Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king komodo

Quote from: astrosoup on September 06, 2015, 11:09:17 AM
Just picked this game up with a few days off, and the wife and I are totally obsessed. Played from 8PM-6AM, slept for four hrs and we're back at it.

Haven't read through this whole thing, but I want to suggest what I think are my cheapest ideas.

The thing I want the most is to be able to feel a sense of continuity once most or all of my original colonists die and have been replaced by pirates and drifters.

For starters I wish I could click on a grave and read that person's bio. This helps me remember who is who, and to remember the ambitions of the town founders so I could carry their legacies on in the design and direction of the town, even if they die off.

Being able to see a brief history off everything that has happened in a town journal. The AI story teller is super cool and makes all sorts of interesting things happen. I often wish I could recap and look back through the numerous tragedies and hardships that my poor citizens have endured. Notable events like someone dying/arriving, heat waves that made something difficult, etc.,- even just what is being already announced in the console, could be saved to a summary screen to highlight the most dramatic parts. (Maybe this is already there, and I haven't found it?)

Finally, maybe the ability to name buildings? I can already accomplish this with a zone, but it would be fun if I got to see the building name appear once in a while when a character is doing something relevant to it, to remind me that the stonecutter's workshop was originally built as a palace for one of my early characters, or that the prison was originally a barracks.

I feel like little things such as this would really round out the storytelling aspect, as they inject a sense of history that I want to see develop as time goes on, so that even if all the original characters die off, I feel like they are still part of an ongoing story. Likewise, notable people who pass through can all leave their mark in a way that offers me reminders of who they are and what their impact on the colony was, which would be really fun.

What a great, dramatic game. So excited to see what is going to be added, but we are already having so much fun with this. Thanks!

+1 to all of this. There is a history of the colony tab though it's just a couple graphs and making it more detailed wouldn't be a bad idea in my mind. I do wonder a little what you mean by "carry on their legacies..." because you could mean simply remind yourself what your original plan was or maybe a small blurb such as "James was always sad that he didn't get to run a dictatorship, although he will agree that it turned out for the better as he was not a fan of the paperwork it would've taken to force everyone to wear bunny slippers and smile all the time."

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

That would be funny to see
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

astrosoup

Quote from: king komodo on September 06, 2015, 01:20:22 PM

+1 to all of this. There is a history of the colony tab though it's just a couple graphs and making it more detailed wouldn't be a bad idea in my mind. I do wonder a little what you mean by "carry on their legacies..." because you could mean simply remind yourself what your original plan was or maybe a small blurb such as "James was always sad that he didn't get to run a dictatorship, although he will agree that it turned out for the better as he was not a fan of the paperwork it would've taken to force everyone to wear bunny slippers and smile all the time."

Mostly I am just referring to their individual bios and aspirations. I find myself creating towns around who the inhabitants are. For example, my current colony happens to have three members who want bionic body parts. So alot of the design of the town is geared towards making that happen. I have two full-time artists, lots of traps to re-set after a raid, and a deep prison where the doctors go to practice doing transplants on prisoners.

In my previous game, there was such a population turnover and extended crisis that I forgot what I was doing to begin with. I found myself wishing I could click the graves to remind myself of who the original inhabitants were and what I had planned for them so that I could continue the story with the two remaining inhabitants.

And yeah, graphs were not what I was hoping to see when clicking on the history tab. There are only about 5 people at a time, so I really have no use for stats. I couldn't even make sense of some of the numbers. The fun part of Rimworld is the story, not the metrics.

Klaatu

Be able to automatically sort the colonists tab based on the various tabs, by colonist name, and the specific skills, when clicking on them... i.e. make them sort from low to high and high to low for crafting

Be able to manually sort the colonists tab, and save those configurations.

Save crafting queues, to file/clipboard, and import them to game and other work benches.

Felix

at least 3 of them are "cheap" ideas I think :)

- Automatic animal-slaughter
I select a maximum number of  - for example - chicken. I want to have 50 female chicken and 5 male ones.
If I have more than 50 adult female chicken, the oldest will be automatically killed and processed.

- Copy/Paste for Work priorities
Would be nice to have a Copy/Paste function on the work properties - because I think that most people will give all colonists the same priorities - like I do.

- More steps for making food
It would be awesome to have some plants like coffee, that have to be grown, harvested, dried and roasted before getting into a coffee-machine that makes coffee that boosts work speed and makes the colonists need less sleep.
And once there is milk, I would love to make some cheese or something like that.
I think, the chain from crop to final product is too fast (But needed for some products - potatoes for example - in the beginning of the level)

- Planting grass for animals
It would be great to be able to plant plain grass for your animals that won't be harvested but stays until an animal eats it.

I'm missing a bit of long-term-motivation, but I think you will get that ;)
Just an Idea: At some point, I build the spaceship, start with all my people - but the rocket only gets to the next planet or continent, where I have other / more materials and other possibilities to build stuff...

Best regards
    Felix

b0rsuk

Explosions, mortars etc should sometimes destroy floors. It used to be technically impossible.

Some floors should burn, notably wooden floor and carpets.

blub01

Quote from: Felix on September 07, 2015, 05:03:31 AM
And once there is milk, I would love to make some cheese or something like that.

there already is milk.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

SaintD

Idle colonists should perform joy activities. They'll still be tagged as 'idle', but since they have nothing better to do they'll do the reasonable thing and go use any joy facilities that exist instead of wandering around.

It's what anyone would do if they had no work to do.

shaw357

Research Skill on the research bench: Improved Engineering

Reduces the chance an electrified device or conduct randomly explodes by 50%, causing your entire base made out of wood to burn to the ground, along with all of your friends that you've gotten to know and love in a mere six hours.

shaw357

Switching the manual priorities number rank system into an individual slider system. Where each colonist can be customized on their own work activities by clicking and dragging, for example, the hauling tab, to the left of one character's work tab to be placed behind cooking so that they cook after they haul; instead of just being a numerical system from 1 to 4.

Grenadier33

Adding a max crafting/cooking/whatever skill slider to the work stations in addition to the min crafting skill slider.  Having my 18 skill crafting guy making stone blocks while my 3 skill guy ruining perfectly good leather on awful dusters (or if the slider is in effect, just standing around being idle) blows.

jamesinar

Priorities for work stations. You should be able to set a priority for each work station. That way you don't have someone butchering or brewing when you have no meals prepared.

JimmyAgnt007

the ground should be cleaned before a floor is put down, so that when you build flooring they do the clean work before adding the 'stuff'

zlongshark

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing rim world for probably about 100hrs now and i have a couple of cheap suggestions:
(Sorry if these have already been repeated)

1. The ability to research new type of weapons based on weapons you have come in contact with.
E.g you find a mini-gun and then you can research it at the research bench and then you will be able to manufacture it on the smiting bench.

2. When animals start to get hypothermia they seek warm locations like humans.

3. I grow hydroponics and i think its silly that your crops start dying after the power goes off ( accept if the temperature drops too low) please correct this and make it more realistic, as your crops will be fine for 24 - 48 hours.

5. Add more crops to the hydroponics options, commonly grown food in hydroponics is broccoli, beans, pepper ect

6. Mortars are very inaccurate, a colonist with higher shooting skills should be hitting the  target more often.

7. An option to turn meat products into mince for animals like wargs ( this will make feeding them easier)

8. Probably not cheap but bee hives would be cool.

9. Option to convert hydroponics to to aquaponics ( using fish ), this would work like the researcher enhancer or the tool box thing lol.

10.  Colonist should be able to build targets for target practice, not just shooting at walls or sand bags.

Thank you for reading, really loving Rimworld and keep up the awesome work! ;)
"Who would have guessed you could order beer in the outer rim of the galaxy"

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I agree we should have targets to shoot at and bee hives for food as well as fish. Also fans for temp controll underground would be cool
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.