Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyos

Here is my half-penny idea.

Make "bad back" hediff the spine instead of the torso. Please.

blub01

Quote from: king komodo on May 06, 2016, 08:56:50 PM
Quote from: jtnoel on May 05, 2016, 06:13:06 PM
Mounted animals that don't break the game?

Tie usefulness of riding an animal would be tied to Handling skill. Pawn mounts an animal... they move at the animals max speed*(H. Skill/20). Pawns with low Handling (ie don't know what they are doing) would actually move slower if they mount an animal. Shooting would be worse when mounted by the same factor Normal % to hit*(H. Skill/20). So shooting a gun off a horses back is a bad idea if you don't know what you are doing so you need high shooting AND handling to be able to hit anything. Melee would not have as bad a penalty and you add the animals melee attacks. Both would have a penalty dependent on handling skill. Mounted animals would only be useful for moving fast, melee/shooting, and hauling. They dismount when they start other tasks. A mounted pawn should be able to haul more per trip as an advantage to riding (maybe 150 units/load).  Only animals above a certain size/intelligence can be trained up in riding (like they are for hauling) and maybe you need 10-12 trainings to make it an investment in the animal. Wildness slows down the speed of training so you aren't riding a rhino after a few days.

The possibilities are quite fun I think... beasts of burden, flash raids of tribal horsemen (Mongols on Rimworld!) - better get away fast!, a way to help that pawn with 2 peg legs become useful again w/o bionic legs, breeding herds for riding animals, Viking bear riders.

YES!!! Especially with the viking bear raiders. Much better than the moose or elk riding ones.

also add a "charging" modifier that increases damage based on movement speed - riding a horse at a full run means even holding your weapon so that it hits the enemy, it deals a lot of damage. this could be a feature for non-mounted colonists as well, which would sprint up to their enemy to deal additional damage.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

milon

I don't think this has been suggested here, but it would be great to be able to put pets in the space ship so you don't abandon them at the end of the game.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=19972.0

bpcookson

Quote from: soulkata on April 09, 2016, 06:17:34 PM
A cheap idea is to put store the permadeath mode on a global option, then the new game screen pick a default value.... (Because I always forget to set the value to true!)

Yes, this! I am currently hunting the forums for a way to turn permadeath on after starting the game.  >_<
Having it set to always be on would be great, but otherwise just pull it out of the advanced options so I don't forget about it.

mumblemumble

Raspberry pie,  a food made from raspberries, and some kind of grain,  using much more labor than meals,  more ingredients, on average,  but providing a very filling,  joy giving food for people which can be made in the colony.

Would require wheat maybe as well,  but still seems reasonably cheap all things considered.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

firescythe

What about creating "Armory" furnitures? A place to store armors, and appareal to not get worn. When a colonist get drafted, it priorizes to fetch Drafted state equipment.

On Gear page it would be possible to create option to store that item in Armory for the time to come.

MAKAIROSI

It could be random, or selectable, but also pre-created by the game with a bit of lore.

What was the ship's mission before it crashed determining your team.

A scientific purposed mission: top farmer, top researcher, low builder/miner (these three also have medium doctor status)and a low guard/hunter

A prisoner transfer: top guard/hunter, medium builder/miner, medium farmer/butcher and one prisoner

A military ship: top guard/hunter, top builder/miner, low farmer/butcher, low researcher

These are just examples. Obviously these would also have secondary skills that i can't get into at the moment but if it's a good suggestion then i can expand ( however i am leaving today for a job far away and i don't know if i'll have any time in the next 6 months). An example would be that in the military ship scenario you get an officer (no need to add this as a trait, just as lore) who is a good hunter/builder/farmer (survival skills) and a medium(or low) doctor (first aid skills). However the rest of the team's skills would suffer.

Also, you could get an interesting intro scenario of what the mission was all about and the names of the people. This way you get attached to your team before you even begin to play. You could even design the entire crew and then get a random four people (one in each perspective field) that survived from that particular crew - although that's a bit of a longshot.

Other missions could be

Construction ship, Trade ship, Exploration ship, or digging deeper a research ship whose mission was to research and explore a Transcendent world. Space pirates, tribals that were slaves in a slaveship and ended up surviving the crash, anything goes.

Some other aspects would be to add where do these come from to determine certain perks (like starting resources or researches), so for example if it comes from a glitterworld then they should start with some perks of that world.

However one of these scenarios should be the scenario as it is now. The default one. Maybe a "cruise ship" which was supposed to be for vacations, so you get random people.

The good thing about these scenarios is that you will be able to provide a predetermined experience to the player, while leaving the choice to him. Also, there is nothing that needs to be added apart from text and creating characters according to each scenario. Obviously there would be some need for balancing (maybe one mission is too hard, another is too easy), however nothing new is being added code-wise.

This could later on affect the ending, each scenario could have its own, maybe the military group has to bring its mission to completion, maybe the war is over until that point.

Also, some scenarios could be unlockable by certain events. So for example, as one stated in some endings/triggers he wrote about, if you get everyone united under a cyber-hive mind, then you can unlock a team that comes from a transcendent world (how cool would that be) but again, that's for later on.

To sum up: My cheap idea is to implement the ship's original mission which determines what your team will be, while keeping the default option of the team being random (or "rolled" let's say).

Jonofwrath

Option (via tick box) to cycle through pets with keyboard short-cuts.

Some pets have a lot of time invested in them and they're useful - would be good to be able to cycle through them to make sure they're able to go to the right areas, be given medicine, assign them a master etc.

Lascer

I don't know if it's suggested, but being able to assign pet beds like people beds would be nice with the bonded animal thing, or even just in general to help keep certain animals places.

blub01

Quote from: Lascer on May 11, 2016, 11:02:53 AM
I don't know if it's suggested, but being able to assign pet beds like people beds would be nice with the bonded animal thing, or even just in general to help keep certain animals places.

I guess you COULD assign a separate zone for every animal and remove all beds but that animal's from it.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Jonofwrath

So that animal would be allowed everywhere except for other animals beds. Clever.

My suggestion above would compliment either methods but I do think assigning beds would be great.

GarettZriwin

There is limit of 5 animal areas so this idea not working any time soon.

giannikampa

The event "Reinforcement":
during a raid the same raid is executed again, presented as a reinforcement of it doubling the initial enemie's squad.
Further reinforcements could still be possible!

This could help balancing late game instead of ridicoulous numbers all at once, and making battles last longer.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

b0rsuk

On the Deconstruct button, show a tooltip telling the (estimated) amount of resources and components I'd get. I'm currently playing permadeath, have 24 components and need 18 more to afford 10 cryptosleep caskets. I might get enough by deconstructing my base, but I don't know.

Either way, components as a game mechanic suggest a recycling approach.

Jonofwrath

Quote from: b0rsuk on May 12, 2016, 02:50:34 AM
On the Deconstruct button, show a tooltip telling the (estimated) amount of resources and components I'd get. I'm currently playing permadeath, have 24 components and need 18 more to afford 10 cryptosleep caskets. I might get enough by deconstructing my base, but I don't know.

Either way, components as a game mechanic suggest a recycling approach.

Agreed!