Izometric Rimworld

Started by Bunkier, January 18, 2016, 04:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunkier

It is possible to be izometric?

Grimandevil

welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Toggle

Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

StorymasterQ

I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

NakedFury

Isometric is the term, no Zzz's involved whatsoever.

To see what it would be like check out Project Zomboid, Ultima games, Final Fantasy Tactics.

StorymasterQ

Yeah, it's a 3D visual interpretation of 2D data, right?

Tactics actually has height as in two characters can occupy the same [X, Y] coordinate at different heights, so it's actually 3D (-ish).
Zomboid... Haven't played it myself, but I've seen Let's Plays. You usually 'change maps' when changing elevation, right? So I guess it's more valid as an example.
Ultima, I've forgotten about those, but I think it's similar to Zomboid, as in you 'change maps'.

The problem is, Tactics is turn-based, and both Zomboid and (I think Ultima games) are single player. There isn't anything at the current market that has a map of tens (sometimes hundreds) of independent units, all moving at the same time, and render them in isometric. And I don't think Rimworld will be the first.

So the answer is still a NO, and the reasons/excuses are similar to 3D although less intense, but still valid.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

ItchyFlea

Short answer is no. The long answer is noooooo.

But seriously, it isn't possible to play this game in an isometric way. The game simply isn't designed to do that, and neither are the graphics assets.

StorymasterQ: Project Zomboid can, depending on your situation, have hundreds of independent entities moving on-screen (and not have FPS issues). Project Zomboid also has multiplayer mode, which can be interesting if another player causes a horde of zombies to head in your direction. (I may have played that game a little too much about a year ago...)
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

StorymasterQ

Quote from: ItchyFlea on January 19, 2016, 01:33:02 AM
StorymasterQ: Project Zomboid can, depending on your situation, have hundreds of independent entities moving on-screen (and not have FPS issues). Project Zomboid also has multiplayer mode, which can be interesting if another player causes a horde of zombies to head in your direction. (I may have played that game a little too much about a year ago...)

Oh, yeah, true. But I'm sure none of the zombies have (or need) toils to pick up that brick and build a wall. The issues will start when them entities all need to have their priorities sorted out.

Bunkier

What if Ludeon Will make similar game to Rimworld in Izometric view? It's possible? Or other studio will do it. I wan't to play game like Rimworld but in 3d or only with x and y axis ;p.

Toggle

Quote from: sma342 on January 19, 2016, 04:56:28 AM
What if Ludeon Will make similar game to Rimworld in Izometric view? It's possible? Or other studio will do it. I wan't to play game like Rimworld but in 3d or only with x and y axis ;p.

I'd say not likely, as Rimworld is still in Alpha, and "Ludeon" is mostly Tynan, with the help of a few developers, the artist(s) and sound artist.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Lys

You might want to check Gnomoria, it thematically differs a lot from Rimworld, but it is also a sandbox game (and most of all, isometric with z-Layers).

windruf

it is possible, but you need to make a new engine and redraw all graphics. so too much work for nothing.

Praeses

Quote from: sma342 on January 19, 2016, 04:56:28 AM

What would it add to the game? If the answer is nothing, then it doesn't need it.
I'm also sure lots of people play RW on rather limited spec PCs which don't want it more taxing on their systems.

IkeaSwede

If you redraw all of the assets for the game.. sure ^^