Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necronomocoins

I can rename a colonist at any time but I can't even give a pet a name? Surely it's a cheap change to swap these things so I can't change a colonists name, but I can name a pet whatever I like. Hungry/manhunter animals (not alphabeavers) should eat whatever they can, not just humans.

StorymasterQ

Well, you can say to someone, "Hey, I'm gonna call you Dave from now on. When I say Dave, you come over, alright?" and they'll do it. You can't say to a dog, "I christen thee, Mutt!" and expect them to come over when you call it that. That said, it is a bit weird why Tynan decided that animals couldn't be named as colonists can.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

king komodo

Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 07, 2015, 08:42:06 PM
Well, you can say to someone, "Hey, I'm gonna call you Dave from now on. When I say Dave, you come over, alright?" and they'll do it. You can't say to a dog, "I christen thee, Mutt!" and expect them to come over when you call it that. That said, it is a bit weird why Tynan decided that animals couldn't be named as colonists can.

Well sort of. People do do that alot, especially when the other persons name is hard to pronounce, but people tend to have multiple names for pets as well. Also people will change animals names how they see fit, though out of courtesy we don't tend to change pets that are already named.

SerBeardian

How about a +20 moodlet for any pawn lying in a medical bed?

Call it "I'm recovering from illness" or "I'm getting better" or "I'll get through this".

This would hard counter the total joy deprivation from prolonged stays in the sickbay.

Make it persist for .25 days after getting out of bed to give them time to get some joy in them.

Necronomocoins

Quote from: king komodo on October 08, 2015, 03:30:17 PM

Well sort of. People do do that alot, especially when the other persons name is hard to pronounce, but people tend to have multiple names for pets as well. Also people will change animals names how they see fit, though out of courtesy we don't tend to change pets that are already named.
You can call me whatever you like, but I will only respond if you get my name right. My brother found an abandoned kitten, took it to the vets and named it "Kitten", he gave the kitten to my grandmother, who promptly re-named it "Sable", when my grandmother could no longer look after it, my mother took over caring for the cat and re-named it, "Princess", cats don't come when you call their name anyway.

blub01

Quote from: Necronomocoins on October 10, 2015, 08:36:32 PM
Quote from: king komodo on October 08, 2015, 03:30:17 PM

You can call me whatever you like, but I will only respond if you get my name right. My brother found an abandoned kitten, took it to the vets and named it "Kitten", he gave the kitten to my grandmother, who promptly re-named it "Sable", when my grandmother could no longer look after it, my mother took over caring for the cat and re-named it, "Princess", cats don't come when you call their name anyway.

Well, they at least react to it, and if they want to, they come. at least mine do. also, if enough people decide to call you dave from now on, at some point you're going to think you're dave. at least there's a saying about it. and an entire book you have to read in school in germany about the same thing with personality, it's called "Andorra".
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

willpill35

Quote from: turnip on October 09, 2013, 12:25:31 AM
Adding of turnips as a growable crop.

In all seriousness, adding some more happiness items (Coaches, televisions, bookshelves, weight benches etc), since the game could use some more objects to boost happiness and they should be fairly easy to put in seeing as the mechanic's already there.

I agree maby have some of them be able to help improve a characters skills wile having fun maby have some training dummys or target to shoot at or beat on.  Maby have books you buy for the book case that increase certain skills when read like handling or medical.

blub01

Quote from: willpill35 on October 11, 2015, 11:31:09 PM
Quote from: turnip on October 09, 2013, 12:25:31 AM
Adding of turnips as a growable crop.

In all seriousness, adding some more happiness items (Coaches, televisions, bookshelves, weight benches etc), since the game could use some more objects to boost happiness and they should be fairly easy to put in seeing as the mechanic's already there.

I agree maby have some of them be able to help improve a characters skills wile having fun maby have some training dummys or target to shoot at or beat on.  Maby have books you buy for the book case that increase certain skills when read like handling or medical.

that's not exactly cheap, but it should definitely be in the game.
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

keylocke

Quote from: SerBeardian on October 10, 2015, 04:12:28 AM
How about a +20 moodlet for any pawn lying in a medical bed?

Call it "I'm recovering from illness" or "I'm getting better" or "I'll get through this".

This would hard counter the total joy deprivation from prolonged stays in the sickbay.

Make it persist for .25 days after getting out of bed to give them time to get some joy in them.

it would be great if they added a radio, which plays music and gives joy for everyone within the room.

Jamini

A means to manually name/label/force-rename pets.

Right now, chickens that hatch in your colony will always be named "Chick #" until the day they die. This makes it really difficult to not accidentally butcher your chickens when THIS happens. http://imgur.com/OPwoav8

blub01

Quote from: Jamini on October 13, 2015, 09:08:40 AM
A means to manually name/label/force-rename pets.

Right now, chickens that hatch in your colony will always be named "Chick #" until the day they die. This makes it really difficult to not accidentally butcher your chickens when THIS happens. http://imgur.com/OPwoav8

for now, you can use development mode and force the "nuzzle animal" event(at least I think it is an event, just search for something about nuzzling an animal/pet).

asanbr

I would like to have more granularity for stockpiles with furniture. Most other things can be separated down to unique item types but not furniture. Why?

In my last game I built a stock of charged batteries and I also had some spare beds, but I wanted to keep them in separate places, batteries deep inside away from risk of fire, but beds easily accessible when needed.

I suppose I could micromanage it with some locked doors and stuff, but it would be a tedious workaround.

JimmyAgnt007

Id like to see hunting handled as a bill at the butchers table (accessible and constant across all of them) where you can select what animals to hunt.

Also, when people are hunting, have an exclusion radius around the hunter like the AI deals with avoiding turrets.  So if you are out hunting boars lets say, the first hunter goes for one, then the next hunter goes for something outside that radius.  So they stay away from each other.  Hopefully this keeps them from walking into each others field of fire. 

onearchitype

Favorite Foods; Hated Foods; Allergic Foods

Colonists get a mood boost for favorite foods, the opposite for hated foods; and a medical problem for allergic foods