Separate cleaning/firefighting zones

Started by lewisd, January 27, 2014, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewisd

I've got a fairly sizeable (in area, not # of colonists) base going on, some of which is dug into the rock, some of which is outside.  I have long runs of power conduit to some geothermal generators around the map.

To prevent those generators and power conduits from being burned to a crisp, I have the home zone set to be a couple tiles around those, so the colonists have time to get there and start putting out the fire before it reaches anything critical.

However, my sole cleaner (he's not good for much else, the lazy bum) spends an inordinate amount of his time sweeping the dirt outdoors, around my power cables.  Meanwhile, the bedrooms are strewn with rubble left from when they were hewn out of the rock.

It would be really nice if cleaning (home?) and firefighting zones could be set independently, instead of a single "home" zone.

Untrustedlife

So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

CodyRex123

I honestly think its becuase of the grasses and seeds, they might call those tiles that are really called for cleaning, or like to explain it, where it has path tiles, those are tiles, but tiles that are set to clean if homezone on it, so like grasses being the path tiles meaning that, Thats my take
Dragons!

lewisd

I understand why the game is cleaning them.  What I'm saying is that I want to tell the pawns "for this area, fight fires, but don't clean it."  Right now, the "home region" in the game tells the pawns "for this area, fight fires and clean it."

There's no way to tell them one or the other, so my cleaner wastes time cleaning areas that are so far away from the main base, that it doesn't matter.

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: lewisd on January 27, 2014, 01:46:06 PMI've got a fairly sizeable (in area, not # of colonists) base going on, some of which is dug into the rock, some of which is outside.  I have long runs of power conduit to some geothermal generators around the map.

To prevent those generators and power conduits from being burned to a crisp, I have the home zone set to be a couple tiles around those, so the colonists have time to get there and start putting out the fire before it reaches anything critical.

There's an easy solution to this.

Pave two tiles on either side of the conduit, as well as under the conduit itself, and two tiles around the generators, as well as under the generators themselves.

Bam! Wildfires can't spread to your conduits or your generator, you're only at risk if lightning strikes them directly. And if that does happen, you can just sell off the two conduits on either side of the fire, let it burn itself out, and reinstall the conduit.

Raiders must die!

lewisd

Hmm, easy yes, cheap no. :) That'd be a lot of metal, but it might be worth it.  I'd still like to see the feature I suggested implemented though. :) I think it's a better solution in the long run.