Removing the build boundaries.

Started by MarcTheMerc, January 10, 2016, 03:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcTheMerc

Several times when building my colony, i have encountered the problem that the boundary on the edge of the maps stops me. i understand its to stop people from walling off the map but it causes issues to colonies built near the edge of the map.

So my suggesstion is its removed or becomes a togglable option.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

A Friend

Well, not necessarily removed, but how about reducing it to 1 tile before the edge of the map to still allow raids and other things to spawn while having a bit more freedom to build.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

MarcTheMerc

"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

asanbr

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on January 10, 2016, 09:19:58 PM
That sounds alot more reasonable.

I don't see the problem. Pretend that the map ends where the border is and the parts outside the border don't exist?

Toggle

Have you tried starting a colony on a larger map? I assume there's reasons for the build barrier to be out as far as it is.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

MarcTheMerc

Its not so much a problem of a lack of space but more i back myself in to a corner and it stops me from building.

Toggle

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on January 12, 2016, 08:08:54 PM
Its not so much a problem of a lack of space but more i back myself in to a corner and it stops me from building.

Can't you expand to either side though, then?

jzero

as previously stated the whole building limit thing, i think, was added so that raids and sieges and such still had plenty of room to come mess you up. If it got removed then people could just wall of the map and prevent raids from spawning. Maybe reducing it could work but then it would go back to the issue of sieges needing that room to set up. Overall the feature is pretty necessary in order to keep raids challenging
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

MarcTheMerc

im looking more to it being a toggleable option thats on by default. But if you want to do it you can switch it off in the knowledge it will hinder gameplay. though mostly i just want it so i can build a crypt in a certain place outside the barrier.

Toggle

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on January 13, 2016, 11:15:49 AM
im looking more to it being a toggleable option thats on by default. But if you want to do it you can switch it off in the knowledge it will hinder gameplay. though mostly i just want it so i can build a crypt in a certain place outside the barrier.

Except the game doesn't really work like that. Games don't usually have toggles to turn of something that can break it. If you wall off the edges, raids break, and it's more work for Tynan to have to make a toggle for it and make it to remove or stay there and everything. Tynan has said he won't do toggle stuff because it's too much work.

JimmyAgnt007

The thing is, with dev mode you can put rock around the edges anyways.  So having it reduced from 10 to say 3 would be good enough for me.

skullywag

Removing this would require a refactor of certain parts of the code and as Ludeon are adding content right now stuff like this has to take a backseat.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

Of course, things like this are never critical, just if hes ever tinkering with this part of the code then why not.

Sens

well i almost walled in the map right next to that border and now it happened that a siege deployed capsules somewhere in middle of map next to my base, a guy even got traped in a room. (was 3rd siege in row at that time, i guess that mesed up the deploy location, guess it needed to deploy elsewhere and had no other spot or something...) the previous two landed outside walls on different locations each.

P.S. it still gets messed up, their camp is split by my wall now and some of them have to run all the way around to build on other side.

BetaSpectre

IMO you ought to be able to wall off the entire map, there shouldn't be any benefits for doing so. Like an event automatically breaks the wall where they spawn.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO