Low "rainfall" in cold biomes?

Started by moglus, January 20, 2016, 05:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moglus

It might be just me... but i don't really understand the reasoning for the low "rainfall" on ice sheets... or tundra/boreal tbh. As a Scandinavian i have to say to reassure everyone that blizzards (the weather phenomenon, not the company :P) still very much do exist despite global warming, and in actual arctic climates (like Greenland, parts of Iceland, et cetera) snow in general is fairly common, as is rain when temperatures do occasionally rise above 0c

i guess i just find it odd that i never see that many snow storms on an ice sheet in rimworld. and the only biome with pretty extreme "rainfall" is the tropical rain-forest

RawCode

and what rainfall type ice sheet need?

if you don't like word "rainfall" you should check wiki or some other sources about this word.

Locklave

Quote from: RawCode on January 20, 2016, 05:59:16 AM
and what rainfall type ice sheet need?

if you don't like word "rainfall" you should check wiki or some other sources about this word.

It's inaccurate, it doesn't rain on an ice sheet. For it to rain there the ice sheet would have to be melting. So he's right.

https://sites.google.com/site/climatetypes/ice-cap

So to answer the question you asked him, no rainfall. It's the nature of the region.

Also please avoid such snarky responses in the future.

Alistaire

In general you will find that on Earth there's little rainfall around the Arctic and Antarctic because water does not evaporate quite as much at
low temperatures. The winds around such places would either come from the poles themselves and would not contain much water or they
would occasionally reach from places further towards the equator but since the distance is so large and the temperature follows a gradient
somewhere before the poles you would not expect much water to be left in those winds.

Not to mention the world's driest deserts are actually on the poles (you should Google "driest desert").

Headshotkill

Pro-tip of the day: You're very likely to die from dehydration on the poles if the cold doesn't kill you first.

Explanation: All of the water-molecules in the cold air freeze and deposit on the ground as ice, this means there's actually very little moisture in the air near the poles, which means it rarely snows there.
Instead, a blizzard is just strong winds blowing ice-crystals around that it eroded from the surface of the glacier, again almost nothing from the actuall atmosphere.

RawCode

why everyone try to compare games to IRL?

always someone argue about realism in sci-fi games...

Shurp

Scandinavia is atypical.  It gets giant gobs of moisture from the Gulf Stream.  Most of the arctic receives far less precipitation.  It's also much warmer -- compare Stockholm to the Northwest Territories or Yakutsk.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

praguepride

Most of the arctic is classified as a "desert" because of how little precipitation it gets...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_Arctic#Precipitation

According to wiki (aka grain of salt) MOST areas of arctic receive less then 20" of precipitation PER YEAR while the global average is about 39" per year so yeah about half average rainfall so I would call that low...

Also keep in mind that rainfall is typically measured as melted so even if there is a lot of snow, that condenses down to not nearly as much water (water expands as it freezes blah blah blah).