Cave World-style Landing Site?

Started by silverskin, January 08, 2016, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverskin

Anyone happen to have a map seed with a landing site that's 90% overhead mountain?

I'd love to play a landing where I had to do everything underground. Mine out every room, use only indoor power like geothermal vents. Have to deal with all my colonists going cabin feverish. Farm exclusively on hydroponics. Dig out open caverns to make ranch space for animals.
Have one single tunnel entrance through which all outside hazards must approach.

Would probably need new events for something like that, though. Earthquakes with random cave-ins or something, I guess.

For story purposes, think all the escape pods smashed through a thin portion of the mountain and wound up deep in some cavern with no way out.

narf03

Quote from: silverskin on January 08, 2016, 03:19:49 PM
Anyone happen to have a map seed with a landing site that's 90% overhead mountain?

I'd love to play a landing where I had to do everything underground. Mine out every room, use only indoor power like geothermal vents. Have to deal with all my colonists going cabin feverish. Farm exclusively on hydroponics. Dig out open caverns to make ranch space for animals.
Have one single tunnel entrance through which all outside hazards must approach.

Would probably need new events for something like that, though. Earthquakes with random cave-ins or something, I guess.

For story purposes, think all the escape pods smashed through a thin portion of the mountain and wound up deep in some cavern with no way out.

I think something like that wouldnt exist, cause it will be extremely easy to cover the entire map with turrets.

Coenmcj

There are a few with 50% Or so coverage, along two edges. But nothing to the extent of the old Alpha 1 mods, unfortunately, those maps were amazingly fun to play on.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: silverskin on January 08, 2016, 03:19:49 PM

You could try making a mod request at the Mods page.

JimmyAgnt007

My Dwarf Mountain Fortress has enough room to keep 36+ people inside and all fed during fallout indefinitely.  Its big but nowhere near 50% of the map.  Maybe 30ish% and I still have room to expand.

The problem with doing bases like what you want is the heat.  I need thin roof locations for vents and such.  Also you need a lot more power and geothermal vents are too rare plus they produce a huge amount of heat that kills you underground.

Toggle

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 11, 2016, 02:03:15 PM
The problem with doing bases like what you want is the heat.  I need thin roof locations for vents and such.  Also you need a lot more power and geothermal vents are too rare plus they produce a huge amount of heat that kills you underground.

Wall in the geothermal directly, add a space around it, then another wall, put a cooler on the outside of both walls using power from it?
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 11, 2016, 03:57:39 PM

Wall in the geothermal directly, add a space around it, then another wall, put a cooler on the outside of both walls using power from it?

That will soak up a lot of power.  What we really need is vertical vents that punch through the thick roofs.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Regret

My Dwarf Mountain Fortress has enough room to keep 36+ people inside and all fed during fallout indefinitely.  Its big but nowhere near 50% of the map.  Maybe 30ish% and I still have room to expand.

the heat problem just makes it more interesting.
How do wind turbines work underground? its possible to place them but i never tried it. it may just work

skullywag

nope turbines require space and no roof.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

personally i just edit the antimatter reactor to build underground and produce 100k power.  My current base has two of them.  I dont think there is enough space on the map to give me the solar panels I need to power my base. 

Regret

KreVor

Quote from: Regret on January 13, 2016, 02:40:33 PM
Quote from: skullywag on January 12, 2016, 01:28:59 PM
yep, tested it :(

You mean you have it working or not?  Because I just carved out a portion of mountain and put in a windmill......"Blocked by roof".

Toggle

Quote from: KreVor on January 13, 2016, 05:56:27 PM
Quote from: Regret on January 13, 2016, 02:40:33 PM
Quote from: skullywag on January 12, 2016, 01:28:59 PM
yep, tested it :(

You mean you have it working or not?  Because I just carved out a portion of mountain and put in a windmill......"Blocked by roof".

As skullywag said, it doesn't work. Wouldn't make sense for it to work. Windmills require 1 thing, and that's for nothing to block it within it's surrounding area. Meaning any trees, roofs, etc blocks it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.