Permenant events.

Started by Reviire, January 18, 2016, 12:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reviire

Since not everyone likes to finish the game, and send all their colonists off into space (Presumably to meet the same fate.), why not add some more events that make life troubling after 2-3 years.

Things like the planet turning into a volcanic wasteland because of -fluff reasons-, making it incredibly difficulty to survive, possibly damaging parts of your base. Making the map itself unstable, lava pits spontaneously opening (Much to the dismay of a colonist standing above it.), nice stuff. Oh, and it'd be as hot as Australia.

Maybe -Pirate faction- nukes you because they're pissed, turning the map into a constant toxic fallout. If you survive the nuclear detonation, (Build a bunker after you hear the warning, if you don't live underground.) trying to survive in a post apocalyptic nightmare.

idk, discuss.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Toggle

So forcing them to basically end the game? Rimworld's a storytelling game, it's no fun if once you get far enough the game forces you to end it, or perm toxic fallout making it boring and such.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Reviire

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 18, 2016, 08:23:56 PM
So forcing them to basically end the game? Rimworld's a storytelling game, it's no fun if once you get far enough the game forces you to end it, or perm toxic fallout making it boring and such.
Does it really force you to end the game, though? Think of it as a challenge.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

JimmyAgnt007

I had an endless toxic fallout bug when we were doing pvt testing and i loved it.  But I think we need more ways to deal with these events like HazMat suits and such before we make them totally endless (or a few years long)

Toggle

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 19, 2016, 09:56:38 AM
I had an endless toxic fallout bug when we were doing pvt testing and i loved it.  But I think we need more ways to deal with these events like HazMat suits and such before we make them totally endless (or a few years long)

Pretty much. Toxic fallout kills everything outside, prevents you from going out unless it's a small amount of time, that's pretty much limiting what you can do when you're already end-game.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Regret

glass roofs (that let sunlight in) would work with a permanant toxic fallout event, so that way you can rush out, build a building and replace the roof with glass.
And presto you don't need to go outside a lot.

It should have several downsides though: needs more support, expensive to build, breaks often, etc. etc.
It would make greenhouses more realistic, more interesting, and it would give more room for fun events.

JimmyAgnt007

Cabin fever is the biggest issue about being stuck underground for a long time.  So maybe the glass roof would be a way to deal with that. 

also the longer it goes on, the more toxic the air should be.  as it stands, visitors can come in and leave without much harm.  they should all die trying to reach your base and beg to be let in if they survive.  something like that anyways. 

silverskin

Permanent events could pair well with megastructures.

Toxic fallout could keep getting worse, as thingy mentioned, up to the point of being so dangerous that you dare never go outside. BUT you could then research and build some sort of atmospheric cleaner. It would take a lot of resources, a very long time to build and require an enormous amount of power AND would have to be built outside, in the fallout. Maybe make it a multi-stage building. Various phases of construction.

Switch it on and three months later, the fallout stops.
I have no idea how Ty would do this, though. Maybe do the same thing one of the modders did with the mechanoid terraformer? If that can change weather then there has to be something in the game to work with.

For a permanent heat wave you could construct a satellite and blast it into space. That satellite could carry some sort of solar mirror so you can cool your area of the planet. Again, that would take a lot of resources on the same level as the colonists spaceship.

Listen1

To clean the toxic fallout would be really strange for me, I would rather have creatures and trees that can resist (megascarabs, boomalopes maybe) and the option to research hazmat suits.

About the glass ceiling, great idea, It would be awesome for lighting too.

blub01

Quote from: Listen1 on January 22, 2016, 04:44:01 AM
To clean the toxic fallout would be really strange for me, I would rather have creatures and trees that can resist (megascarabs, boomalopes maybe) and the option to research hazmat suits.

About the glass ceiling, great idea, It would be awesome for lighting too.

and maybe add some way to genetically modify your colonists to survive, too.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Vas

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 18, 2016, 08:23:56 PM
Toxic Fallout isn't bad at all, it's almost completely harmless.  I didn't even bother telling my colonists to stay inside during it until they got o 50% toxic damage.

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 20, 2016, 10:00:35 AM
Cabin fever is the biggest issue about being stuck underground for a long time.  So maybe the glass roof would be a way to deal with that. 

also the longer it goes on, the more toxic the air should be.  as it stands, visitors can come in and leave without much harm.  they should all die trying to reach your base and beg to be let in if they survive.
Cabin fever is being stuck inside a base all day.  Glass roof wouldn't fix that, you'd still be unable to go outside and enjoy nature.  However, Cabin Fever should be disabled for certain parts of the game where going outside is deadly.

Your other idea is also exploitable, where raiders can't harm you anymore.

Quote from: Listen1 on January 22, 2016, 04:44:01 AMAbout the glass ceiling, great idea, It would be awesome for lighting too.
The issue with this is it requires Z-Levels.  You can't construct a roof in the game.  There's only one type of man made roof and it sucks.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Sirithil

Quote from: Vas on January 26, 2016, 12:20:06 AM
Quote from: Listen1 on January 22, 2016, 04:44:01 AMAbout the glass ceiling, great idea, It would be awesome for lighting too.
The issue with this is it requires Z-Levels.  You can't construct a roof in the game.  There's only one type of man made roof and it sucks.  :P
Nah, glass roofs wouldn't require Z-levels. We already have a no-roof zone, add a glass roof zone that acts like a constructed roof but lets light in.

killer117

Quote from: blub01 on January 22, 2016, 05:24:40 AM

and maybe add some way to genetically modify your colonists to survive, too.

id love stuff like this. the ability to change a colinists base traits and imunities with gene mods, but make them super expensive, take hours to complete in a specilised chamber and all of them, including the chamber require blueprints from traders. using this you could over time make your people resistant to toxic fallout, resistant to heat or cold ect. it gives you a long term objective in these majorly hostile enviroments.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Regret

Cabin fever is being stuck inside a base all day.  Glass roof wouldn't fix that, you'd still be unable to go outside and enjoy nature.  However, Cabin Fever should be disabled for certain parts of the game where going outside is deadly.
In my personal experience a greenhouse or something similar with a glass roof is at least half as good as going outside for getting rid of cabin fever.

Quote from: Sirithil on January 26, 2016, 06:52:10 AM
Nah, glass roofs wouldn't require Z-levels. We already have a no-roof zone, add a glass roof zone that acts like a constructed roof but lets light in.
That's what I had in mind for the mechanic, though the difference would have to be more than just light. You could even require research before you get 100% clear glass for example. It shouldn't protect against drop pods in my opinion. Maybe other traits can be thought up?

Vas

I don't get cabin fever, and I stay indoors all winter long.  :P  I don't care about going outside, I even have my window tin foiled to stop light and stuff from getting through.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.