Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alistaire

Rather than locking the progression behind complex resources it would change the progression (which at the moment isn't final, obviously) and
because Copper isn't the only conductive metal out there it could form way more interesting stories where players had to resort to using Iron for
conduits because that was the only thing they could find on the crash site (from the ship) before being able to buy far superior conductive metals
to revamp the conduit system and use Iron in more fitting places.

Steel being the only metal is not a case of minimizing complexity to focus on storytelling when you at the same time have five different types of
rock to maximize complexity to focus on storytelling.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Tynan on August 13, 2015, 04:18:54 PM
Ronin I'm afraid this really isn't the thread for a huge game-changing suggestion like that. However, just to reply quickly:

The thing with the resources is, it doesn't add any new rewards or options to the game. Just more numbers, restrictions, and barriers. Have you ever heard of a player describing how awesome it was that they couldn't build something because they didn't have the resource for it? It doesn't happen.
Heroes of Might and Magic used to have 7 resources.
Three common ones: wood, ore, gold coins
four rare ones: sulphur, mercury, gems, and crystals
The new developer 'streamlined' things and replaced all rare resources with one: crystalized dragon blood.

People were not amused.

Tynan

Ronin - I actually thought about this a bit more; I like the idea of jade specifically as a different luxury building material. You might see it in Alpha 13. Things like diamond will have to wait because there's no gem or jewelry system in the game.

Regarding DF, you are correct Ronin that there are complex production chains in the game. However, it's important to note that they are largely optional. You *can* make weapons out of steel by building furnaces with coke and all sorts of other complexities - but if you need to you can just use iron or copper. It's a stats upgrade pathway to existing things you can build, not a blocker (like needing copper for conduits). In this it resembles plasteel in RW right now (which I may make manufacturable, so it fulfils an adamantium-like role).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

CatHerder

A few cheap suggestions to streamline the colonist tasks and make them easier to understand.  First I propose reordering the tasks on the overview menu in a fashion that makes it easier and more intuitive to view. 
First up would be unskilled non-dumb labor activities:
1) Firefighting
2) Flicking
3) Patient. 
Next up Dumb labor:
4) Clean
5) Haul
6) Plant cut. 
After that would come the other tasks in the order that their respective skills are listed on the character information screen
7)hunting (shooting/melee)
8 ) warden (social)
9) Doctor (medicine)
10) Cook (cooking)
11,12) construct, repair (construction)
13) Grow (Growing)
14) Mine (Mining)
15) Art (Artistic)
16,17,18) Craft, Tailor, Smith (Crafting)
19) Research (research)

It looks like they are arranged in a higher to lower priority fashion (such as a 1 in firefight would take precedent over a 1 in research)  If this is the case that could still exist in the AI, but it is not important for the user to know which activity takes priority over another since it is a component of the AI that streamlines gameplay behind the scenes.

Another simple suggestion regarding tasks is for things colonists are incapable of doing (scary, violent, dumb labor, etc.)  by mousing over that keyword, a pop up would show that kinds of tasks those include (e.g. mousing over dumb labor would tell you it means clean, haul, and plant cut) This would be just like the popup you get by mousing over a trait like nudist or abrasive.

I also think the tasks with out a relevant skill (the first 6) should be able to be manually prioritized (like when you right click on an action to have a colonist to do that activity), even if they aren't set to do that action on the overview menu.  This would mean you could have the closest colonist to a chunk that is in the way of building something haul it away even if they wont seek out to haul items on their own, etc.

Songleaves

So solar eclipses IRL produce really cool shadows in addition to having some strange effects on the lighting in general. I'm wondering if there's a simple way that the solar eclipse event could alter the outside shadows in an interesting way.

Tagasaki

I think this has been suggested before (gunsmithing):

Instead of having gunsmithing table of its own, was thinking about gunsmithing requires machining research and then be able to research gunsmithing with 2000 points, and it will only be able to craft pistols, shotguns and survival rifles with each only be able to craft it in TableMachining with each costs around 150+ steel and 100+ wood (or even higher since guns are high precision tool and therefore with higher requirements would balance out).

If this isn't cheap, then ignore this >_<

Modify raid events like for example:
- Pirate raids would prioritize item capture and/or slave capture (more towards slavering) other than just destroying facilities.
-- Pirates with these in mind would have a lot of personal shields with melee weapons.
- Hostile Tribe would prioritize item capture instead of pure massacre.
-- Some of them would have characteristic of fast walker.

not sure what would hostile outlanders do.

Mechanoids doesnt have any defensive path, they would just stand and take a hit, especially scythers (the centipede is a tank so no need to walk).

b0rsuk

* Colonist with Chemical Interest should carry a beer with him at all times, like everyone does with food rations.

* Colonist with Chemical Fascination should carry TWO beers with him.

Spectreofoz

A tick box to sell all of 1 item

b0rsuk

* When a drafted colonist arrives at the destination, he should say: "In positon." There should  be a similar message when a drafted colonist equips something.

Reason:
Drafted colonist require constant attention. But it's not fun watching them go across the map until they can snipe evil ship part or mortars. Having them report when they reach position would be much more tolerable.

Tagasaki

- Monsoon weather in tropical biome?

It's weird to see in any tropical biome there's 4 season.

Jorlem

Quote from: CatHerder on August 14, 2015, 01:03:37 PM

It looks like they are arranged in a higher to lower priority fashion (such as a 1 in firefight would take precedent over a 1 in research)  If this is the case that could still exist in the AI, but it is not important for the user to know which activity takes priority over another since it is a component of the AI that streamlines gameplay behind the scenes.

I disagree.  I think it is very useful to be able to easily see the order in which the AI prioritizes jobs, as it allows you to set priority weights in a meaningful way.  For instance, if a job like hauling isn't getting done often enough, right now I know that I just have to lower or remove priorities on jobs to the left of hauling.  With your suggestion, I wouldn't be able to easily see which jobs I need to adjust to get other jobs done.

Tagasaki

Quote from: Jorlem on August 17, 2015, 01:06:19 AM
Quote from: CatHerder on August 14, 2015, 01:03:37 PM

I disagree.  I think it is very useful to be able to easily see the order in which the AI prioritizes jobs, as it allows you to set priority weights in a meaningful way.  For instance, if a job like hauling isn't getting done often enough, right now I know that I just have to lower or remove priorities on jobs to the left of hauling.  With your suggestion, I wouldn't be able to easily see which jobs I need to adjust to get other jobs done.

use manual priorities but there's also a problem with it... if there's a lot of work have same priority then it will by default follow the original priority (left side highest priority than right side) for example haul and cleaning has priority number 1 but hauling will be done first.

meanwhile:
- space bounty hunter raid event? :3

Ovenmit

Toilets? Can use the same system as the power... Solar Panels => Toilets; Batteries => Septic Tank... along with all that goes hygiene... cant have your goons pooping on the floor can you

b0rsuk

* Toggle snow (display)
Tundra maps can have something like 2-3 months without snow. Examining it tile by tile to learn if it's worth putting a sunlamp in there is annoying. On ice sheet maps, sometimes clearing snow is pointless if because there's ice beneath, you'd need to build floor too.

* Minimum skill for blueprints
Some structures take very long to build, like generators, ship, or a chess table made of stone. Others can be built by anyone - campfire, power conduits. Ability to designate blueprints with minimum skill requirement would be useful. Especially if furniture has quality in the future.

kahlzun

Colonists who are on fire will be 'put out' quicker if they go into Shallow Water.
Possibly automatically path towards it if sufficiently nearby..
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.