Multi-core support

Started by Nickname34, January 19, 2016, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickname34

hello, i have a suggestion everybody is gonna like, Multi-Core support.
now, when you get a big colony, the game starts running like dogshit. the cause is the non-multi-core support engine.
everybody is gonna get a HUGE fps boost if this gets added

Alistaire

Do you want Z-level support with that

(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

JimmyAgnt007

and 3D mapping in the Unreal(6?) engine.

in all seriousness Tynan can only do so much with unity, Im sure that if its ever an option worth investing the time into then he will do it.

Headshotkill

Not sure if Multicores are needed as of yet, I can play ludricrous large maps with a good PC that is 5 years old.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Headshotkill on January 20, 2016, 03:08:42 AM
Not sure if Multicores are needed as of yet, I can play ludricrous large maps with a good PC that is 5 years old.

That's because performance per processor has pretty much been the same over the last 10 years or so...

Also, stop suggesting things that require an engine change - they're just not going to happen.

Nickname34

the Multi core support is badly needed, you will basicly get a 4x performance boost, its just Unity 5 or whatever engine has multi core support....

Fluffy (l2032)

RW runs on unity 4, which is not thread-safe. Also, 4 cores does not equal 4x the speed, it highly depends on how much can be parallelised. Finally, even if the engine supports multi-core, that doesn't mean the game can just be 'switched' to have multi-core support, it would require extensive reworking of the base code.

Now I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea, but it's been suggested many, many times, usually as if it's a trivial thing Tynan should do in a slow weekend. It very definitely is NOT trivial to change the game to have multi-core support.

JimmyAgnt007

Now added to the Frequent suggestions topic list.  Im surprised its taken this long to add it.

Nickname34

Its needed. The fps neeeeeeeeeds to be increased

Vagabond

I'd throw another 30-60 (depending on improvements) to a kickstarter campaign for something like full 3d (with z-level construction), direct x12, and multi-core/threading. Running in like UE4 or Unity 5. . . Just saying

StorymasterQ

Would you do it if it's not Rimworld? Tynan would still be the one who codes it (and maybe ison), but it probably wouldn't be Rimworld. Because, as someone had said, putting 3D into Rimworld is such a massive effort, might as well make a new game.

Just saying.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Vas

And now you people see why it's hard to keep new community members here.  the first 3 replies are trollish posts trolling him about how he wants something as realistic as multi-core support.  It's unrealistic to not have it anymore because ALL COMPUTERS WORLD WIDE have more than one core in them now.  You can't buy one with less unless you go trying to build one with a single core, which would be stupid to be honest.  And honestly something like Z levels should be added, because the game now has too much in it to be contained on a single level.  It already uses a "z-levels" system in a way, it just needs to be made true z levels where colonists can not leave the level they are on, but anyway.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Vas on January 26, 2016, 12:10:47 AM
And now you people see why it's hard to keep new community members here.  the first 3 replies are trollish posts trolling him about how he wants something as realistic as multi-core support.  It's unrealistic to not have it anymore because ALL COMPUTERS WORLD WIDE have more than one core in them now.  You can't buy one with less unless you go trying to build one with a single core, which would be stupid to be honest.  And honestly something like Z levels should be added, because the game now has too much in it to be contained on a single level.  It already uses a "z-levels" system in a way, it just needs to be made true z levels where colonists can not leave the level they are on, but anyway.
While many of us (modders) would agree that z-levels, multiplayer and multi-core support would have been great if supported from the start, we also have a higher than average knowledge of how the game actually works. The reason we're being derisive is that a) all three of these suggestions would basically require a full rewrite of the game, and b) Tynan, and various modders have explained on many occasions that it's not a design goal/not feasible/not going to happen.

hoho

Quote from: Nickname34 on January 19, 2016, 12:43:34 PMthe cause is the non-multi-core support engine.
How do you know this to be the root cause and not e.g algorithms that simply don't scale well?

Not to mention that going multicore rarely, if ever, gives linear increase in games. I'd be extremely surprised if Rimworld running on 4core/8virtual core CPU would get 2x faster than running singlethreaded.