Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mithradates

I still want my talking dogs and wood-burning furnaces/steam engines (Wood for electricity (poor), heat, and cooking food)!
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

MrWiggles

Quote from: Proceeda on February 16, 2015, 11:06:57 PM
Don't know if you consider this cheap, but:
Basically, adding a hauler skill bar.

High level haulers can carry more haulable stuff such as weapons, armor, crops, etc. The more the character hauls the higher the skill goes. The logic behind that compared to real life is questionable though hehe.. Gaining experience from moving items around? I guess...

Anyways, I was also thinking of adding onto that idea with an ammo system, but this is probably way more than a cheap implementation.
Basically, higher level haulers can also carry more ammo clips with them at one time. For example, a level 12 hauler can carry 12 clips on them. I think this would make the game a little more realistic and add more of a challenge to the game. That would mean adding a new bill to the ammo crafting table to make clips for ammo, and making clips available to purchase from combat suppliers as well as one type of item that can be found in wrecks. Clips can be stored in ammo crates and can hold a large amount where characters will automatically reload on empty.

This would make it balanced when fighting sieges and attackers as they have limited ammo, however so do you.

By itself, it also makes Melee skill more important.. Say your characters run out of ammo?
Oh, and why not let experienced haulers carry more weapons at a time that they can switch out.

... definitely not cheap ... but it's an implementation that would enhance other vanilla features and create more enriching stories.
How in the world is hauling a skill? Its just menial labor. Your arms can only carry so much weight, and so much volume.

I get that its really dumb, that the pawns can't bundle what appears to us Humans as obviously low weight, low volume items or items with low weight that can be condensed.  But that can be a pretty PITA problem to solve. It requires probably going through each item in the game, and giving it more information, so that way it can be hauled differently.

And the only way to increase the hauling capability of a pawn, would be very similar how its done in real life. Tools. Wheel Barrows, pallets and pallet jacks.

Mithradates

Give us the Gravity Giants/Dwarves! Those shouldn't be teribly hard to implement (just don't have the giants be perminently weakened - given enough time, they should build up a normal level of muscle-mass).
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Sartain

Make some of the more advanced research require Research Schematics you have to buy before you can even research it. The research "metagame" requires a good deal of extension as far as I can tell.

tommytom

Quote from: MrWiggles on February 18, 2015, 07:56:47 AM

High level haulers can carry more haulable stuff such as weapons, armor, crops, etc. The more the character hauls the higher the skill goes. The logic behind that compared to real life is questionable though hehe.. Gaining experience from moving items around? I guess...

Anyways, I was also thinking of adding onto that idea with an ammo system, but this is probably way more than a cheap implementation.
Basically, higher level haulers can also carry more ammo clips with them at one time. For example, a level 12 hauler can carry 12 clips on them. I think this would make the game a little more realistic and add more of a challenge to the game. That would mean adding a new bill to the ammo crafting table to make clips for ammo, and making clips available to purchase from combat suppliers as well as one type of item that can be found in wrecks. Clips can be stored in ammo crates and can hold a large amount where characters will automatically reload on empty.

This would make it balanced when fighting sieges and attackers as they have limited ammo, however so do you.

By itself, it also makes Melee skill more important.. Say your characters run out of ammo?
Oh, and why not let experienced haulers carry more weapons at a time that they can switch out.

... definitely not cheap ... but it's an implementation that would enhance other vanilla features and create more enriching stories.
How in the world is hauling a skill? Its just menial labor. Your arms can only carry so much weight, and so much volume.

I get that its really dumb, that the pawns can't bundle what appears to us Humans as obviously low weight, low volume items or items with low weight that can be condensed.  But that can be a pretty PITA problem to solve. It requires probably going through each item in the game, and giving it more information, so that way it can be hauled differently.

And the only way to increase the hauling capability of a pawn, would be very similar how its done in real life. Tools. Wheel Barrows, pallets and pallet jacks.
I agree and disagree.
If you ever did manual labor being a little weakling, you will gain muscle, learn to handle objects better ways, etc. It's labeled "dumb labor", but you can always learn something new or gain physical strength.

The cheapest way to implement it would be hauler skill controlling how efficient they are. Like: hauler lvl 0 has a 0.1 walk speed and hauler lvl 10 has 0.5 walk speed and hauler lvl 20 has 1.0 walk speed. It would make sense as carrying heavy stuff would make you stronger/faster.

Also, this would penalize you for putting your doctor/cook/grower/etc as a hauler as they waste a ton of time. It would be brutal in the early game, but when you get that one hauler who is good at nothing else and can max out, it would be great. However, that would be assuming haulers would get a speed BUFF, and it doesnt seem right they move faster than normal when hauling and kinda broken if they can zip around at 2x speed when not hauler. Might be fair to make them 2.0x speed when not hauling but only 1.0x when hauling with 20 skill level but also seems weird that everyone would get super fast just from moving stuff around (like constructors hauling materials), but I guess it could get skilled up ONLY from hauling slag/chunks. You could get a super fast hunter/hauler.

Hmm... Or maybe just have a "body builder" trait that gets speed gain from hauling and his negatives would be he can't do anything but fight and haul.

dareddevil7

painkillers, more types of alcohol, because i want to make Max Payne

MrWiggles

Quote from: tommytom on February 18, 2015, 02:59:55 PM

I agree and disagree.
If you ever did manual labor being a little weakling, you will gain muscle, learn to handle objects better ways, etc. It's labeled "dumb labor", but you can always learn something new or gain physical strength.

The cheapest way to implement it would be hauler skill controlling how efficient they are. Like: hauler lvl 0 has a 0.1 walk speed and hauler lvl 10 has 0.5 walk speed and hauler lvl 20 has 1.0 walk speed. It would make sense as carrying heavy stuff would make you stronger/faster.

Also, this would penalize you for putting your doctor/cook/grower/etc as a hauler as they waste a ton of time. It would be brutal in the early game, but when you get that one hauler who is good at nothing else and can max out, it would be great. However, that would be assuming haulers would get a speed BUFF, and it doesnt seem right they move faster than normal when hauling and kinda broken if they can zip around at 2x speed when not hauler. Might be fair to make them 2.0x speed when not hauling but only 1.0x when hauling with 20 skill level but also seems weird that everyone would get super fast just from moving stuff around (like constructors hauling materials), but I guess it could get skilled up ONLY from hauling slag/chunks. You could get a super fast hunter/hauler.

Hmm... Or maybe just have a "body builder" trait that gets speed gain from hauling and his negatives would be he can't do anything but fight and haul.
Well, I happen to have done work like. I remember being quite intimidated moving pallets filled with bottle water 8 to 11 feet tall. @.@

But what you're mostly talking about, would better relate to a concept of Stats. Or maybe more generally, a concept of sub skills, that give synergy bonuses to other skills. And then these concept of strength, or endurance would apply to a lot more then just hauling.

Mithradates

New Trait; Taste for the Paste.

Gives a mood bonus for eating nutrient paste instead of a debuff.

It has to be called exactly that.

TrashMan

You are reffering to something like a volume/weight value to items? The lower the value, the more items a colonist can carry?
Or maybe something simpler. MAX STACK value which tells how many stacks of items X a colonist can carry.

Since colonists currently don't have a strength value, the mass of the items is irrelevant.

rexlord

I pretty ideas to be included in the game

----------------------- First Idea --------------------------

A settler with skill medicine at least 10 points, can interact with a surgical table to
collect from a fresh corpse all parts intact and store them in a cold room.
A settler who has one or more broken parts of the body, can interact with the surgical
table to make you replace the broken parts.

the idea develops into parts that now you list:

1. Creating surgical table. 1x2 (obtainable through research)
2. A settler with skill medicine at least 10 points.
3. Use the table to dissect a dead body cool.
4. Bring the parts removed from a body in a cold room.
5. The settlers can interact with the surgical table
6. Use the table to operate settlers injured and replace broken parts.

----------------------- Second Idea --------------------------

A settler with the skill to build at least 10 points.
Can build a well with blocks of stone.
A settler who feels very hot can satiate the desire
going to drink at the well to get some relief.

1. Creating the well usually circular in shape 2x2. (obtainable through research)
2. A settler with the skill to build at least 10 points.
3. The settlers can interact with the well.

----------------------- Third Idea --------------------------
A settler with skill craftsman least 10 points.
Can repair and reprogram via Machining table only Scyther.
The Scyther reprogrammed, can recharge via Station Batteries Scyther
and can perform automatic configuration via "program table"
hunting, gathering and cleaning.

1. Creating Station Batteries Scyther 2x2. (obtainable through research)
2. A settler with the skill to build at least 10 points.
3. A settler with skill craftsman least 10 points.
4. Scyther reprogrammed can interact with the Station Batteries Scyther.
5. The Station Batteries Scyther requires energy to charge
6. The Scyther reprogrammed damaged can be repaired by the settlers.

I hope this can be useful and can improve the game.

Please let me know what you think about the ideas. If you excite or not.

I await your news
Hello and thanks

czarnoff

Christmas, new years, or RimWorld day:  Every year on the same day (E.G. Dec 11th) Survival meals, silver, or gold are dropped on the trade beacon with a message "Merry Chirstmas", "Merry RimWould" or whatever is proper.  If it can't be dropped on a trade beacon, it just gets dropped on the map somewhere. 

--
Birthdays change mood:
Any character over 40 gets a mood drop on their birthday.  Any character below 40 gets a mood boost on their birthday.  Optimist characters always get a mood boost on their birthday.  Pessimists always get a mood drop on their birthday. 

Gaesatae

A button in the trade window to mark all items to be traded would be nice.

giannikampa

I think it's reasonabe: the more experienced you are in hauling the more you can haul, and faster, maybe. It would reflect the strenght of the pawns. Of course difference between a level 1 and a level 20 should reflect reality so not more than twice/tree times the quantity and few percents drop in movement speed while carrying.
Probably not the cheap idea requested in this tread, but good, IMO.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

A_Bandit!!!

With the tale-system now in the game, tombstones with a random tale from the dead colonist´s life complete with birthdate and time of death. Could probably use the sculptors table for making it. Right now there isnt any friendships or even basic relationships ingame, but it would be nice if colonists in the future would visit graves of friends from time to time.

EDIT: Right, this might be alot of work so forgive me if this is way to much work for nothing much. Aging of alcohol. You can store alcohol in a cool room , this effects its potency and also gives it a higher quality. This gives a small moodboost for the pawn consuming it, it also nets a higher price with exotic vendors.

Dr. Z

You should be able to set prorities for haulers, so they will haul distant items first without rapid prioritizing or forbidding everything else.
You should also be able to forbid things just for haulers, so if you have e.g. a mined out mine (yeah...) next to a building site, they should't haul it away, but the builders should be able to build with them.
Prasie the Squirrel!