Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackeryFox

No idea if it was suggestion in the past but a new door and/or area function where you are able to lock a certain area to only allow specific colonists or colonists with assignments. I've encountered this often in the past where all of my colonists started using my walk-in freezer as a shortcut as I kept one entrance to the kitchen and one outside for the hunter to bring in meat. So for example a feature that would let us set the door to only be enterable by the the colonists with the Hunting and Cooking assigments.

reaper666

more animals and the ability to domesticate them using fences or pastures and being able to harvest fur,wool,milk,horns,bones and use them all to craft     

JCJamPot

Don't know if this is already mentioned, but with the new Quality of weapons, clothing etc. I am constantly having to use one of my colonists manually (drafted) to transport low quality and damaged goods to a burning pit. Could we make it so that, for example, when "Burning Apparel" you can set it so they burn apparel that is of a certain quality or lower. EG. Burn clothing with a rating of Poor or less, and any clothing under 50%. Once again, sorry if this has been mentioned already. <3 :P

MrWiggles

[spoiler]
Quote from: giannikampa on February 19, 2015, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: MrWiggles on February 18, 2015, 07:56:47 AM
Quote from: Proceeda on February 16, 2015, 11:06:57 PM
Don't know if you consider this cheap, but:
Basically, adding a hauler skill bar.

High level haulers can carry more haulable stuff such as weapons, armor, crops, etc. The more the character hauls the higher the skill goes. The logic behind that compared to real life is questionable though hehe.. Gaining experience from moving items around? I guess...

Anyways, I was also thinking of adding onto that idea with an ammo system, but this is probably way more than a cheap implementation.
Basically, higher level haulers can also carry more ammo clips with them at one time. For example, a level 12 hauler can carry 12 clips on them. I think this would make the game a little more realistic and add more of a challenge to the game. That would mean adding a new bill to the ammo crafting table to make clips for ammo, and making clips available to purchase from combat suppliers as well as one type of item that can be found in wrecks. Clips can be stored in ammo crates and can hold a large amount where characters will automatically reload on empty.

This would make it balanced when fighting sieges and attackers as they have limited ammo, however so do you.

By itself, it also makes Melee skill more important.. Say your characters run out of ammo?
Oh, and why not let experienced haulers carry more weapons at a time that they can switch out.

... definitely not cheap ... but it's an implementation that would enhance other vanilla features and create more enriching stories.
How in the world is hauling a skill? Its just menial labor. Your arms can only carry so much weight, and so much volume.

I get that its really dumb, that the pawns can't bundle what appears to us Humans as obviously low weight, low volume items or items with low weight that can be condensed.  But that can be a pretty PITA problem to solve. It requires probably going through each item in the game, and giving it more information, so that way it can be hauled differently.

And the only way to increase the hauling capability of a pawn, would be very similar how its done in real life. Tools. Wheel Barrows, pallets and pallet jacks.

I think it's reasonabe: the more experienced you are in hauling the more you can haul, and faster, maybe. It would reflect the strenght of the pawns. Of course difference between a level 1 and a level 20 should reflect reality so not more than twice/tree times the quantity and few percents drop in movement speed while carrying.
Probably not the cheap idea requested in this tread, but good, IMO.
[/spoiler]
How do you do spoilers?

The problem with that, is that 'strength' would have more benefits instead of just hauling. And a hauling skill wouldnt let you carry more then an arm full, regardless. The reason why they dont carry more then one item, is due to how its structure code wise, not mechanic wise.

Quote from: TrashMan on February 19, 2015, 03:22:43 AM
You are reffering to something like a volume/weight value to items? The lower the value, the more items a colonist can carry?
Or maybe something simpler. MAX STACK value which tells how many stacks of items X a colonist can carry.

Since colonists currently don't have a strength value, the mass of the items is irrelevant.
It would be two values. Max Carry and Max Storage Stack. Which isn't too dissimilar from a mass and volume stat. Though unlike just Max Carry stat, it couldnt account for heavy things weighing you down.

akiceabear

Ludeon Forums cheap idea: incorporate voting on individual posts. I use a few other forums and like this feature - especially when it allows sorting which recent posts are the most popular by vote, not just by views. They also reduce the clutter of posting "+1" when all I want to do is indicate I like the posters' views.

They also help institute a bit of community policing for especially incendiary posters (which thankfully don't seem to be a problem here, for now!), giving the are penalized either with default minimized posts or adding a cooldown/approval requirement for their next post.

This plugin is already developed for SMF: Good Post/Bad Post Mod.

Evelyn

That would just result in an incredible circle-jerk.

MMN

I wonder is it hard to make pirates set permanent base with turrets and bads and houses, so that you wood be forst to attack them  ;D

akiceabear

Quote from: Evelyn on February 22, 2015, 11:45:38 PM
That would just result in an incredible circle-jerk.

Maybe initially, although my experience on other boards is that this usually thins out to just quality posts. That could be because you are limited in the number of approvals and demerits (individual) you can give each day/week on the systems I've used, so you can't simply vote spam every post.

akiceabear

New functions in the "Overview" priorities screen.
* Clear all.

* Check all.

* Reset all checked to priority 4.

* Clicking on the label for a particular task sorts colonists by those with the highest ability in the related skill(s). (Perhaps this last one is not so cheap.)

Sartain

New traits for colonists!

Caring: Is especially sensitive to the feelings of others.
Gets a small buff for doing social work, gets a larger debuff for negative events like organ-harvesting, selling slaves and losing allies.

Uncaring: Not a true psychopath, but still doesn't really give a shit.
Gets a debuff from doing social work but doesn't get any debuffs for negative prisoner events.

RemingtonRyder

Darkness-tolerant plants. During the winter months there can be long periods without the 'Brightly lit' light level. As a result, plants which aren't tolerant of that die out completely on the map.

So then, how did they colonise that part of the map before the player arrived? It would probably be more immersive to have a hardier variety in place when the map generates.

Edit: I just thought of this now... plants photosynthesise when there's light to do so, but at night they convert stored sugars into energy using respiration. Perhaps a particularly hardy variety can store more of these sugars over a longer period, and more efficiently - that's their adaptation - and survive the dim conditions of winter.

Haplo

An idea I got while reading some posts around here:

A change of the raider/visitor/animal warning (maybe only for hard mode?):
-You don't get any warnings from the incidents itself anymore
-You need to place perimeter sensors
-You get the messages when a raider/visitor/animal comes within 20 cells of the sensor

Mithradates

Quote from: Haplo on February 23, 2015, 01:27:02 PM
An idea I got while reading some posts around here:

A change of the raider/visitor/animal warning (maybe only for hard mode?):
-You don't get any warnings from the incidents itself anymore
-You need to place perimeter sensors
-You get the messages when a raider/visitor/animal comes within 20 cells of the sensor

I like this. If/When we get fog of war, this should be included.
Romani arma in omnis habent, acerruma in eos, quibus victis spolia maxuma; audendo et fallundo et bella ex bellis serundo magni facti. Per hunc morem extinguent omnia aut occident.

Ninefinger

One thing i can think of that the game needs now is quality and durability filter for items in stock piles, so that i can have an area for clothing that only allows clothes to be superior or above and a durability above 80% for example, also we need to be able to craft guns and armor now that they degrade.   :D

MsMeiriona

Some more deco items that don't require crafting benches so we can keep the beauty up.

Maybe alter lamps to use the stuff system instead of just steel, so you can have a pretty gold lamp lighting your room, or a fireproof lamp, etc.