Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Psyckosama on April 08, 2014, 11:05:36 AM
Quote from: Sion on April 08, 2014, 10:48:22 AM
Giblet cages should give raiders the fear debuff too.

Seconded!

In fact I think that should be one of their main uses. They can make small groups of raiders take a look, go "Um, yeah... to hell with this" and call off their attacks early.

I believe they already do affect raiders, but the effect is too small and the raiders rarely spend enough time for it to reach "eff this I'm going home" levels.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Towely_ban

I see its been mentioned a few times, but blood needs to decay outside. especially on sand and as it rains.

And perhaps not everyone needs to get so upset because things are "ugly"... im sure not every colonist needs to give a damn about a messy front yard. On the flip side some colonists should worry about this even more.

Monkfish

Quote from: FtDLulz on April 09, 2014, 08:01:07 PM
Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on April 09, 2014, 07:45:50 PM
1. Not sure how cheap this is in terms of either coding time or cpu cycles, but I have a suggestion for countering the wall-off-a-colony-inside-a-mountain strategy: if a colonist doesn't have any available path to the edge of the map through a door or open space, the colonist receives a -10 happiness buff that lasts at least as long as there is no path. Maybe call it a "Feels Trapped" thought.

2. It would make sense if prisoners would occasionally attempt to escape by turning hostile and making a run for the edge of the map. Low happiness, moderate fear, and high health would make sense as the most likely precondition for attempting to escape. Escape attempt events by groups of prisoners are the next logical step.

Edit: Almost forgot! 3. An event in which a novel plant lands on the map, spreads geometrically, and must be destroyed with fire, explosives, or simply by time-consuming plant-cutting. Possible effects of the plant: turning areas of fertile terrain into infertile terrain, area damage effects (i.e. anything walking through it gets hurt), negative psychological effects within a certain radius of the plant.

Seconded. Those are some great ideas imo.
Thirdedededed. I especially like the escape attempt idea.

Quote from: Towely_ban on April 11, 2014, 07:42:14 AM
I see its been mentioned a few times, but blood needs to decay outside. especially on sand and as it rains.

And perhaps not everyone needs to get so upset because things are "ugly"... im sure not every colonist needs to give a damn about a messy front yard. On the flip side some colonists should worry about this even more.
Agreed. Perhaps what a colonist considers "hideous" could vary based on their background and skills? For example, a miner wouldn't find a dark, messy and cramped area hideous. After all, they're a miner and would be used to it, whereas the average Joe would hate it. Similarly, perhaps someone with good growing skills won't find outdoor areas covered in crap particularly messy, but average Joe would.
<insert witty signature here>

wakko151

Integrate your modding community. Alot of companies try not to put there players home made mods in because they don't know about all the legal stuff. But if someone made a mod like The Wood mod, which adds trees, wood, and wooden furniture... and people seem to enjoy using it, then what better way to say thank you so much, then adding that exact feature into the game. You wouldn't have to steal there code specifically or you could simply ask the mod developer if you could use his code the developer to officially add there brilliant idea and hard work into a game they thoroughly enjoy playing.. i think if you start there you will see what people want.

Sion

Each colonist have a random color on it's path, so its possible to differentiate who are going where, when several colonists are pathing thru a door or any other 1 tile space.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Psyckosama

Here's an idea...

Locking Doors to control the passage and flow of your colonists.

You simply click on the door, hit the "Lock" icon, and now unless violently forced open or deactivated... it won't open. :)

Sion

Quote from: Psyckosama on April 12, 2014, 04:51:18 AM
Here's an idea...

You simply click on the door, hit the "Lock" icon, and now unless violently forced open or deactivated... it won't open. :)
Great idea!

humilian

This seems to me like it'd be easy, but I don't know programming one bit.

I'd really like it though if, when rescuing a downed colony member, the rescuer would choose the nearest unoccupied bed to path to, instead of the downed colonist's designated bed, which might be all the way across my base through heavy enemy fire.

humilian

Quote from: Sion on April 12, 2014, 06:34:19 AM

The ability to manually open doors would be nice, too. Once my colonists are in position to make with the hail of gunfire, I could let the enemies through rather than waiting for them to break the door down. Then again I don't find myself in the situation where I'd need to at all since I've put a many more hours into this game and my defensive stategies have morphulated. The functionality might come in handy, once in a while.

confusedwings

Add some humor specially in the 'extra info'

example:
Torture prisoner: "Beat them hardly or get them married"
Tree: "Really!?! never saw one in real life...?"
squirrel: "kinda looks like Alvin and those chipmunks"
etc.  etc.

CremionisD

I find that I would really like to see the time of day somewhere (I mean the actual real-world time, not game time or anything like that). Like, for example top-right corner of the screen.

Don't know if this is really a "feature", but it's cheap!

Darkfirephoenix

CremionisD: Are you crazy?! Do you want to turture us more than we already are with the ability to see how late it has gotten (and then know how much time we have wasted playing this game)? :P

I like the idea in it should be relatively easy to implement... But it wouldn't really improve the gaming experience, but it's still a good idea! :D

kdfsjljklgjfg

Being outside in the rain should reduce happiness, at least while sleeping. Also, another thought: for a colonist's first few days with the colony, they should get a "happy for shelter" sort of bonus to happiness during rain if they're inside, to reflect the fact that they may not have had shelter before. The things you take for granted...

Sion

Quote from: kdfsjljklgjfg on April 13, 2014, 04:48:50 PM
Being outside in the rain should reduce happiness, at least while sleeping. Also, another thought: for a colonist's first few days with the colony, they should get a "happy for shelter" sort of bonus to happiness during rain if they're inside, to reflect the fact that they may not have had shelter before. The things you take for granted...

Also a "Happy that I survived" bonus to happiness, after recovery from a incapacitation.

Pirx Danford

- In the pawn list show a weapon symbol (crossed swords, pistol?) beside the name if the pawn is armed, on hovering the mouse over the symbol display a tooltip with the weapons name (maybe also display shooting skill there).

- Also in the pawn list, display a tooltip on each pawns task checkbox showing the level, exp and passion for that skill.

- Healing fallen faction pawns: Instead of just capturing immobilized non pirate pawns, also allow healing them. On release the relation with the faction will improve a little.