Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenWL

Outdoor designator. I noted that 'unroofed' counts as indoors and things you buy doesn't drop there, even when inside a trade beacon's influence.

When you dig into a mountain, but don't build a door, call it 'cave' not outdoors. My workers work cooped up in a tiny room inside a mountain all day long, but they never get cabin fever because they are 'outdoors'

Heat lover gets mood bonus in the heat. Cold lover gets mood bonus in cold.

You can fire at a enemy any distance from you. Of course, whether you hit is a different question altogether. Right now, if faced with a weapon of superior range, we need to run out and get closer. I think we should be able to shoot at it with pistols from twenty squares away like cowards if we want.

Chain link fence(found it in a mod, loved it) A cheap wall that provides absolutely no cover. Great for keeping people away from your sandbags without giving them things to hide behind, or generally keeping people in one place while still being able to shoot them as though they where in the open. Unable to support roof.

Mechanoids getting easier to incapacitate. They are war machines. They should not drop dead so easily.

Repairing tools, clothing, etc. So you can have that legendary parka forever.

Choose what you want to use on your colonists/prisoners, so I can feed my prisoners nutrient paste, and keep my fine meal for my colonists, and use herbal medicine on prisoners, but treat my guys with gitterworld medicine, and without a bunch of shenanigans with forbiding/ubforbidding items.

More things for my colonists to drink and be happy about.

Mechanoids have 'mood' and can break down too in certain conditions.
But instead of stuff like 'Hungry' or 'Saw dead body' They would get debuffs like 'In rain'(description: The rain is causing problems with the mechanoid's chips) 'In extreme heat' (description:The excessive heat is damaging the mechanoid's inner workings) 'In water'(description: The water is damaging the mechanoid) 'Damaged'(description: The mechanoid is damaged. It may malfunction), etc
And buffs like 'In cold area'(description: This area has a low temperature, and it is aiding the mechanoid's inner coolers) 'Clean area'(description: This place is clean and lacks little dust particles that can cause errors) and stuff like that.
A rainy, dust marsh during a heat wave would not be a good place for mechanoids.

Harvesting mechanoid brains and using them to treat brain damage.

Fixing broken bones and bad backs.

A extra equipment slot for things that boost colonists, such as hoes for farming, night vision goggles for better accuracy in dark places, frying pan for lower food poisoning chances, etc.

Paintings. Different kind of sculpture that uses cloth, and wood. Also different look.

You can assign a warden to a colonist to talk to them and keep them from going mad without locking them in prison.

Freed prisoners lose their restraints.

Make steam geysers only spawn in places where it is possible to put a geothermal generator on them.

Raiders attempt to avoid turrets. Sorta.

Fuses to protect against short-circuiting, and a way to protect against solar flares, such as coating devices with plasteel or something. Events that have possibly crippling effects yet cannot be prepared against sucks. It really does.

Telarin

Two very simple to implement ideas:

1) On the Work Overview tab, when mousing over something that has multiple relevant skills, show each relevant skill. For example, with hunting, instead of showing the average, which is not particularly useful, since the colonist can only be equipped for melee OR shooting, not both, so show us both skills separately when we mouse over.

2) On the Work Overview tab, allow the list to be sorted by colonist skill level when clicking a work type. In this case, for work types with multiple associated skills, sort by the average.

Monkfish

Pretty sure this would have already been requested, but I'm going to suggest it again just in case;

Different lock states on doors. Because REASONS.

Unlocked - Anyone can open the door; colonists, visitors or raiders.
Locked (Friendly) - Colonists and visitors can open the door. Raiders cannot and have to beat it down.
Locked (Colonist) - Only colonists can open the door. Visitors cannot pass and raiders have to beat it down.
Locked (Everyone) - No-one uses the door.

There are a few different scenarios in which these different lock states could be handy. A prison, for example, could have an unlocked door that leads to a walled, unroofed, compound so that prisoners can stretch their legs but remain in custody and not have any outdoor/cabin fever debuffs. Another door could be left unlocked such that raiders enter the base via a room that's... warm. :-X

Animals would also be incapable of operating a door owing to a distinct lack of opposable thumbs, hands, or a brain capable of figuring out doors. Though, having said that, if monkeys are in the game they could open unlocked doors and leave them open. Fun times!
<insert witty signature here>

AllenWL

A 'tool/apparel' stockpile that lets you choose quality/durability of stuff put in the stockpile, so we don't have to shift through hundreds of shoddy parkas you stripped off dead pirates to find that one masterwork parka to give your colonist.

Gaesatae

Add a warning for world deletion saying that removing the world will cause the colonies created in that world to be unplayable.

b0rsuk

Areas which are outdoors but roofed (thin rock roof etc) should be colder than outdoor areas with sky above.
Squares adjacent to a geyser should be warm even in winter.

I want to be able to:
- disable a Growing Zone without deleting it. Sometimes I have enough food for a while and don't need the harvest right now. But I may want pawns to finally get that Xerigium, so simply disabling Growing on Overview:Work screen won't work.
- shrink existing areas, including Growing Zones and stockpiles.

AllenWL

A negative thought for being unable to do things, or having efficiency at less than 100% 'Having trouble with (whatever it is they're bad at)' with a message like 'My injuries are making it tricky to do (insert action) It's a little annyoing'

Then a slightly bigger mood debuff for under 50% like 'Having major difficulties with (insert action)' with a message like 'I find it nearly impossible to properly (insert action). It's really making me feel useless'

Finally, a bigger debuff for being unable to do something entirely 'Unable to (insert action)' 'I'm completely unable to do (insert action) I feel like a invalid.'

TexarkanaKid

Not sure if it's cheap, however I was playing with another person watching and they asked if the soil would be enriched after a fire. I'm not sure how the soil system works, but my idea would be to have the fire create rich soil that would be depleted in a season, or a year, or perhaps even one crop.

PetWolverine

Smelling, an ability tied to the nose, affecting the likelihood of both making bad food (for cooks) and eating it (for everyone). When your master chef gets his nose bitten off by a squirrel, it will have some actual effect in the game. It could also change how strongly someone's mood is affected by "observed rotting corpse" and "ate fine meal".

Monkfish

Gear overview:

An additional tab showing the gear (and wear/quality) that colonists are wearing. Currently, one has to check each colonist in turn for a knackered clothing debuff and it's quite the tiresome task for large colonies and people with debuff/gear OCD. The overview could also feature a checkbox to set whether a warning appears on the right if a colonist is wearing knackered stuff.

Should be simple enough to do, all of the information is available, just needs some UI to display it.

EDIT: Also, I'm sure this has been suggested before, but wear shown on items when zoomed in as well as quality.

SSS

Make colonists prefer to mine while not under a roof, if possible.

Trying to remove thin rock roofs is dangerous without micromanagement, as it is now.

pollgg12

LOOK LOOK LOOK LOOK LOOK #KONY2012 LOOK LOOOKLOOK AT THIS RITE HERE!
A crafting bench or alter or what-ever that causes an event to happen
I.E using your coms to hail a trade ship but has a chance to bring raiders or something along those lines
Some people call it cannibalism i call it recycling

Monkfish

Quote from: Monkfish on March 25, 2015, 12:53:24 PM
Pretty sure this would have already been requested, but I'm going to suggest it again just in case;

Different lock states on doors. Because REASONS.

Unlocked - Anyone can open the door; colonists, visitors or raiders.
Locked (Friendly) - Colonists and visitors can open the door. Raiders cannot and have to beat it down.
Locked (Colonist) - Only colonists can open the door. Visitors cannot pass and raiders have to beat it down.
Locked (Everyone) - No-one uses the door.

There are a few different scenarios in which these different lock states could be handy. A prison, for example, could have an unlocked door that leads to a walled, unroofed, compound so that prisoners can stretch their legs but remain in custody and not have any outdoor/cabin fever debuffs. Another door could be left unlocked such that raiders enter the base via a room that's... warm. :-X

Animals would also be incapable of operating a door owing to a distinct lack of opposable thumbs, hands, or a brain capable of figuring out doors. Though, having said that, if monkeys are in the game they could open unlocked doors and leave them open. Fun times!
Addendum!

Whilst musing about how to solve the problem of restricting access to alcohol for high risk colonists, I thought of an addition to the above;

Locked (Restricted) - Would only let permitted colonists through.

Though that doesn't work when you consider the colonists carry a key that opens all doors, so perhaps the doors could be brought into the 51st century by using swipe cards or some other form of scanner rather than a key to open them for permitted persons.

Also, allowing raiders to take a dead colonist's key/card and use it to open doors would be fun. :-X

b0rsuk

Quote from: Monkfish on March 27, 2015, 04:43:14 PM
Also, allowing raiders to take a dead colonist's key/card and use it to open doors would be fun. :-X

Hey, that's actually a brilliant and scary idea !

Monkfish

Indeed. I can just imagine it now; Got a neat killbox set up, a large raiding party lands and catches me with my pants down, killing a random colonist who snuck out to collect something worthless. Raiders grab the key and let themselves in through the side door. A total shitstorm happens.