Thermal insulation

Started by Oiltanker, January 21, 2016, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oiltanker

Why there is no thermal insulation means it the game. I mean it is exceedingly useful, for instance, keeping rooms warm and fridges cool.
Thermal insulation walls can be added that would require mineral woll to build, that would require crafting from minerals in furnace.

Here is wikipedia reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_wool#Manufacture

Toggle

Because walls do this pretty fine already. Not much use for all the stuff to add that and code it in when single walls work fine, double if you really care or an airlock about it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Wex

You could also use actual wool on the walls. You know, drapes and curtains existed for a reason.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Oiltanker

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 21, 2016, 07:21:24 PM
Because walls do this pretty fine already. Not much use for all the stuff to add that and code it in when single walls work fine, double if you really care or an airlock about it.

Obvioulsy they don't. In very cold maps it is vital because keeping warm is main part of survival. Because heated room gets cold in seconds.

Alistaire

Walls already do heat transfer and certain walls transfer faster than others. The problem is rather that pawns need to walk through doors
which conduct much more heat when opened than walls do.

If you look at IR photographs of houses you see that walls hardly transfer heat (that is heat conduction) and logically opening a door allows
cold air to enter and hot air to leave which is a much and much faster process of heat transfer than conduction is.

Doubling all your walls does also provide better "insulation" but as I said this is not the main mode of heat transfer in RimWorld. If you ever
keep an eye on the temperatures in your fridges you see that pawns walking in and out can easily cause 2-3 degree fluctuations while a
stationary system with changing outside temperature hardly causes temperature fluctuation.

Oiltanker

Looking at the source code right now. I noticed it. It seems that roofs transfer heat much faster than walls.
Anyways when outside is -40 C let's say, it takes 1 heater to heat the room, but when it is -80 C or -90 C, then it takes two.

Toggle

If there's no roof, it becomes outdoor and instantly switches to the outdoor temp, and there's only roofed or unroofed, so.

Ectoplasm

I agree that more thermal insulation tools should be given to the player, the ability to add thermal layers to walls should be a given, and let's face it - if the Rimworld scenario were actually true - then adding thermal layers to walls, heat traps on doors etc would be exactly what we'd be doing.

And given the in game context of building geothermal generators and space ships.. Is a simple technology. It would also be another layer to add game depth. Plain walls might be ok (as it is now) But research wall cladding...

EDIT: I was mulling on this a little more as I waited for the violet vs serral (go serral) sc2 match. You have the plain walls - like it is now. Additional research could allow you to clad the walls exterior to keep heat in or out - we really must be given tools to be able to better regulate our bases temperatures should we put enough resources / time in to it. You could also research flame retardant cladding's for the inside of the walls, or how about various beautifying options, or even some sort of military option to give +bonus defensive type stat (with negative happiness or similar).

Adding additional depth to the game to flesh out the journey is always in the back of my mind, when I read requests similar to the OPs, and it's a fair thing to do I feel.

Toggle

We really need a better temperature system before we go into insulation and such.

Regret

Quote from: Ectoplasm on January 23, 2016, 09:11:52 AM
I agree that more thermal insulation tools should be given to the player, the ability to add thermal layers to walls should be a given, and let's face it - if the Rimworld scenario were actually true - then adding thermal layers to walls, heat traps on doors etc would be exactly what we'd be doing.

And given the in game context of building geothermal generators and space ships.. Is a simple technology. It would also be another layer to add game depth. Plain walls might be ok (as it is now) But research wall cladding...

EDIT: I was mulling on this a little more as I waited for the violet vs serral (go serral) sc2 match. You have the plain walls - like it is now. Additional research could allow you to clad the walls exterior to keep heat in or out - we really must be given tools to be able to better regulate our bases temperatures should we put enough resources / time in to it. You could also research flame retardant cladding's for the inside of the walls, or how about various beautifying options, or even some sort of military option to give +bonus defensive type stat (with negative happiness or similar).

Adding additional depth to the game to flesh out the journey is always in the back of my mind, when I read requests similar to the OPs, and it's a fair thing to do I feel.
There is no point in making walls 100% insulated since most heat is lost through roofs and doorways.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 23, 2016, 01:04:31 PM
We really need a better temperature system before we go into insulation and such.
This.

ousire

It's been mentioned already that the biggest heat loss that players have control over currently is doors. Doubling up walls only has so much impact, and we can't really do anything about roofs (Currently). The two best things to do to help maintain temperature are:

1) use powered doors in temperature sensitive areas. The less time a door is open, the less heat escapes.

2) create an airlock with multiple doors. In my food storage areas, I isolate the cold area with at least one door leading to a small room, with a second door leading to the main base. Ideally this'll mean that both doors wont be open at the same time, so the cold air doesn't escape outside or into the main base as much, just into the adjacent room.

Sens

I am testing out a heatstroke trap using heaters only atm, so i have two long corridors connected with vent shafts, both are surrounded by double walls, second has both endings opened so raiders can walk through it, the outside temp. is -27 degrees, it heats up almost instantly to 110 degrees using 60+ heaters set on 1500+ degrees, then every couple seconds it drops down to 60+ degrees and goes back up immediately, why, it does work, but why such a drop every couple seconds, almost 50% drop for a sec or two then back up instantly, power is always at max, while nothing changes in the corridor setup, no extra doors opened or stuff like that, shouldnt it be stable provided enough heaters even if doors are opened in one of the two corridors?

Toggle

What this thread reallly wants, is airlocks.

Oiltanker

Maybe you are right. But in my colony, when otside is -80C or less, I need multiply heaters ir all rooms to be able to keep temperature at 21C even when all doors are locked.

Toggle

Quote from: Oiltanker on January 24, 2016, 03:30:39 PM
Maybe you are right. But in my colony, when otside is -80C or less, I need multiply heaters ir all rooms to be able to keep temperature at 21C even when all doors are locked.

That's just because of the sheer cold it is outside.