Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huxi

A few days ago the grave of one of my dead colonists was hit by a lightning bolt and he burned away entirely. This is actually still bugging me.

Therefore I'd like to suggest another grave option. Something along the lines of a sarcophagus that can be built indoors which defaults to only be used for colonists. Other colonists shouldn't be able to walk over it, i.e. it should work like a table and not like a lamp or a grave.

So this is the cheap idea.

A more complex one involves the following:
I'd like to be able to build a nice mausoleum for my dead colonists, with flowers and all that. Death of a colonist should produce a negative grief/mourn effect on colonists (beside the usual effect of seeing a dead body) that had social interactions with the dead person and putting them into a sarcophagus/mausoleum should reduce (or in the long run, remove) that negative effect.

This would also mean that the death of a colonist with high Social skill would likely have a higher impact on the other colonists than one with a low.

ShadowDragon8685

There's already a pretty hefty "Colonist unburied" penalty, so you want to get dead colonists in the ground/burnt away/explodinated into tiny bone chips as soon as you possibly can.

I'd like to second the call for sarcophagi. Graves in the dirt are for raiders, but my people deserve to be memorialized.
Raiders must die!

Lothar

A mass grave option would be nice something that you could fit maybe ten bodies into or so because these singular graves take up quite a bit of space.

huxi

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 11, 2013, 06:05:53 PM
I'd like to second the call for sarcophagi. Graves in the dirt are for raiders, but my people deserve to be memorialized.

That's the point. It bugs me that I can't even remember his name. He died pretty early and was one of the "original three"...

Seppukun

Quote from: Matty on October 27, 2013, 12:28:16 AM
Not sure on the coding capabilities (or if it's been said)

-What about a fire hydrant or sprinkler system where if placed, fire has a 50% chance of going out. Or something to that effect.

I had this same idea earlier today because fires in RimWorld are the bane of my existence.

Sprinkler system would be a 1x1 placeable structure; it has an area of effect, like sun lamps, and requires power, but only 100 W. Actively drains fires, but a new fire could start (boomrat, molotov cocktail) and they make firefighting 2x more effective.

OR

Sprinklers as a research item / base upgrade. Makes firefighting 250% more effective in covered rooms (no placeable, just an upgrade.)

AwMeGawd

Not sure on the coding cost of this but ....

Could the raiders just raid instead of trying to exterminate the entire colony.

I suggest a different strategy for raiders. Maybe they just attack out lying equipment and once destroyed they grab the scrap and run. This will force different defense stratagems and the consideration of risk of deployment of assets.   

You could always create marauders who could be the cold blooded killers.

Joedoe1025

Quote from: Seppukun on November 11, 2013, 07:59:44 PM
Quote from: Matty on October 27, 2013, 12:28:16 AM
Not sure on the coding capabilities (or if it's been said)

-What about a fire hydrant or sprinkler system where if placed, fire has a 50% chance of going out. Or something to that effect.

I had this same idea earlier today because fires in RimWorld are the bane of my existence.

Ditto, A fire suppression system is almost a MUST for this game. I built a mountain stronghold and lost half of it because a stupid boomrat decided to go off. There are situations where Fire is even more dangerous then the raiders.

Adeelos

How about a toggle switch for wire tiles? That way players can fill a stack of batteries with energy and then severe their connection to the network without having to sell the wire, and then rebuild it when the reserves are needed.

mileskeller1

Research Ideas:

Load-Distributing Backpacks - +50% Carry Total (so you can haul more things from wrecks on the other side of the map)

Flame Retardant construction - Walls and sandbags have a 20% chance to snuff a fire automatically
--------

Just some thoughts, if people have already mentioned stuff like this, ignore it. I haven't read through the whole thread yet :)

Tynan, keep up the great work. I saw a video about this game and it only took me about an hour to realize I had to support your efforts!

Workload

Solar panels should have to be cleaned or it loses effectiveness over time.

NexusTrimean

Concussion Grenades. Like Frag grenades, but instead of dealing damage they have a very high Chance to stun an enemy for a slightly extended period, and a low chance to incapacitate. Deal very little damage.

Pendryn

Quote from: Workload on November 12, 2013, 06:41:57 PM
Solar panels should have to be cleaned or it loses effectiveness over time.

I like it, but wouldn't this essentially be covered with the everyday wear and tear?
Reticulating all the splines.

Nasikabatrachus

Badass Robot Man.
He comes for your doods. Gals too.
He won't go away.

NeonSali

In terms of warfare. I think you should have the type of technology used in WW1... aka...

1. Trenches
2. Maned turrets (instead of automatic ones, seems a bit more realistic.)
3. A limit on bullets (bullets could be made by a colonist using metal)

Bizz Keryear

Its very long thread, so have patience if it has come up already.

• I second the powerless walls, since the game AI tries to hook stuff up on unpowered pillars.

• I second fences / fence gates, since I run in the trouble not to want to have a roof.

• I also second windows. Windows are unpassable like walls and supports roofs like walls but let the light in.  Maybe weeker I mean less HP. I have glass walls in mind.

• I also like and second stronger walls. may support bigger roofs. (less supports needed)
My own ideas are not that cheap, though.

• Unbuild structures, instead of just selling walls and having collapsing the roof. Mark them to unbuild them. It would be just the reverse of building it. Means the workers would remove the roof first.
    Well, I think structures shouldn't go "poof" anyway. (but it could tip off balancing).

• A food storage shelf. Which should be preferred. I hate how my colonists are complaining that they have to eat dispenser paste, but instantaneous turn all harvest into it. And I hate also that my colonist are starving while solar flares cause that's exactly the time no other food is available. (beside I had a bug where the flare didn't end ... almost all colonist have starved and then I loaded a save and it was gone instantly)
    So my idea when they food they sore it first in the shelf and if its full then they put it into the storage area. And if they are Hungry they take it out of the shelf first.
    Since food isn't decaying yet I thought things like a fridge are a bit overboard.

• I have a little trouble to find the ones who are better at weapon using (from my allrounder). So a overview  page which also shows the stats of the chars would be nice. Preferably somehow mixed onto the task page

• Little improvement: When selecting a character from the overview then not just jump to it select it. It is highly likely that you want to do something with it. I suggest a right click only selects the character without going there.

• Another little improvement: The option to keep messages.

• Another message idea: Keep the message tracking the event. So if a wanderer / raiders / whatever appears go to where they are right now, not where they where.

• last message idea: (related to the one above) if they have left / the attack is over / ship has left com range / whatsoever is over then delete the message automatically

• Last idea: give the AI storry teller faces ... or at least colors ... they are kinda hard to tell apart.
more (suggestions) to come, I think.