Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king komodo

Quote from: ns9559 on September 03, 2014, 03:23:12 PM
Crutches, walking sticks, wheel chairs, and the like. I just watched a LP where a colonist lost a leg and realized that there is no way of dealing with it. Its one of those problems humans have been solving for millions of years, and is really painful when it isn't an option. Maybe a generic prosthetic item that can be crafted, perhaps in different levels. A crafting bench can make wood prosthetics, a research table might be able to make metal prosthetics, which could partially restore limbs. A prosthetic leg combined with a walking stick or cane might restore 75-80% mobility. You could buy hi-tech prosthetics from traders, or fashion them from dead mechanoids that could restore a damaged body part to full function, such as a lost eye being replaced by a cybernetic one. The generic prosthetic could be used similarly to med-kit, which can only be applied to destroyed body parts.

If you look I suggested this 2 (3 from my response) pages back.

generalcrusher

Reduced penalty for cremating strangers.
I think a higher penalty for colonists, and a lower penalty for strangers would make sense.

Krypt

Just a couple ideas that seem to me, in my unprofessional opinion, to be relatively easy:

1 - A roof layer. Some shortcut to see which areas are roofed. I know about the shadows, but a keyboard shortcut that, while held, actually displays any roofs would be nice. Constructed roofs can be displayed as the same corrugated tin as always, while overhead mountain could just appear as rock. Everything is already in game, and it would make gameplay a hell of a lot easier.

2 - Skill should determine not only the time it takes to build something, but also the amount of construction material needed. (An experienced carpenter might know to 'measure twice and cut once' while a rookie might make a lot of mistakes and waste wood.) A higher skilled crafter would use less material to build the same structure. This can also apply to cooking, or the production of anything and everything. (A slightly tweaked version would be crafting, where, for example, a skilled crafter could produce a couple more stone blocks per chunk.)

2.5 - Since less skilled workers waste more materials, waste wood, waste stone, etc. should be byproducts of construction, produced in greater numbers by those less skilled workers. Rock waste could look the same as the small rocks swept up after mining, waste wood could just be textured brown, etc. Waste could be generated randomly from construction the same way rock chucks generate from mining. I have two thoughts to the consequences of waste material, either, one: it could be an alternative material to fill sandbags/defenses, or two: it could have no uses at all, and build up to only get in the way. I like two better because it adds a new elemental challenge, because you have to find a place to put all of the waste. I would also add that waste could pile up on top of itself (just like piling resources), slowing down settlers more and more, until it becomes impassible, blocking doorways and halls, until a cleaner sweeps it up and either a cleaner or hauler hauls it off somewhere else. It would also eventually disappear, blown away into the wind or carried off by nesting birds perhaps, but not for a while.   

3 - Along with number 2, the skill of the worker should also determine the quality. A wall built by a skilled craftsman would be much better constructed. So it stands to reason that it should also affect hit points. Same goes for food, etc.

ns9559

Would it be possible to make the enemies leave after they have destroyed all they can? I mean lets say you get attacked and are overrun. Maybe you could conceivably block up who ever survived in a sort of vault with some emergency supplies and try to wait out the storm. Maybe have a really expensive vault door, so you can have a chance of saving your colony if you prepare for the worst. Survival the Fallout way.

Feniks

I have 2 ideas.

1. First some option in Crematory to auto-strip people before putting them in. It is so tedious to check 20 or more dead guys for items after raid. That way I could set up my guys to auto-strip each body before it gets burned making sure I never have to worry about them burning power armour by accident.

2. Control groups like in RTS games I wan my kill squad at hotkey 1 so I can just click 1 and get every one who is good at shooting immediately. I want my iron will guys at hotkey 2 so when there is a pail of bodies I can send them in to clean up without being worried they will go crazy.

I also vote for @Krypt idea with roof level. Being able to instantly see which part of base is under rock and which is not protected would be great.

Monkeysaur

Closet (to stack clothing, opens menu)
Gun Cabinet (to stack guns, opens menu)
Freezer (could be object or "walk in" created as a room, needs power, prevents decomposing of food/meat/dead)
Usable rest objects like sofa/hammock (reduces need for sleep, mild healing, used by idle colonists, can be slept on  by colonist if no beds available, ads to decor)

Also, a little less simple but I would really like to see,

- Hierarchy, set someone as leader of colony (+ some kinds of unique behaviors/benefits) Could also allocate colonist/s to "defend" the leader when under attack (could have eventual "leader posse")

Hope you like my ideas. XD

Krypt

I second @Monkeysaur's leadership idea. Though I think there should be a "leadership skill", and it should just be a constant, blanket mood increase for the entire colony. A good leader, someone you want to follow, would make rampages and attempts to leave the colony less likely. Maybe you could select a single leader or maybe just the colonist with the highest leadership skill would have any effect.

Tumuel

Muffalo herds passing by:
like groups of people from other tribes/colonies, a herd of muffalo pass through the map (it could depend on the biome you are in) but instead of the normal 8 or 9 muffalo that normally spawn, you could get maybe 20-30 at a time (or even more, I am not sure what the game is capable of).

Shinzy

Quote from: Tumuel on September 05, 2014, 04:28:32 PM
Muffalo herds passing by:
like groups of people from other tribes/colonies, a herd of muffalo pass through the map (it could depend on the biome you are in) but instead of the normal 8 or 9 muffalo that normally spawn, you could get maybe 20-30 at a time (or even more, I am not sure what the game is capable of).

Thumbs up to this! this would be really nice random event
20-30 muffaloes would be just ridiculous amounts of meat though, if you'd manage to hunt them all before they pass through

lukaschristmann

I didn't see it in the last 10 pages, so here is my idea:

Make Mods loadable from the folder where the Savegames, Worlds, Screenshots etc. are.

Background: I'm Dropbox-Syncing my Savegames between a Mac and a Windows-PC (and probably a Linux machine) via Symlinks, so i would like to also sync the Mods so i only have to install them one time...
If the Mod loading works as i imagine it'll be cheap, otherwise it might be rather expensive...

PurplePrism

Maybe a small indicator of how much power you have stored in in game time.

Srgntcuddles

Perhaps a button for stockpiles to clear all the selections? Click it and all the options are turned off. It'd make those of us who are a tad OCD and like to put things in certain places with lots of zones happy. It's kind of a chore to do it by hand.
Lapine Laboratories - Where bunnies test on people! For the better of human kind.

ns9559

Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 03, 2014, 09:38:59 PM
Prosthetics are confirmed for A7.

Where did you find this information?

Evelyn

Regeneration chambers. Now that bed rest effectiveness is a stat, it could cost some nice amount of metal and require being powered, but it would have three times or so the rest effectiveness of a normal bed, and perhaps could also accelerate the healing process for wounds (if that's possible, of course).

Quote from: ns9559 on September 05, 2014, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on September 03, 2014, 09:38:59 PM
Prosthetics are confirmed for A7.

Where did you find this information?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

August 18th.

Monkeysaur

Preservation for meat would be good really useful.