Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noobshock

Quote from: asanbr on April 02, 2016, 01:20:14 PM
Meat types in stockpile options should be sorted alphabetically

And everything else.

Omg this please. Sooo obnoxious looking through some of those lists of meat or leather where it's just a random pile of names.

kesulin

Quote from: GuesUserNameGUN on April 04, 2016, 08:23:29 AM
Quote from: kesulin on March 31, 2016, 06:05:16 AM
I posted few days ago in independent post, but i think the idea can fit here:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17928.0

I propose a shoot interrupt aim: if someone is aiming and is shot up he must be start aim again.

-This little change make combats more tactical, change importance of diferents weapons and make melee combat a really alternative.
-Long range weapons like snipers take a long time to aim, they must be far from combat if don't want interrupt every time.
-Melee colonist can move safely with help of other colonists, with friendly covering fire.

Maybe tynan must change some weapons stats or update ai for this, but I think it's a little change for a big improve on the game.

PD: sorry for my English
Thats already a thing in rimworld.
I think only exist when a colonist is hit in melee combat. I propose use the same code when a colonist is shot up (not necessary a hit).

Limdood

Quote from: GuesUserNameGUN on April 04, 2016, 08:32:53 AM
With the new prison break features coming in alpha 13, we need more options for stunning people than killing.
- Stun Sentry - does the same as a normal sentry, but with less damage and higher ability to knock someone out. does nothing to Armor also so less effective for raids.
- Tribal armor - wooden armor or cloth armor for tribal raids. would be useful if stun sentry is added
- Stun guns/stun Batons - Does extra damage to shields and people without armor
- Prison clothes - regulate what the prisoners wear. as in, strip their armor off

Not saying you're one of these, but i notice that a lot of the people advocating "stun" options or incapacitation as a choice tend to defend their base with teams of snipers and/or minigunners.  You're aware its relatively easy to capture someone using weapons like a PDW or pistol right?  Or with melee weapons like shiv or club?

Dealing damage causes pain, which can cause incapacitation.  dealing too much damage to a part destroys that part, and torso is most commonly hit.  2 sniper shots to the torso will kill someone, but will rarely cause enough pain to incapacitate them.  Conversely, 8 PDW shots to the torso, and 2 to each arm and leg, is most certainly enough to incapacitate someone by pain, and won't kill or remove any limbs most likely.

I really DON'T want to see go-to nonlethal methods for dealing with raids.  If we can reliably incap a bunch of raiders with a flashbang grenade or other such thing, then the game gets too easy/cheesy...incapacitation either is or it isn't...there's no "damage" or limb removal or half measures, you either got incappd or you didn't, so it would be hella hard to balance

mumblemumble

Give toxic fallout an increased corpse deterioration rate on outdoor bodies,  or bodies expired from it.  Acting both to accentuate the fact that toxins / acids in the air are harmful,  AND to help address skeletons all over from toxic fallout.

Cause of death on corpses. The code is there since colonists have announcements for it,  but putting it on a corpse would be cool,  just so we could know / understand better.

As for non lethal means,  I'm not against them if balanced,  like a long cooldown tazer gun,  or stun baton which only causes pain for a very brief period. (meaning they might gain control before you are ready,  without needing any medical attention)

Just balance it so its much less reliable to defend with than a firearm / blade,  but an option when you really,  really don't want someone hurt.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Limdood

i like toxic fallout deteriorating corpses faster.  I don't think you'd even need to track what killed a pawn/animal even...just have toxic fallout cause deterioration on bodies in addition to normally deteriorating items (wood, food, cloth, etc.) at a rate high enough to "delete" objects in a few days, but you'd have to just be careful that it doesn't deteriorate things not meant to deteriorate (like rock/slag chunks and possibly, though it could still deteriorate if the dev wanted it, steel/plasteel/silver).

I still think nonlethal incapacitation is still terribly overpowered.  Consider that stun baton.  If i have a brawler with a personal shield run out a door, up to a lone unit, whack him with it, then pick him up to the prison, then that stun baton is suddenly VASTLY more powerful than even a legendary plasteel longsword...its a 1-hit kill item with an even better result than "kill."  An additional issue, though not the main one, is that even with incapp'd pawns being able to "wake up" is that it won't even matter if they do.  unless the stun baton is a consumable item, it would be unlikely to not recharge before a reasonable wakeup time is reached...so you'd add the coding in for how a carried pawn could wake up and attack, and would get whacked again anyways...he'd also be disarmed, as incapacitation drops weapons.

While i was typing this, i did think of one possible way for incapacitation to be weaponized...what would think of a sedative-style weapon that deals "consciousness" damage...say, take your stun pistol and have it reduce consciousness by something like 8%.  I don't THINK it'd be that hard to code...once they get down to 10%, they get the already existing "anesthetized" health effect and become incapacitated. 

It's reliable, which you want...its slow, which prevents it from being a viable "use on everyone" strategy, and it wouldn't be 1HK.  It would theoretically require a minimum of coding, and would have the added benefit of not completely sucking, since as target consciousness goes down, they get worse at everything, including walking, so catching "that raider" that you really want should be doable.  Lastly, if Tynan were to implement it, he could make it have a possible drawback (a common theme of rimworld seems to be that most actions have a chance of catastrophic failure) of a tiny chance of permanent brain damage...similar to a much much weaker version of the psychic shock lance (which btw, TECHNICALLY currently fits the category of a nonlethal incapacitation weapon that already exists...and before you argue, i already know its not terribly viable as such).

Summary - anesthesia based weapons that gradually reduce consciousness, resulting in incapacitation by anesthesia at low consciousness level.  Slow, steady, reliable, "easy" only with focused fire on individual pawns, but possible even with one of the weapon.  Possible catastrophic effect if Tynan wants to of something like a 1-10% chance (per shot or overall, depending on which %) of permanent brain damage.

GuesUserNameGUN

Quote from: Limdood on April 04, 2016, 10:27:21 AM
Quote from: GuesUserNameGUN on April 04, 2016, 08:32:53 AM
With the new prison break features coming in alpha 13, we need more options for stunning people than killing.
- Stun Sentry - does the same as a normal sentry, but with less damage and higher ability to knock someone out. does nothing to Armor also so less effective for raids.
- Tribal armor - wooden armor or cloth armor for tribal raids. would be useful if stun sentry is added
- Stun guns/stun Batons - Does extra damage to shields and people without armor
- Prison clothes - regulate what the prisoners wear. as in, strip their armor off

Not saying you're one of these, but i notice that a lot of the people advocating "stun" options or incapacitation as a choice tend to defend their base with teams of snipers and/or minigunners.  You're aware its relatively easy to capture someone using weapons like a PDW or pistol right?  Or with melee weapons like shiv or club?

Dealing damage causes pain, which can cause incapacitation.  dealing too much damage to a part destroys that part, and torso is most commonly hit.  2 sniper shots to the torso will kill someone, but will rarely cause enough pain to incapacitate them.  Conversely, 8 PDW shots to the torso, and 2 to each arm and leg, is most certainly enough to incapacitate someone by pain, and won't kill or remove any limbs most likely.

I really DON'T want to see go-to nonlethal methods for dealing with raids.  If we can reliably incap a bunch of raiders with a flashbang grenade or other such thing, then the game gets too easy/cheesy...incapacitation either is or it isn't...there's no "damage" or limb removal or half measures, you either got incappd or you didn't, so it would be hella hard to balance
this is why i suggested it do no damage to armor. again, i want it to do litte to no damage to raiders, and mainly use it for prisoners. to make it not that op when they try and escape, it should take up alot of power and mabye use some silver or plasteel to make.

mumblemumble

Actually a tranquilizer would work great, if its potency (or rather,  speed of the dose being metabolized)  was tied to where you hit like in metal gear solid. Arm or leg hits would take several minutes possibly to take full effect,  while neck or headshots (or extremely vital organs)  caused incapacitation in seconds.

Could also have an Overdose mechanic just to keep it balanced,  so a firing squad of tranquilizer pistols / rifles would overdose the target instead of just tranquilizing them, killing them,  making it pointless.

I think priorities for grow zones,  and owners for work benches would be very useful. Have a butcher table specially reserved for the token psychopath / cannibal.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

GuesUserNameGUN

Also, the ability to forbid animals from eating certain items. im so tired of my wargs (who i use for hauling) eating the fertilized eggs after i haul them. i have plenty of human meat, boar meat, deer meat, muffalo meat for them to eat. over 3k too. but they prefer my eggs.

AllenWL

Possibly due to high nutrition?
Though, you can just put your fertilized eggs in a separate area forbidden to any meat-eaters can't you? I mean, it's not like the eggs need to be refrigerated or anything.

GuesUserNameGUN

Quote from: AllenWL on April 05, 2016, 03:28:28 AM
Possibly due to high nutrition?
Though, you can just put your fertilized eggs in a separate area forbidden to any meat-eaters can't you? I mean, it's not like the eggs need to be refrigerated or anything.
they are in a seperate area. but there is no way to forbid an area for meat eaters. and even if there was, i use my wargs for hauling. so they need access to it anyway. i just want to forbid it from eating tho

mumblemumble

Uhm,  can't you assign wargs an inverted area banning the hen house?

-----

SpookyMunky

It'd be nice for a right click rescue command to not be overrided by an animal hehe.. I couldn't care less if one of the animals is gallantly trying to rescue  someone... since dirt adds to risk of infection no animals are allowed in my hospitals.

I have honestly shot a few animals to death just to stop them "rescuing" someone that would clearly benefit from a medical bed due to two missing legs and arm, shattered / shredded everything etc on account of them being the happy recipient of a grenade.. and a 3 legged boar/dog thinks a rickety old wooden bed in middle of nowhere is a good idea hehe.

I think just as a rule, animals shouldn't be allowed to apply the "reserved" attribute since we have no control over them. Or at the very least the 20 colonists standing around the multiple amputee in serious medical condition should have the gumption to pick up a fallen comrade and carry to hospital before a dog after you release them from duties ! :)

It happens with essential items too, like say you need 5 granite blocks to try and hole up a breach in your defenses, and by some miracle you have 5 granite blocks left, the only stone you have nearby hehe.. Sorry, this is reserved by Mortimer the labrador, your beloved pet of the colony since day one......

Iv honestly had to shoot the colony pet over 5 bricks, lol. When you have say 30 mechs taht somehow poked a hole through a random wall by some lucky shot hehe, life or death.. the labrador had to die :P

So yeah, please introduce something that doesn't force me into being the cruel bastard I am :P. I know you can just smack them and they drop things heh.. most of my guys either have plasteel gladius / sniper rifles tho.. trained killers :)

... they just don't seem to understand the command of kick the damn dog hehe, is always "sorry boss, tried to stop him, cut his head off.. "  or "sorry dude, I thought I had a clear shot but put a bullet through Val's head.. don't worry though, I got Mortimer right between the eyes 2nd round !".. sigh ! :)

GuesUserNameGUN

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 05, 2016, 03:48:32 AM
Uhm,  can't you assign wargs an inverted area banning the hen house?
ban that area but not the entire map? i could do that, but i use them for hauling, as they often haul the eggs. currently what i do is i forbid the pile, so after they get hauled to a pile they are forbidden, though its quite annoying to do that every time a new pile starts.

mumblemumble

Just ban the hens / egg storage,  have them haul anything else .  Pretty easy.

-----

Tumuel

Some sort of simple armor that can be crafted in the smithy like medieval plate/chain mail. Just a simple cuirass will do.