Does anybody miss the change log yet? :'(

Started by Jstank, January 14, 2016, 09:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstank

Because I sure do. I haven't checked this forum since it closed. :'(
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

JimmyAgnt007

Nope, it was a pain for Tynan to work with and took up too much of his time.  Even when he comes back I dont care if he revives it or not.

Veneke

I've ended up checking the forum more in order to ensure that I don't miss anything! So yeah, I miss it.

I don't really follow the logic that it took up too much of his time. I mean, it's not like the changelog was ever particularly detailed. It's what, 5-10 sentences on a 'bad' day summarizing what was done, and usually much less than that? Hardly the biggest timesink ever, and it did serve a purpose in keeping the community aware of what was going on and engendering a positive atmosphere in the community where you could point to things and say 'Well, Tynan is doing X.' rather than the more usual 'Well, Tynan is doing stuff'.

Still, it's gone now so that's all there is to that. I presume that we'll still have a changelog from version to version though?

Listen1

"Got rid of a very hard to kill bug"

Yes, I miss it. But it built quite alot of expectations, those who cannot always be met.

falcongrey

Quote from: Veneke on January 14, 2016, 10:21:09 AM
Still, it's gone now so that's all there is to that. I presume that we'll still have a changelog from version to version though?

Though I understand why the daily change logs are gone... they would be tedious and time consuming. I do hope and somewhat expect this will happen though at release of each update / version change.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

skullywag

if hes using git (which im guessing he is) he could get his logs to output via a fair few programs out there (plenty of changelog generators on git), minimal setup required. It may not be as clear as the old one as its literally the commits to git you would be seeing but I feel its a different trade off, but then again the game is approaching release so it may be too little too late.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

NephilimNexus

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Toggle

And there's a troll, trying to start a fight.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

BugPowderDust

I think the problem isn't that it takes time, but say he does this:
----
16/1/16- Added 'raid the raider's base' option
19/1/16- Removed the 'raid the raider's base' option, as full of bugs.
----
You can imagine all the nagging and 'is it fixed yet' that would be all over this forum. He's probably doing it to retain some control/ freedom

BetaSpectre

I do like knowing about the changes, and being able to critic them or talk about them isn't bad that's how you get feedback and suggestions. Then modders can help out too.

Though the game is basically done. No DLC madness xD?
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Veneke

Quote from: BugPowderDust on January 16, 2016, 03:05:29 PM
You can imagine all the nagging and 'is it fixed yet' that would be all over this forum. He's probably doing it to retain some control/ freedom

Well, he specifically said that it was on account of the 'small but persistent time sink' it had become. He also mentioned that it duplicated git commits but tbh I'm not quite sure what that means - is there a changelog for the dev branch on git somewhere?

Saying that I think you're half right.

I mean, stuff is added and removed in most EA games all the time, and Rimworld has hardly been an exception to that: anyone remember the manually activated explosive charges that existed before we had IEDs? Or how about the... the thing that let you terraform?

Personally I think it's a combination of what you said plus the fact that the next release (or the one immediately after) will be on Steam. Steam is a perfect example of an audience which persistently fails to understand how Early Access and in-development games work, and you're quite right that a changelog that suggest a new feature was being implemented and subsequently removed would cause all kinds of havoc with that kind of larger community. There's no point having a changelog while he's on break, so it gets cut while he's away and it's long gone before the Steam community gets its hands on Rimworld - avoiding the problem.

Before anyone gets excited I'm just speculating at this point afaik he hasn't said anything about when we could expect Rimworld on Steam.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: falcongrey on January 15, 2016, 11:25:48 PM
Quote from: Veneke on January 14, 2016, 10:21:09 AM

Though I understand why the daily change logs are gone... they would be tedious and time consuming. I do hope and somewhat expect this will happen though at release of each update / version change.

You do realize that he would have to keep a change log anyway to keep track of changes? All he was doing already was basically uploading that text document....

Dawa1147

Maybe a compromise would be a weekly/biweekly/monthly entry in the changelog, instead of a daily entry? I do agree on the "is it fixed yet"-nagging, placing a big bold red "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE"-banner at the top might help a little

REMworlder

Fan-made Change Log:

1/16 RimWorld now on Ubisoft Uplay
Began work on RimWorld DLC for Origin

1/17 Expanded on breakup relationship module
New pirate faction leader: Tracy Smith "the heartless bitch"
Late night bug fixing at Chili's happy hour

1/18 Texture work; grass now greener
Some bug smashing

1/19 More bug killing -- shoutout to Terminex for help
Introduced exciting new exotic RimWorld animals: mouse and pigeon

1/20 Implemented best-friends-forever relationship module
Carpet now gets stained when puked or bled on

1/21 Klingon language version almost complete (translated by Tynan)
Bugs in my skin

1/22 Introduced new animal: Screaming Fireflies
Added Screaming Firefly's sounds
General bug fixes

1/23 Noise complaints from neighbors
Random bug fixes