Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asanbr

Make it possible to see the remaining time to spoil even for frozen food. It's impossible to prioritize when cooking between fresh and old frozen food and corpses.

Even better: enable an overlay which will display a spoil timer % for all stacks at the same time, then it would be faster than clicking each of them to check individually. 

Same thing for clothes quality would be useful. A hotkey or a button that shows this as an overlay.

Elmer

An idea for a melee combat buff:
Melee is still a little bit underpowered in my opinion, despite the recent buffs. So what about being able to disarm opponents? This could be done in three ways:
1. Having it so every successful hit has a chance to make the opponent drop their weapon, changing them to hand to hand combat. The % chance of a disarm could then be increased through the normal levelling of the melee skill (so no extra stat is needed, it simply uses the existing one as it increases naturally)
2. Somewhat like above, have it so at a high enough melee skill level the person then simply has a flat rate % chance of a disarm upon a successful hit, rather than an increasing % starting at near 0
3. Alternatively (although slightly more coding intensive, or if you don't want the increasing/static % chance), having something like a 'Master of melee' personality trait could be added. This will make those capable of disarming less common, but have a higher % chance of a disarm than the version above.

This small change or tweak, in my opinion, would make melee a little more justifiable. It would allow melee colonists to have a higher chance of surviving a fight, being able to kill the target more effectively (with luck), and maybe gaining a weapon in the process. And of course though this could be the same for enemies as well.

P.S -  Some cool stories could also be made out of these scenes of disarms for items inscribed with art

Regret

Another possibility for improving melee would be adding some kind of armor bonuses to melee weapons, you can block swords with swords, right?
That allows for further differentiation between different melee weapons:
Example: Sword and spear are good at blocking, mace/club not so much, dagger/shiv not at all.
furthermore you can put in a rock/paper/scissors-like mechanic in melee weapons:
sword beats mace, mace beats dagger, dagger beats sword
Spear beats everything as long as the pawn is not being attacked by a melee enemy
Everything beats spear in one on one combat

Montesat

I don't know if this was mention before, maybe several times, but here is my simple suggestion:
Windows on walls so that natural light could shine in.
I feel I'm not the first one and will not be the last one to say that.

asanbr

Quote from: Elmer on January 07, 2016, 07:18:48 PM
An idea for a melee combat buff:
Melee is still a little bit underpowered in my opinion, despite the recent buffs. So what about being able to disarm opponents? This could be done in three ways:

I generally avoid sending melee fighters against melee fighters, since they often get badly hurt, but against shooters it is super good since it prevents them from firing and forces them to fist fight against your armed melee people.

Try giving quality gladius or long sword to your fighters too and you might find them more useful. I haven't read all the stats but my impression is these weapons hurt a lot more than most.

Limdood

i don't understand wanting a disarm mechanic at all.

melee vs. melee, is a crapshoot...

melee vs. melee group, whoever has more bodies will win...possibility exists where a well armed single opponent could cause some damage, but will generally still lose.

melee vs. ranged.  melee wins hands down, unless disabled on approach (use dem corners!)

melee group vs. ranged.  This is the ideal use of melee...a "melee team" that waits around corners and ambushes single or small groups of ranged combatants en masse.  You can generally even afford to charge a single ranged person and take a few shots from other ranged people shooting you, so long as its not a sniper, or not on an unshielded fighter.

I don't see how adding a disarm mechanic would change the outcomes here at all?  melee vs. melee would still be a crapshoot, groups would still be stronger, and melee would still overwhelm ranged.

Alistaire

Please open up Pawn_FilthTracker and Filth:

Give access to List<Filth> Pawn_FilthTracker.carriedFilth through a get method, make Filth.CanFilthAttachNow, Filth.CanBeThickened,
Filth.ThickenFilth, Filth.ThinFilth and Filth.CanDropAt virtual.

Every Thing's "pos" is saved since default(IntVec3) is somehow not equal to (-1000,-1000,-1000), since that is IntVec3.Invalid. Replace
the following code:

Scribe_Values.LookValue<IntVec3>(ref this.positionInt, "pos", default(IntVec3), false);

to

Scribe_Values.LookValue<IntVec3>(ref this.positionInt, "pos", IntVec3.Invalid, false);

Anything that is worn, stored or otherwise has no position value has this value saved, introducing one line of text for every one of those that
exist in the game environment (I managed to replace 65 occurences of <pos>(-1000,-1000,-1000)</pos> from a new colony's initial save).

Alistaire

I'll leave this here. A pawn's ability to breathe is of zero influence to ANYTHING. As long as breathing efficiency is not exactly zero it actually does not at all impact anything, otherwise the pawn dies.

• Move speed is independent on the functioning of a pawn's respiratory system
  • Someone's mood is not at all effected by their ability to breathe air
  • The mind of a suffocating pawn is as resistant to psychic attacks as the mind of a breathing pawn
  • In fact someone's ability to breathe air does not influence their ability to learn
  • The amount of things one is able to carry does not lower for pawns with malfunctioning lungs
  • Animals are not bothered by their tamer's coughing and wheezing at 0.0001% efficient breathing capabilities
  • A shooter's accuracy does not get harmed with a decrease in air intake - This one does actually make sense to me since it would negate sway
  • Doctors don't have to breathe to perform operations
  • Researchers can hold their breathe during the course of their research without it effecting the efficiency
  • Oxygen deficient blood does not influence the amount of potatoes a farmer can scavenge from a potato plant
  • Etc., etc., etc.

Alistaire

The only Things (not Buildings) with a faction associated with them are the beginner's resources and weapons dropped on the ground on
game start. Worn apparel doesn't have it either. It looks like the method calls were designed to eventually have a faction added to the
Things but somebody quit working on the methods before adding factions.

Verse.PawnGenerator.GeneratePawn(PawnKindDef kindDef, Faction faction, bool newborn = false, int tries = 0)

pawn.SetFactionDirect(faction);

PawnWeaponGenerator.TryGenerateWeaponFor(pawn);

RimWorld.PawnWeaponGenerator.TryGenerateWeaponFor(Pawn pawn)

ThingWithComps thingWithComps = (ThingWithComps)ThingMaker.MakeThing(thingStuffPair.thing, thingStuffPair.stuff);
PawnGenerator.PostProcessGeneratedGear(thingWithComps, pawn);

Verse.PawnGenerator.PostProcessGeneratedGear(Thing gear, Pawn pawn)
-

None of them set faction while:

RimWorld.Genstep_Colonists.Generate()
List<Thing> list3 = new List<Thing>
{
ThingMaker.MakeThing(ThingDefOf.Gun_SurvivalRifle, null),
ThingMaker.MakeThing(ThingDefOf.Gun_Pistol, null),
ThingMaker.MakeThing(ThingDefOf.MeleeWeapon_Knife, ThingDefOf.Plasteel),
Genstep_Colonists.RandomPet()
};
foreach (Thing current3 in list3)
{
current3.SetFactionDirect(Faction.OfColony);
list[num].Add(current3);
num++;
if (num >= list.Count)
{
num = 0;
}
}

So please set the faction of a weapon during its creation or maybe don't set the faction for starter weaponry?

Reviire

More options in combat, even if simple ones. Death whistle to strike fear into enemies, lowering their mood and accuracy. Delayed effect on your own colonists.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Xom

Headbands, goggles and other headwear that doesn't obscure the wearer's hair.

The ability for colonists to carry more than one stack at a time.

The ability for a colonist, especially surgeons, to call idlers for assistance - hauling things to them, cleaning the work area, etc.

Regret

Quote from: Alistaire on January 11, 2016, 02:04:23 PM
I'll leave this here. A pawn's ability to breathe is of zero influence to ANYTHING. As long as breathing efficiency is not exactly zero it actually does not at all impact anything, otherwise the pawn dies.

• Move speed is independent on the functioning of a pawn's respiratory system
  • Someone's mood is not at all effected by their ability to breathe air
  • The mind of a suffocating pawn is as resistant to psychic attacks as the mind of a breathing pawn
  • In fact someone's ability to breathe air does not influence their ability to learn
  • The amount of things one is able to carry does not lower for pawns with malfunctioning lungs
  • Animals are not bothered by their tamer's coughing and wheezing at 0.0001% efficient breathing capabilities
  • A shooter's accuracy does not get harmed with a decrease in air intake - This one does actually make sense to me since it would negate sway
  • Doctors don't have to breathe to perform operations
  • Researchers can hold their breathe during the course of their research without it effecting the efficiency
  • Oxygen deficient blood does not influence the amount of potatoes a farmer can scavenge from a potato plant
  • Etc., etc., etc.
This is a cheapest ideas thread, so this sounds like you want pawn breathing not to effect anything? But isn't that already what is happening?

Regret

Quote from: Limdood on January 08, 2016, 06:07:42 PM
i don't understand wanting a disarm mechanic at all.

melee vs. melee, is a crapshoot...

melee vs. melee group, whoever has more bodies will win...possibility exists where a well armed single opponent could cause some damage, but will generally still lose.

melee vs. ranged.  melee wins hands down, unless disabled on approach (use dem corners!)

melee group vs. ranged.  This is the ideal use of melee...a "melee team" that waits around corners and ambushes single or small groups of ranged combatants en masse.  You can generally even afford to charge a single ranged person and take a few shots from other ranged people shooting you, so long as its not a sniper, or not on an unshielded fighter.

I don't see how adding a disarm mechanic would change the outcomes here at all?  melee vs. melee would still be a crapshoot, groups would still be stronger, and melee would still overwhelm ranged.
Fair point.

Alistaire

Quote from: Regret on January 13, 2016, 03:07:53 PM

• Etc., etc., etc.
But isn't that already what is happening?

Breathing influences NOTHING at the moment. I'm suggesting it should do ANYTHING AT ALL.

Regret

Quote from: Alistaire on January 13, 2016, 03:32:16 PM
Quote from: Regret on January 13, 2016, 03:07:53 PM

• Etc., etc., etc.
But isn't that already what is happening?

Breathing influences NOTHING at the moment. I'm suggesting it should do ANYTHING AT ALL.
Ah gotcha, I didn't catch that.