Waste Management

Started by silverskin, January 10, 2016, 04:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverskin

(Apologies if this has been suggested lots of times before. Didn't see it in frequent suggestions.)

How about WASTE MANAGEMENT? Might be easy to add to the game. I imagine the longest job would be finding a graphic for it. But it doesn't exactly need to look pretty. I suppose it's just an expansion to the cleaning job that already exists. Just this makes it a bit more involved than simply telling everyone to do cleaning for one day every few months.
Anyway, managing waste is a challenge every human settlement has struggled to deal with throughout history.

When rotting food loses all it's durability, it turns into food waste. So after it hits 0/whatever, it'll turn into a messy looking item called 'food waste', or something. Massive beauty hit. Never degrades. Has to be disposed off.
Same for anything else that hits it last point of durability. All turn into a waste item.

Colonists could leave behind a waste item every day or so. After they eat meals, it could leave behind minor waste items that have to be disposed of. Hardcore workbenches could leave behind industrial waste, that might even be slightly toxic in addition to being ugly.

It would require the player to construct some sort of landfill away from living areas. Maybe, further down the research line, recycling could become possible. Most waste could be recycled to get something useful out of it and destroy the waste. 'Food waste' could be recycled into fertiliser, although that would probably require extensive changes to agriculture, so bugger that for now.
Could perhaps have a power plant that burns waste as fuel? Give it an area around it to mark pollution that kills plants and gives a debuff to any colonist going to close to it.

Toggle

There's skeleton corpses, rotting bodies. Generally they're just dumped in the trash zone.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

giannikampa

And as always.. sorry for my bad english

maksvellgood

Or you can do a dump of products , then they rot and make the fertilizer , in my country in this way make fertilizer

giannikampa

My idea is that things that rot as well as every (say) 10 cleaning action as well as "machined" things generate 1 unit of a new thing on the ground: waste.

Waste has to be disposed as an object, has negative beauty and is flammable. Somehow it is a bad product to deal with!

let's see how:

-It can be burnt like the wood to produce power.

-A proper hi-tech machine turns waste as well as rotting corpses into fertilizer (this takes several days but does not need the worker to operate it all the time, he just has to fill the cistern as an hauling job).
Well at this point I have to say that fertilizer is another thing in the game..

-Compacted waste could be a building material as well: strong, cheap, ugly, flammable.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english