Stockpiles, launch pads and hoppers explained

Started by Semmy, January 27, 2014, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semmy

The new update contains stockpiles and launchpads.
In this post I will explain these new additions in detail.

Stockpiles.
The new stockpiling system will replace the old and familiar stockpile.
They are free to place and you can decide the amount of space they take and where to build them.
At the moment they will take on a random color (This might chance in the future).
When defining a stockpile zone you can shape it as you will. When you keep the stockpile selected you can add what you want to it (These cells must be adjacent to each other). When you want to place a different stockpile next to another stockpile make sure to deselect it first.
Stacks of resources are maxed at 75.

The Green button with the big [A] in it allows you to rename your stockpile.
When you click the [Storage] button different categories of resources show.
When selecting or deselecting these categories you either allow storage of everything that falls under that category or forbid it.
You can further expand the category and select individual resources. Handy for when you want to sell specific resources to a trader. Which I will explain in more detail later.
At the top there is a priority button. Set at [normal] in the picture. The priorities go from Low- Normal - Preferred - Important -  Critical.
Low meaning the stockpile will receive its allowed resources later than any stockpile with a higher priority.

Launchpads
With launchpads a new way of trading is introduced to the game.
To be able to sell your goods they must be placed on a launchpad. To be able to do this you must place a stockpile ontop of the launchpad.
You can allow and forbid goods in the same fashion as previously explained.
The games currency (silver) must also be on the launchpad. If it is not it will not show up in the traders screen.
Everything you want to trade away must be placed in a stockpile build on a launchpad. This may mean that for bigger trades you will need multiple Launchpads.
The Drop beacon still works the same. Your goods will arrive at its location.

In the picture you can see a constructed launchpad on the left. And on the right is a launchpad with a stockpile ontop of it. Remember stockpiles take a random color at the moment.

Hoppers
Hoppers are needed to fill up your nutrient paste dispencer.
They should be placed next to it. They can hold potatoes and in the future more raw foods.
You can set priority for the hoppers just like for your stockpiles. Give them a high priority else they get filled last.

In this instance the top line of hoppers will provide food to the nutrient paste machine. The bottom line won't.
Keep this in mind when designing your new cantina.
Remember nutrient paste machines are useless without a hopper.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Merry76

Can colonist path through hoppers (without getting turned into nutrient paste) if the paste dispenser is on fire?

Could be important  ;D

Tynan

Quote from: Merry76 on January 27, 2014, 02:30:49 PM
Can colonist path through hoppers (without getting turned into nutrient paste) if the paste dispenser is on fire?

Could be important  ;D

No; they're impassable.

You can't put out fires in the middle of large impassable objects. Yes, this will be fixed.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

BattleFate

Quote from: Tynan on January 27, 2014, 02:39:28 PM
Quote from: Merry76 on January 27, 2014, 02:30:49 PM

Could be important  ;D
No; they're impassable.

You can't put out fires in the middle of large impassable objects. Yes, this will be fixed.

Edit: Not sure what happened here with the odd quotes. Fixed now. See below:

What about putting out a fire on the edge of one object if another impassable is in the way? For example on a wall with a flower pot in front of it, or on the side of the food dispenser with the hopper next to it. As of now, I assume you can't, but will you be able to in the future? (i.e. will fire extinguishing perhaps have some sort of range to it?)

Dr. Z

Can you build a launchpad beneath a stockpile already filled, or do you have to build a launchpad next to the stockpile, with a new stockpile on top and than make your colonists transporting the stuff from the original stockpile to the new one on the launchpad?
Prasie the Squirrel!

Tynan

Quote from: Dr. Z on January 27, 2014, 03:32:18 PM
Can you build a launchpad beneath a stockpile already filled, or do you have to build a launchpad next to the stockpile, with a new stockpile on top and than make your colonists transporting the stuff from the original stockpile to the new one on the launchpad?

I see no reason you couldn't just build one under anything you want.

DarkMyau

I just played a game using Alpha 1. Wish I had read the updates first lol. Played on Cassandra classic. Love the new pics btw.

Figured out the hopper, when no one was using the paste dispencer. I however only built 1 hopper. So I think that was my first mistake. The colonists did keep bringing food to the hopper though.

The launchpads worked ok. I built one over the top of a stockpile that had food and metal in it and from then on it only stocked metal, not food. Which caused me to run out of food.

I hate the new building system as it slows down the process terribly and pretty much sealed my fate. The colonists now take metal from the stockpile and set up a blue print. Then they build things. It thus took about twice as long to get food and power up and running.

Even though I survived 35 days, I just couldn't get the colony going, which was frustrating. Starvation is what killed me as I had eth raiders under control. (no turrets helps lol)

Untrustedlife

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Bodog999

I like the new things like hoppers and launch pads but I dont really like the new clothing, I prefer to have the old clothes

Amaror

You should mention that colonists won't eat raw food placed in an hopper.
Like if you build a paste dispenser and hoppers. hoppers get filled up, paste dispenser destroyed, colonists starve or go insane before the eyes of the player. Killed my first new colony.

Btw. is it just me or is recruiting a lot harder now? After a while i had 8 prisoners, none succedet to get recruited and my colony starved to death, because my prisoners kept eating all the food.

Tynan

Quote from: Amaror on January 27, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

If that's true, it's a bug.

Bobthefarmer1

Quote from: Tynan on January 27, 2014, 04:08:54 PM
Quote from: Amaror on January 27, 2014, 04:05:33 PM

If that's true, it's a bug.
I can confirm that. Happened in the ~5 colonies I've made during alpha one.