[Mod Idea] Raiding another colonies/old temples + how it might be implemented

Started by Expect, January 16, 2016, 07:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expect

I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of text down there, but if you care, or you are an ambitious modder, i hope i will not waste your time ;)
I know that this sounds ambitious as ****, however i think that it would not be impossible to do.

First, in order to raid someone, you would need to have a "vehicle" to get to the place you want to raid. I'll be calling it "Mobile Transportation Device" (MTD). This would be just a structure that you place somewhere in your base. It would act as a storage, which in order to place stuff you could just right click on anything (downed colonists included) and select "haul to MTD", if you select a colonist, you can just right click the MTD and select "Enter MTD". Once you have at least one colonist in the MTD, you will be able to send the colonists. When you click the button, you will have a string copied into your clipboard, that holds all information about the colonists and objects inside the MTD.

Then, you would have to open a map file designed to be raided. In that map there will be another MTD. When you click on it you will have the option to "load" everything by pasting the string you got from the MDT in your base. Everything would appear next to the MDT. Now you could take a look at the map. It would need to be pre-made for this to be able to work, as i doubt it that you could have the world generator generate a proper base, but it would allow to make a lot of different scenarios for the raids. Bandits, mechs, everything would be there guarding loot, which you would then haul to the MDT you came from.

After you had fun wrecking the guards and stealing all their valuables, statues, or maybe even rescuing prisoners! You will again enter the MDT with everyone you sent to the raid. Again, just like before pressing "send colonists" will get you a string copied to your clipboard. Of course now it will be updated with the loot you had grabbed from the map, or some holes in your pawns you couldn't have avoided.

After loading your map, you will be able to paste the updated string from your clipboard into the MDT. After confirming, in 3 days stuff you looted, as well as colonists will be spawned next to the MDT. Victory!

In order to make this work, behaviour of the bandits/mechs should also be updated, so they would stand guard, and if they are hungry/sleepy they would go to eat/sleep and then come back to being a guard. 

You obviously would need some maps that could be raided. They could be made in cheat mode, or if someone wanted he could send his own colony to a modder and he would add bandits and necessary stuff to it. Then you could download a pack of lets say 15-20 different maps with different difficulty levels and layout.

My knowledge about modding is pretty limited, i know that this would be extremly difficult to make. Mostly i just wanted to share my idea. If you got this far, thanks for reading ;) i'm looking forward to your opinions on this.

Austintrollinski

Expect

I cant imagine this being added properly anytime soon as devs have other more important stuff to work on currently...

However if such mod was created it could have other uses too, such as moving pawns between colonies, you could have your favourite pawns in a new map, as well as extra resources so you can quickly estabilish a base. It could be used to evacuate if your base gets overhelmed. Maybe also if properly implemented it could be used to copy your favourite pawns between alpha versions, with new required informations set to default ones.

Also, there could be also another raid type... If a "void" floor type was added which instantly kills and destroys anything that tries to enter it. it would allow creation of raidable spaceships. almost all map would be filled with this floor type, except there would be a giant metal ship in the middle. There could be space pirates there, some evil A.I guarding those insanity lances and other artifacts, as well as some unsuspecting trade ships. Great risk, great loot. Mostly lots of turrets.

Toggle

It's also unlikely modders will add this. There's a possibility of mounts in next update due to traders actually being goods on the ground, so I'd wait and see.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

GuesUserNameGUN

Maybe something like a multiplayer mode? two people on opposite sides of a wall and you have to build your base and kill the other person or escape in a ship. you need a large tech to destroy the wall, and raids and other events happen like normal.