Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Thunder1 on February 04, 2014, 02:33:26 AM
Quote from: ApexPredator on February 03, 2014, 05:44:46 PMI usually just right click on the equipment rack with the person already selected and click "store pistol in equipment rack". It would be nice in the future to reduce micro managing if weapons could have assignments like beds or some way that they would know to suit up for battle without me having to click every person and choose what gun to pick up individually.

Colonists are fine holding weapons constantly..where is this lie coming from.

I just have my colonists carry their weapons at all times. I don't know who started the rumor that colonists don't like carrying weapons, but I see no evidence to support it. Anyone can write in a wiki.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

OobleckTheGreen

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on February 12, 2014, 06:23:47 AM
I assume this is cheap, but maybe it isn't. In any case, I suggest getting rid of the Home Zone option and adding Firefighting Zone and Cleaning Zone options in its place.

I suggest this because the Home Zone is sub-optimal: areas containing long sections of power conduit are vulnerable to fire, but aren't always places that need to be cleaned. It would be nice to have my colonists set up to fight fires along these vulnerable areas without also wasting the time of colonists on cleaning duty.

I agree with this. I often end up creating an outer "castle wall" that separates my home from the rest of the world and gives the raiders a specific path to take. However, I often find that firefighting along that wall can be as dangerous as the raiders, since there's so much material that can burn out there. What I usually end up doing is using a LOT of metal to create a 2-block concrete firewall outside the perimeter wall, and then setting that to "Home" (along with the wall itself). Unfortunately, this also sends my colonists out on cleaning missions, usually right about the time that raiders are in the area. Being able to separate have separate cleaning and firefighting zones would be a +++

TrashMan

As raiders come, you stockpile gun and they tend to take far too much space. A weapon rack the size of the bed can only hold 2 handguns???

Change to weapon racks - they hold up to 4-6 weapons of a single type.
A single rack only stores one type of weapon. Maybe it's just 1x1 size too.

Nasikabatrachus

Some kind of "alert status" system to keep colonists awake without having to draft them all would be nice. Perhaps the "rally flag" suggested by DeMatt could include this functionality.

Ender

Quote from: TrashMan on February 13, 2014, 06:41:22 AM
As raiders come, you stockpile gun and they tend to take far too much space. A weapon rack the size of the bed can only hold 2 handguns???

Change to weapon racks - they hold up to 4-6 weapons of a single type.
A single rack only stores one type of weapon. Maybe it's just 1x1 size too.

I really do like this idea, and it may not be all to hard to implement seeing as values for things like food stacked are implemented so, maybe that sort of value system can be reused for weapons?
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

woolfoma

The Ability to smoothen out stone walls like you do stone flooring would be nice, plus being able to embed power conduits into stone walls would be nice as well (can't you tell I like living in the mountains :P )
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

Xarfo

Hi guys,
i have actually a problem while playing Rimworld with Slag debris and Rock debris.
Yes of course i mark Dumping Stockpiles... but later in the game u have the half map full of it!? (I also tried to shot on it or to blow it up!) ;)

So i like to suggest a recycling machine to do something with this Slag/Rock debris because after maybe 1000 days
u haven�t the place to mark more Dumping Stockpiles...

I think nice is when u get some recycled material only for trading
Because u will need an option to clean the map of Slag and Rock debris for "Endless Games"...

Also maybe a nother carakter skill: named "Recycling"? for this Job
A new thing to research to allow recycling machines.

Than for economical feeling a simple time switch clock to switch on/off different lights at day/night.
Maybe a simple building to research and 1x1 size and u can conect it to the lamps u want, like the power for example.
then u need to build time switch clocks for all groups of lamps u want switch on/off different times.
With two simple settings like:    Power on at 0-12 am/pm
                                           Power off at 0-12 am/pm
Because who let the whole day burn his lights in front of the house?
And i talk about many houses ;)

Both of them summarized can form a 1st and 2nd grade of research: named "Economical"

And it looks like a maximum for 15 or 16 colonists? At least i don�t get more.
Please lift up this number or who will clean/repair everything you build on the whole map?

Rimarx

The Ability to list your colonists after their skills in a nice order.
I always want to equip the best shooter with the higher tier weapon,but with 20 or more colonists this is kinda hard.

Hieronymous Alloy

Track lighting.

Build it like carpet, adds illumination and pleasure, leaves tiles walkable.
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

IncognitoMode

Autosave on/off function (if this exists already then I cannot find it)

Thumbnail of map on the dimensions pop up (like on C+C games) <<< might not be cheap enough but not worth new topic.

Snownova

More decorative objects. Since colonists are only truly happy in rooms of 36+ tiles apparently, dressing these rooms up is a challenge. (leaving them empty with just a bed, lamp and two or so flowers is boring). Currently I'm filling them with a small table, a chair, gun rack and several flowers, but more variety and dedicated decorative objects would be nice. codewise most could be flowers without grower maintenance requirement, but with added repair and degradation.

- Bookcase (no function other than environment bonus)
- Several types of flower pot, ferns for example.
- Desk with PC or writing utensils. (behavior for using them can be added later, initally just environment bonus is sufficient)

- More colors of carpet, ideally a color wheel and ability to save favorite colors, but that wouldn't be as "cheap".
- Outdoors plants. Ability to plant decorative trees, grass lawns, flower beds. Make the outside of your colony pretty so that colonists get a mood bonus there too.

TrashMan

1x1 tables. Would come in handy.

A personal locker where colonists could store some items.
Also random items that may increase colonists happiness - things like mementos, clothing and similar. But these would be on an individual basis (specific colonists like specific things).

ADOMFan

How about armor?  Armor could be simple at first (e.g. a bullet-proof vest).  Maybe a helmet, or boots, etc.

arctan

Or perhaps even tables of custom shapes.

Autophluorescent plants and minerals. And possibly the ability to mine and place the mineral, to create powerless outdoor dim night lights.

Ceiling mounted lights.

Perhaps blasting charges become frag grenades on tripwires? Triggered by all fauna and raiders and travelers, but not colonists who know where they are. Tripwires would allow for awesome traps. Detonate some columns and create a huge stone fall trap. Note, not proximity mines. Built separately, anything crossing a tripwire would arm all grenades connected to it.

Ability to make turrets hostile to colonists, wildlife, and raiders. Seperately, and toggleable. Hostile to colonists would apply more when scientists come with raider parties :P.

Ability to set food dispensers to colonist only or prisoner only. Same for tables.

Prisoners as slaves. Perhaps based on warden skill a pawn can bring a few prisoners with him for tasks like mining and growing and firefighting. Makes them terribly unhappy, and much less likely to join, and perhaps even take a shot at escape. They'd work slower, maybe half speed to whatever their skill level should be, but anything past the first couple skill levels of warden would get more than two slaves to offset this. Perhaps you can toggle whether or not they get whipped, increasing work speed but reducing health.

Pirx Danford

Hey this might be a nice change:
store the last location a soldier was assigned to and when one performs draft the soldier will automatically move there.

Or maybe keep drafting as it is and make a second mode (copy of drafting) called "Guard mode" and do the location storing with this mode,
this way one could assign "guard posts" separately from the normal direct fighting controls.