen it once or twice in game but not a ton.

Coenmcj

Hmm if that's not the issue, how's your CPU handling? That may be bottlenecking, Game's not optimised and not multithreaded, so it'll only use one core of a multicore CPU.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

SupremeSoviet

Well I have a quad core with 24gigs of ram so each gets 6gigs, I know for a fact though its not getting all 6 I checked.  At best its using a third of that.

TLHeart

since you are talking about the hardcore pack, from your other posts, and that pack has all the animals on the same ticker, the CPU gets bogged down. Happens with all mod packs at some point. It is not a memory problem, just a total volume of calculations all wanting to happen at the same time...so they have to que up, and wait... and so do you.

TBoneLutes

I'm having the same problem, slightly different set of mods but I'm getting the same issue. Nothing stands out the debug log but I'm not a programmer and it all looks Greek to me.

SynsPlayground

No offence to those that have posted here, but no one actualy answered how to allocate more ram to rimworld, it isnt using a hugeee chunk of the ram for those of us with larger rigs. Is there a way to manualy edit something to allow rimworld to use more ram. If so where is it?
Sadism Isnt All Fun And Games, At Least Not For You, I'm Having A Ball! -A Sadist You've Never Seen(Syns)

milon

RAM allocation isn't the problem, and increasing RAM allocation isn't the solution.  The problem is CPU bottlenecking on all the calculations queued up at a time. The real solution would be to stagger the tickers a bit to smooth things out, but that would be unfeasible for a mod pack maintainer.

SynsPlayground

Im sorry maybe i was miss understood, i dont care if it fixes it or not, I still want to throw more ram at it because I can and wish to know how.

After reading that, it sounds like i am being an ass, and wish to appologize, but it gets the point across, I simply wish to know how regardless of the results. Everyone in this thread has actualy avoided simply stating how and only stated "it is an issue with bottle necking" but the question was how, not what difference it would make or what is causing certain things.

Say for example, i have the fastest high end single core processor and the game still doesnt use all the ram, dont tell me its the processor bottlenecking if it runs faster on a single core than the multi core computers do. I just simply want to know how to allocate more ram
Sadism Isnt All Fun And Games, At Least Not For You, I'm Having A Ball! -A Sadist You've Never Seen(Syns)

Alistaire

You're limited to 4 GB memory allocation for the application due to the exe being 32-bit.

milon

You can't force an app to use more RAM, and trying to do so would be a really bad idea.  An operating system allocates memory to an application as it's needed.  RAM only stores data that an app is using.  Nothing more.  It doesn't do calculations and it's not a magic wand.  RimWorld is already working with the EXACT amount of RAM that it needs.  Once everything is loaded into memory, the app actually CAN'T use more RAM.  "Giving more RAM" to an app that hasn't requested it would do nothing beyond degrade system performance, introduce memory leaks, and generally slow things down or crash your system.  You don't want that.

SynsPlayground

Quote from: Alistaire on May 03, 2016, 12:29:46 PM
You're limited to 4 GB memory allocation for the application due to the exe being 32-bit.

thank you, twas the simple answer I was looking for.

killermen962

I came here to find out why this mod-pack started lagging so much to find my colonist had boxed himself in by during a build and I guess he flooded me somehow, 1 fps turned 60 when I let him out of the box

http://prntscr.com/c9254x

Check what your colonists are doing to see if they somehow started a loop or something :L

milon

Yes, that's another known way to bog the system down - a trapped pawn will hammer the pathfinding AI continually.  I really should have thought of that earlier in this thread.  :)