Self made stuff on A10 not working

Started by catter, January 14, 2016, 07:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catter

Ok, so I'm a new guy when it comes to modding so I had to poke around here, unfortunately I found nothing that suits my problem and I really need this fixed.

So, I created a new type of weaponry in the A10 version and it was laser based. I used the normal skins of the shotgun, the pistol, the assault rifle, the survival rifle, and the heavy SMG. The problem was I wanted better skins so I looked around and ran into a comment that said to use UnityAssetsExplorer like this:

Quote from: Rhodes on November 15, 2013, 06:25:31 PM
Interested in creating new textures for RimWorld?  This post is here to get you started!
The process may seem complicated, but is actually quite simple!

Things you will need:

To Begin, Follow These Simple Steps:
Move UnityAssetsExplorer.exe to your Desktop
Open UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
Click the Open Assets-file button.
Browse to your RimWorld Game Directory.
Open the RimWorld###Win_Data folder.
Highlight the assets file, resources.assets, and then Click the Open button.
Make sure the Covert TEX to DDS box is Checked
Click the Extract All button.

Excellent!  You've just extracted all the goodies and textures used to create RimWorld.

To Continue:
Minimize UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
Go to your Desktop and open the newly created folder named resources.

You will see lots of files - most of these aren't important. However, some are very important! 
The important ones are the DDS files.  If you installed the required plugins for Photoshop or Gimp, you can open these DDS files to see what textures they contain!

Using Photoshop, open the DDS file you want to modify.  For example, I opened Bed.tex.dds.
In Photoshop, I changed the color of the sheets.  I wanted a Pink bed with my name written on the blanket - so I painted it in!
After I was satisfied with my changes, I clicked Save.

Photoshop then asked me all these weird questions about dds Formats and stuff!
It was simple though.. I only had to change one selection!

If the image is a UI element: Select DXT1 from the Drop-Down List and make sure No MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation box. Then click Save.

If the image is a texture: Select DXT1 from the Drop-Down List and make sure Generate MIP maps is selected in the MIP Map Generation box. Then click Save.

Note: Be sure to keep a list of which files you modified!

Once you have modified all the files you want to change, we're ready to pack them all back into the Resources.assets file and load them into our game!

Open/Focus UnityAssetsExplorer.exe.
You should still have the Resources.assets file open. If not, re-open it using the above instructions.

Depending on how many DDS files you modified, this part may take a little while. I hope you kept that list handy!

Browse through the list in UnityAssetsExplorer and highlight each file you modified. In my case, I highlighted Bed.tex.
Right-Click the Selected Item and choose Import This File from DDS.
Do this for each file you modified.
Once you have finished Importing each file, click the Save as Assets-file button.
Browse back to your RimWorld Game Directory and save the new assets file as something original.  I saved mine as resources.IheartPinkBeds.assets.

I then created a copy of my Original resources.assets file so that I wouldn't lose it.
Then, I renamed my resources.IheartPinkBeds.assets file to resources.assets

The next time I played RimWorld - All my beds were pink!  I didn't even have to start a new game!

After you modify a file (be it DDS or XML or OGG) make sure the file size remains the same as the original.  Otherwise, you could run into issues with your RimWorld loading.  You have been warned.

[EDIT]

How did I go from being all serious to the goofy ending?  This is what happens when I focus on something for more than 5 minutes...

Now I have problems with the skins I made, (I.E. they won't load). How should I fix this?

skullywag

Look at a vanilla gun def and chech the texpath for the graphic. You need to match this with your folder structure inside your mods texture folder. So if the texpath in the xml def says "Things/Weapons/mynewgun" then you need a folder called "Things" inside your textures folder and a folder called "Weapons" inside that and then finally your image mynewgun.png inside that.

The above steps are not relevant for what you are doing thats about changing the base games textures not adding your own, its as simple as ive stated above. Grab any mod to see the structure, one of my gun packs for instance.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

catter

Well, did that before I did ANYthing on here and I found nothing, not even in the Win_Data or Source folders and the folders in them. However I did find the textures in an .assets file. I got to them but I need help re-integrating them into it.

skullywag

No you dont. If youve added new weapons they should be in their own mod with there own texture folder. As i said chsck my mods for how to do this. You dont ever need to go near the assets file when modding.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

catter

Ok, thank you I will create the mod for everyone to use.