Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

I had an idea for pilings, which would be like bridges but double the cost and longer to build, but would support walls. I miss being able to make cool swamp colonies on the edge of ponds.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

SpaceDorf

Something I thought would have been a mod by now :

An Alert or a GUI overlay for the Pawn : ETA of Caravans. See how long it takes them to their current destination without switching to world view.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kirby23590

Since the Loading Tips help you how to play the game...

Why make it also make the loading text also tell some parts of the Lore and parts from the Fiction primer?

It adds more flavor into the game, from telling about how people from different cultures and worlds came into the rims via crashing into the planet or awakening from the ancient ruins and etc... Or about glitterworlds and urbworlds along with the mystery of archotech technology...  :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

thethoam

more medieval and early modern weapon
currently we have bow > revolver the gap is to far
add: Crossbow, Flintlock, Musket, etc

the more crazy ideas is
add Ancient Magic Stone as source of energy
add Ancient Magical weapon
ex: Bow with explosion, bow with steroid
because bow is so useless in this game

TrashMan

Solar flares affecting mechanoids.

Mechanoids being attracted to your base based on electric output.

Raiders based on percieved wealth (specifically in areas in which trade caravans and guests are allowed)

Other factions based on distance and standing and percieved defenses.

TrashMan

Quote from: LWM on March 13, 2020, 01:31:13 PM
Maybe the fog doesn't block whatever radar the turrets use?

If the turret uses radar. They might use thermal imaging or something else. Experimental sentry turrets use regular cameras and image recognition software.
you could even have turrets that CAN be tricked/blocked in one way, and turrets that cannot.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: TrashMan on March 18, 2020, 07:33:08 AM
you could even have turrets that CAN be tricked/blocked in one way, and turrets that cannot.

This would be an interesting approach to turret upgrades. Different ability of Friend-Foe recognition.

If the turrets truly only used radar and/or thermal imaging, they would shoot at anything that fits the target parameters.
i.e. it moves, it looks vaguely human
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

TrashMan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 18, 2020, 02:31:30 PM
Quote from: TrashMan on March 18, 2020, 07:33:08 AM

This would be an interesting approach to turret upgrades. Different ability of Friend-Foe recognition.

If the turrets truly only used radar and/or thermal imaging, they would shoot at anything that fits the target parameters.
i.e. it moves, it looks vaguely human

Usually (at least in RL experiments), base staff would have IFF chips on them to prevent turrets from shooting them. Fun fact - early experiments ended up in a LOT of dead animals and spent ammo. Apparently, no one thought of telling a turret to STOP shooting.

Also, thermal targeting in deserts - not a good idea.

Prologue

I have a simple balancing request. I always found it odd why the charge rifle isn't that much stronger than a assault rifle while also having a smaller range, even though it is technologically  more advanced.

There was a mod that solved this problem for me for version 1.0 but since there is no 1.1 mod yet I'll hope that it can perhaps be changed in the game instead.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1610830566

prototype2001

https://imgur.com/a/wguONVO
2 cheap ideas in 1 photo.

Color code the ground penetrating scanner,
green = jade yellow = gold etc for all minerals

Make steel slag chunks deteriorate outside because their pileup is unmanageable. 200 drop pod raid coming down? +200 steel slags across the map for you to haul and smelt. Mech cluster? +100 slags for you to haul.

I got plenty of steel from my 800% mining speed pawns thanks to drill hands and infinite steel deep scans, I don't want the slag clutter overtaking the entire map by year 10.

TrashMan

Pawn being able to cool off during heat waves by taking a dip in a river/lake/pond

Prologue

A display with the number of active mods in the mod menu.

lunaticneko

Top Royalty pawn being crappy (incapable of too many jobs, low skills, bad traits) gives "Idiot Leader, We're All Gonna Die!" negative mood. (Yes, the phrase was taken from a Thai political protest, let's see if we can make a better one.)

JaJe

Similar frostbite if the temperature is too low from the comfort of the pawn, make sunburn a thing if the pawn is outside and is too hot for the comfortable temperature.
I ate without a table and I liked it.

rinin

Inspiration mech serum and/or inspiring assistant.

Pretty straightforward. Serum could cause specific or random inspiration. Assistant could just increase probability of inspirations for a colonist.