Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayhorse

Insomniac: Wakes up randomly through out the night, takes longer gain rest.
Vegetarian: Prefers to eat meals without meat ( Will seek out meals without meat ) If no vegetarian meals are available they will eat a meal with meat, but gain a happiness debuff (10-15) for eating the meal if it only has meat (If it is Potatoes, Berries and Muffalo meat they will only eat a portion of the meal; therefore only filling the hunger partway)

Phos Hilaron

Tynan,

I got another idea. I think it would be fairly cheap. Could you implement a "stay in home-zone" command? Sort of like the command used to recruit units but instead it keeps them from leaving your base. Funny story about this:

Twice in my last game I wasn't paying attention and one of my colonists wandered into the camp of a besieging group of pirates. Both times I rescued the colonists only after they had been badly wounded by the pirates. Both of them have broken spines. So I have two totally immobilized colonists that are living in my hospital because I don't have the heart to euthanize them!

A "stay in home-zone" command will allow me to ensure that my colonists stay near the base while there are hostiles on the map.

Thanks! :)

thedee05

Add small mission/objectives/bucket list to each pawn. Individual character stats would show what it is they want to do in the new world.
Example: Hunt, find gold, meet a pirate, punch a muffalo, eat snake, travel 26.2 miles, ect.

Just little side stories that might improve their moods for a short period of time.

Hayhorse

/\ +1 Maybe once all have been completed they gain a permanent mood boost? If they have severe head trauma then the list is reset to a new random set.

tommytom

May not be cheap, depending on how far you want to program it, but a random event where hostile colonies have a "peace party" where they request a diner, etc in your colony. Basically, turn them neutral during a visit, they walk to your nearest dining hall (if you have one) and then leave. Gives a slight buff to their rep like releasing prisoners.

You could later do a less cheap version (?) where it's a trojan horse and they attack from inside your base or sabotage things (like batteries or power conduits, poison food).

Or, have a "spy" where an unannounced visitor (or announce them as a friendly colony as a ruse) dressed as another colony you are friendly with (not auto-attacked by turrets) does something similar like getting in the base and sabotaging something or simply arresting/kidnapping someone.

dumblore

Worker/Natural Incident Report Suggestions:
Pretty cheap and simple to do (I bet).
*Forest Fire Incident
(A forest fire has been started. Extinguish it before it gets larger!)
=Spawns fires that consume a 3by3 block wide radius in an area with concentrated vegetation. Not applicable on player-made forests / farm lands.
*Mass Migration
([Travellers/A herd of (type of animal)] have [joined/migrated to] your colony.)
=Spawns a group of colonists/animals with 2-5 (for immigrants) and 3-10 (for animals) inhibitants. In the case of the immigrants, the incident case should be set to a rare scale to prevent massive build-up of colonists leading to a much easier game that might tend to become boring in the long run, or rather the opposite, so that the player might have a hard time feeding the colonists or building shelter for them, which might lead to alot of psychological breakdowns and 'deserting the colony' cases.
*Suicide Incident
(One of your colonists,(Name of Colonist), has given up on living.)
=Might be too harsh, but still, its life. Everytime a colonist reaches his mental threshold point or lower, the percentage of the incident will increase for that certain colonist. If activated, the certain colonist will die.
*Faction Gift Offering
(The faction (name of faction) has offered you a gift.)
=Spawns a random item/s in your stockpile with more advanced items having a rarer chance to be gifted. Has increased chance when your colonist/s celebrated their birthday. The chance rate stacks with every colonist who has a birthday that day and a day afterwards.
*Random Injury Incident
([Name of colonist] has injured his (leg/arm/hand) while working.
=Injures the colonists with a random injury in the leg/arm/hand while working. Only considered with the mining/constructing/crafting/growing/repairing jobs. Has 0% chance of happening if the colonist is not doing these sorts of things.

There are alot more I could give but these are the only incidents I should suggest for now to keep your burden light. Hope this is included in-game! Many thanks!  8)

Proceeda

Don't know if you consider this cheap, but:
Basically, adding a hauler skill bar.

High level haulers can carry more haulable stuff such as weapons, armor, crops, etc. The more the character hauls the higher the skill goes. The logic behind that compared to real life is questionable though hehe.. Gaining experience from moving items around? I guess...

Anyways, I was also thinking of adding onto that idea with an ammo system, but this is probably way more than a cheap implementation.
Basically, higher level haulers can also carry more ammo clips with them at one time. For example, a level 12 hauler can carry 12 clips on them. I think this would make the game a little more realistic and add more of a challenge to the game. That would mean adding a new bill to the ammo crafting table to make clips for ammo, and making clips available to purchase from combat suppliers as well as one type of item that can be found in wrecks. Clips can be stored in ammo crates and can hold a large amount where characters will automatically reload on empty.

This would make it balanced when fighting sieges and attackers as they have limited ammo, however so do you.

By itself, it also makes Melee skill more important.. Say your characters run out of ammo?
Oh, and why not let experienced haulers carry more weapons at a time that they can switch out.

... definitely not cheap ... but it's an implementation that would enhance other vanilla features and create more enriching stories.

MyNameIsMike

Minefields. Just bring back the old mining charges, except set them to be slightly more powerful, proximity activated (like turrets, but much smaller range) and make them pretty expensive but very worth it to build.

MyNameIsMike

Preset Defense posting. Add two buttons, one that lets you save the position your colonists are in when they defend, and another to send them immediately back to those when needed.

TrashMan

Quote from: giannikampa on February 14, 2015, 06:26:34 PM
fast metabolism: colonist's food bar drops faster than normal

Shouldn't that include faster healing and resistance to infections/maladies or something. A fast metabolism has it's pros.

Haplo

Something for beginners:
Give the first time users an ingame help, that Temperate/Mountain is the best area for a first game.
(Ain't it?)
Maybe a difficulty indicator: Easy, Medium, Hard?

Kirid

The building menu should show if and how much power is required for a structure.
Power required is also missing from the stats tab.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Skaven252

Mining support pillar: A simple construction (wood or metal) that keeps the roof from caving in, but doesn't create a home zone so that your colonists won't rush in to clean rubble from the mine.

giannikampa

Quote from: TrashMan on February 17, 2015, 04:54:57 AM
Quote from: giannikampa on February 14, 2015, 06:26:34 PM
fast metabolism: colonist's food bar drops faster than normal

Shouldn't that include faster healing and resistance to infections/maladies or something. A fast metabolism has it's pros.

I had the idea of much more traits after the game "darkest dungeon"; there your heroes get so many traits, some positive, some negative, the result is unique pawns every time you play.
Of course your thought is reasonable, I just trew some basic things, hope they msy become real soon as detailed and deep as possible.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Mithradates

Cannibal-specific diseases that spread through eating tainted food.

Non-cannibal colonists forced to eat human meat for too long a time will meet in the kitchen one day ("taking their meals at the same time"), revolt, kill the chef, go around killing all the willing cannibals, start destroying random non-walls, and then leave in a group for one of the other settlements.

This last one might take longer, actually...but I could (reasonably) see it taking ~ 4 hours, as the constituent parts are all there.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.