More overhead mountains!

Started by silverskin, January 10, 2016, 02:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverskin

You can edit the hell out of biomes and some stuff that appears on map gen: scattered items and geysers. But can you edit how the map itself would look when generated?

I want more overhead mountain. I want a landing site where more than half the map is inside a mountain. So I can build a huge bunker, naturally.
Is there something that can be edited to ensure all mountainous regions will have more than half the map under an overhead mountain?

SynsPlayground

Bumping out of interest seeing as no one replied
Sadism Isnt All Fun And Games, At Least Not For You, I'm Having A Ball! -A Sadist You've Never Seen(Syns)

RemingtonRyder

Yep, it is possible.

Basically, each map starts out as grid with elevations ranging from 0 to 1, from the looks of things. Then, a class called Genstep_Terrain will call a method named TerrainFrom for each cell in that grid.

GenStep_Terrain is also an entry in MapGenerators.xml, so if your mod uses a custom version of that file, you can load your own version of GenStep Terrain instead.

At elevations between 0.55 and 0.61 (not inclusive), gravel is generated, which as you know generates around any rocky areas on the map.

At elevations of 0.61 or above, rock is generated.

So you could create your own version of GenStep_Terrain, lower the threshold to something lower, then build and load it in RimWorld as an assembly file.