Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delraith

Moving furniture!
:D
- The ability to uninstall any single tile furnishings (Lamps, chairs, plant pots). Then allowing relocation (installing) the furnishings without having to dismantle them. Also allows for single tile items to be stockpiled (and sold perhaps). All of the coding is there; you can uninstall art and TVs, just extend that to cover lamps and chairs. I mean, really, is moving an armchair so hard that it costs 25 leather? Plus if pawns can haul a fricken Muffalo they can haul a damn armchair.

- Furnishings larger than a single tile, workbenches, beds, and tables, would be more difficult but still "cheap" to dev. Allow larger furnishings to be moved via a relocate command that is on the bar next to deconstruct. This requires two pawns, and they cooperatively haul the object to its new location. If they are interrupted in haul the furniture is dropped in the nearest available space, if no available space is around in an X tile radius the furniture breaks into a reduced amount of raw resources (less than deconstruct).

amul

I think coding two pawns to work in tandem would be a significant challenge.

Wild Card

Make it so when a pawn with a ranged weapon is attacked in melee he should melee back instead of trying to aim at point blank range for the opponent.
Dunno if this has been requested/implemented...i`m new :)

Kegereneku

Quote from: delraith on May 06, 2015, 07:20:35 PM
Moving furniture!
- The ability to uninstall any single tile furnishings (Lamps, chairs, plant pots). Then allowing relocation (installing) the furnishings without having to dismantle them. Also allows for single tile items to be stockpiled (and sold perhaps). All of the coding is there; you can uninstall art and TVs, just extend that to cover lamps and chairs. I mean, really, is moving an armchair so hard that it costs 25 leather? Plus if pawns can haul a fricken Muffalo they can haul a damn armchair.

- Furnishings larger than a single tile, workbenches, beds, and tables, would be more difficult but still "cheap" to dev. Allow larger furnishings to be moved via a relocate command that is on the bar next to deconstruct. This requires two pawns, and they cooperatively haul the object to its new location. If they are interrupted in haul the furniture is dropped in the nearest available space, if no available space is around in an X tile radius the furniture breaks into a reduced amount of raw resources (less than deconstruct).

+1
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Tynan

Quote from: amul on May 06, 2015, 10:31:42 PM
I think coding two pawns to work in tandem would be a significant challenge.

It is. It's basically a no-go at this point, so I pretty much just defer any idea that requires this. Because it's extremely difficult.

Quote from: Wild Card on May 07, 2015, 03:03:25 PM
Make it so when a pawn with a ranged weapon is attacked in melee he should melee back instead of trying to aim at point blank range for the opponent.
Dunno if this has been requested/implemented...i`m new :)

That should be the case already! If they're shooting someone who is meleeing them I'd even call it a bug. And put it on the bug forum.

Quote from: delraith on May 06, 2015, 07:20:35 PM
Moving furniture!

This is definitely on my todo list. Along with the 'furniture workshop' where the person actually makes all these lovely chairs, beds, tables, and so on.

Quote from: LittleGreenStone on May 06, 2015, 06:22:37 AM
Cheap idea, how about letting us leave doors open?

To equalize temperature between rooms, to let in raiders instead of waiting for them to destroy the door for the hundredth time, or simply to save time with the non-powered doors.

This is actually already in for A11. Not that it was cheap. It required serious work in the reachability, pathfinding, and region traversal code (especially as room/room reachability pairs are cached). Any code that modifies reachability will tend to be difficult.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Kegereneku

Edit : Trait suggestion

Paranoid trait
Always get a debuff when someone join the colony
Do not mind when someone is killed or executed
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Carlsf

We need to perform operations on rescued visitors because when he/she lost leg he/she can't leave.

Jimyoda

Quote from: Carlsf on May 08, 2015, 11:38:15 AM
We need to perform operations on rescued visitors because when he/she lost leg he/she can't leave.
When you stop feeding unwanted freeloaders the problem solves itself!
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

hector212121

Would coding enemies to auto-drop anything with movement penalties when fleeing be difficult or cheap?

Because it seems to me like they should ditch whatever's gonna slow them down so they can get away with their liiiiives

Frankenbeasley

It would be awesome if cooks could be prioritised to choose butchery over brewing if there are no meals billed for production. I mean, they have to walk past the pile of carcasses on their way to the distillery, you'd think they would do something about them before they rot. This would take a major bottleneck out of running an efficient experiment umm.. colony.

Similarly, and I think this might be slightly more difficult, would be if there was some way growers could give precedence to harvesting food crops before drugs, hops, or textiles when presented with two ripe plants. Sometimes, starving victims um.. colonists are to be found determinedly reaping devilstrand when a field of strawberries glistens juicily in the afternoon sun just yards from their feet.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

starryknight64

It'd be great if we could put concrete on top of mud. The description for it says we must first dig out a hole for the concrete to go into anyway. This way, silly things like this can be circumvented:
http://imgur.com/gallery/sEkhfar/

Frankenbeasley

Quote from: starryknight64 on May 09, 2015, 12:38:32 PM
It'd be great if we could put concrete on top of mud. The description for it says we must first dig out a hole for the concrete to go into anyway. This way, silly things like this can be circumvented:
http://imgur.com/gallery/sEkhfar/

Isn't that just showing red because of the lack of resources in your stockpile? You should still be able to click it and lay a blueprint, I think (although I am, notoriously, prone to imagining things).
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

starryknight64

Quote from: Frankenbeasley on May 09, 2015, 12:56:00 PM
Isn't that just showing red because of the lack of resources in your stockpile? You should still be able to click it and lay a blueprint, I think (although I am, notoriously, prone to imagining things).

You can always lay a blueprint independent of what resources you do/don't have. I can't lay down the blueprint for the geothermal generator because of one section of mud I can't get rid of.

HangOverGuy

- I'm not sure if it's already in but the ability to perform back surgery. Could have a high medicine skill, medical bed or prosthetic requirement.
- A super-duper (and expensive) bionic arm that gives a penalty to manipulation but allows a character to shoot with it!

hector212121

Maybe make Bone Bugs or something that occasionally eat skeletons?

No more dessicated remains sticking around for centuries!