Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock5

Actually, seeing as all the quality construction seems to be furniture the obvious solution would be to have a new job called "Carpentry". Just like you have tailoring and smithing using crafting skill, carpentry would use construction skill.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Konscience

Well you can make furniture out of any material, not only wood...
"IKEA engineer" maybe?

mumblemumble

Make the history tab include all red, and yellow level events.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Alenerel

Quote from: Sola on December 11, 2016, 07:29:34 PM
Separate construction/crafting boxes in work tab for items that have quality (beds, art, furniture), and items that do not (walls, doors, stone blocks)

I'd like to allow constructors of lower quality to assemble a bunker in a hurry, but reserve the crafting of furniture, which can affect the moods of your colonists, to only the best one I've got.

Instead of "construction", maybe "quality construction > construction"?

This mod might be of your interest. It lets only the builder with most skill to build items that have quality, the rest of items like walls can be built by anyone. You can also choose the quality desired of the item, and the builder will construct and deconstruct it until it is that quality or superior:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754637870&searchtext=quality+builder

Imness

I think it would be nice to have a bit more flooring types but majorly I'd like to see maybe polished stone flooring, and as well it would be nice to have a electric stone cutting table would be really nice.

Thundercraft

Quote from: Imness on December 12, 2016, 09:22:19 AM
I think it would be nice to have a bit more flooring types but majorly I'd like to see maybe polished stone flooring, and as well it would be nice to have a electric stone cutting table would be really nice.

IMO, the problem with adding more floor types is the potential for balance issues.

In the vanilla game:
Concrete .... -1 beauty
Wood floor    ....... 0 beauty
Paved tile    ....... 0 beauty
Metal tile    ....... 2 beauty
Stone tile    ....... 2 beauty
Carpet (any color) .. 2 beauty
Smooth stone ..... 3 beauty
Silver tile ..... 3 beauty
Gold tile ..... 3 beauty

What level of beauty should be added for new types of floor? If they only provide 2 beauty, then wouldn't the only real reason to use them would be for aesthetics? There are already cheap-ish floor types that provide 2. And if new types of floor provide 3 beauty, then that would unbalance Silver and Gold tiles and Smoothed stone. Why build those if there's a new floor type that's cheaper?

There are several mods which add new floor types, including Floored, More Furniture, Vegetable Garden, Extra Floors (cuproPanda), Cupro's Alloys, Random Additions (cuproPanda), Powerless! (cuproPanda), and Expanded Power. But, almost without exception, the beauty they add is 2. So, I ask myself: Why bother to use them?

About the only mod flooring I find myself using are the "Tiled" floor types from Extra Floors. They have 2 beauty, but are quote, "easy to clean." So, I use them for kitchens, freezers, and places where the floor must be kept clean - at least until later in a game when I can afford to build copper and silver floors.

Well... that and sometimes cobblestone flooring (Extra Floors). It's like Smoothed stone in that it does not require materials, but it has 0 beauty and is relatively quick to build.

There's also Floor Equality, which adds parquet (beauty 3) and increases the beauty of stone tiles and carpet from 2 to 3 and increases wood floors from 0 to 2. But I decided that would harm game balance by making Smoothed stone and Silver and Gold floors pointless.

skinicism

Aromatic disorienting zones and electric
whirlshock storms are expected. However,
I'm not willing to accept responsibility for
doctors becoming too sick to doctor and
heading into whirlshock storms.

Alenerel

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 12, 2016, 11:51:11 AM
There's also Floor Equality, which adds parquet (beauty 3) and increases the beauty of stone tiles and carpet from 2 to 3 and increases wood floors from 0 to 2. But I decided that would harm game balance by making Smoothed stone and Silver and Gold floors pointless.

You are thinking too much, its much more simple. For adding floors is so simple as adding variations of the existing. For example, wood floor but with different look and stone floors but with different looks. There could be also expensive variations. For example a wood floor that has beauty 3 but that costs 10 wood instead of 3 and more work. Exactly the same as paved/concrete/metal floor. We need more options to choose and also current stone floors are ugly as hell. I like the ones in floored but dont always fit.

About the stats, I think that it should be rebalanced like this:

- No floor -1: no floor should be always punished
- Wood floor 1: cheap and fast to make.
- Concrete 0: very cheap floor and quick to make. HOWEVER it takes precious steel to make, so I would consider also making it 1. Also with wood being 1 it makes no sense... So maybe 1 too.
- Paved tile 1: same as above.
- Metal tile 2: Keep the same value.
- Stone tile 2: Keep the same value but needs A LOT to have the work reduced.
- Carpet 2: Keep the same value but would increase the work.
- Smooth stone 2: Reduce from 3 to 2 cause costs no resources at all and makes no sense.
- Sterile tile 1-2: it costs a ton, so I would give it some beauty in addition to being sterile.
- Silver tile 4: Are we crazy? Silver 3? It costs 85 DAMN resources to build it!!! I would reduce it to 50 and increase the beauty to 4.
- Gold tile 6: ARE WE DAMN CRAZY!? IT COSTS 85 DAMN GOLD TO BUILD ONE FREAKING TILE THAT IS 3 BEAUTY!!!!! I would put its beauty to something like 6, not 5, maybe more than 6 but Im not sure about the cost. DEFINITELY less than 85.

Sola

Chickens do not need to lay forbidden eggs.

I have 16 chickens, all restricted to animal area 1, but they're laying unfertilized eggs that I can't automatically move to my freezer, unless I randomly see one laying on the ground and unforbid it?  It's a little inconvenient.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Thundercraft

Quote from: Alenerel on December 12, 2016, 04:09:34 PM
- No floor -1: no floor should be always punished

No floors should be punished. But I'm fine with the -2 penalty as is.

- Concrete 0: very cheap floor and quick to make. HOWEVER it takes precious steel to make, so I would consider also making it 1. Also with wood being 1 it makes no sense... So maybe 1 too.

Concrete is supposed to be ugly as it's all about being practical (and it gives 100% to move speed).

Anyway, a mere 1 unit of steel is cheap. Next to Smoothed stone, it's the cheapest type of floor (material-wise, but not work-wise).

Instead of steel, though, it should be made of something else. I wish that vanilla allowed us to create actual concrete as a material, like certain mods that I could name. (On a similar note, I think it's silly that Sandbags require steel. It should require sand that we must dig up from sand tiles, like we can do with cuproPanda's CorePanda.)

Quote from: Alenerel on December 12, 2016, 04:09:34 PM- Stone tile 2: Keep the same value but needs A LOT to have the work reduced.

As things stand, I often struggle to have enough stone bricks on hand to build stone tiles, so I often hesitate to bother using it. I think it's fine the way it is. There's no reason to reduce the work required, either.

Quote from: Alenerel on December 12, 2016, 04:09:34 PM- Carpet 2: Keep the same value but would increase the work.

Why increase the work? All that will do is discourage players from laying carpet. It's enough that we have to grow and harvest the cotton and make all that cloth.

Quote from: Alenerel on December 12, 2016, 04:09:34 PM- Smooth stone 2: Reduce from 3 to 2 cause costs no resources at all and makes no sense.

Please, no. It does make sense. Smoothed stone takes a very long time to complete. That is why it doesn't require any resources. Maybe it does need a little re-balancing. But if the beauty is reduced to 2 and nothing else is changed, nobody would Smooth stone anymore.

- Sterile tile 1-2: it costs a ton, so I would give it some beauty in addition to being sterile.
- Silver tile 4: Are we crazy? Silver 3? It costs 85 DAMN resources to build it!!! I would reduce it to 50 and increase the beauty to 4.
- Gold tile 6: ARE WE DAMN CRAZY!? IT COSTS 85 DAMN GOLD TO BUILD ONE FREAKING TILE THAT IS 3 BEAUTY!!!!! I would put its beauty to something like 6, not 5, maybe more than 6 but Im not sure about the cost. DEFINITELY less than 85.

Good points. And, for the most part, I agree. However, if we look at an entire room with perhaps a dozen or so tiles, an increase of a mere 1 or 2 points of beauty per tile can add up quickly. I'm just saying that the impact may become logarithmic instead of linear and be a bit unbalancing.

In addition to adjusting the beauty and/or resources of silver and gold tiles, perhaps the value and/or rarity of metals like silver and gold needs to be reconsidered? For instance, I think it's pretty strange that Silver is used as the base currency, yet it's only worth half the price of Steel.

MikeLemmer

Please link the jungle insect chirping to Music Volume instead of Game Volume. It's frustrating that I can't mute it while listening to podcasts without turning off all sound effects in the game.

bier00t

Languages

Different tribes speak different languages. When you don't know language of a tribe, even when they are peaceful they behave differntly. At high level of science you can invent automatic translator to help this issue.

Gummy

* Some unique disease for animals
* A new system where the colonists feel like going to the bathroom and get dirty (with blood, dust, etc.)
* New deserts
* Some sorts of books that you can buy from traders and can train your colonists to level up faster in research, cook, repair etc.
* A chest where the colonists put their personal items
* Eyeglasses for the disabled eye (new diseases) and sunglasses for style :P
And Sorry for the bad english (if theres any wrong word)

1 Kiwi

A cheap idea?

What about adding another event? Like a raider or enemy that is tasked with
-killing/kidnapping a specific colonist
-rescuing a prisoner
-stealing a particular item
rather than just having the goal of slaughtering the colony?
Dusty keyboard

AWildman

Different kinds of infestations but less intense than bugs. For instance, rat infestations that don't attack players but do set up nests near food stockpiles or corpse dumping areas.