Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icantread

What is you added in basically a copy of the in-game metal, but have it as lead. Lead could be used to make advanced cables, and other electrical conduction/machines that are immunes to soalr flares, because lead blocks radiation.  F3 lead on here http://nuclearconnect.org/know-nuclear/science/protecting

Plus, apple trees, and pear trees, only need to program once then change several values or wahtever it is called and textures, and boom from one tree you get another.

b0rsuk

Sane defaults
When you construct a table, it has "Gathering place" enabled by default. Colonists will go there to 'relax socially'. However, if you build one close to a pile of contruction materials and then install it in dining room, it will have 'gathering place' DISABLED. I spent a lot of time scratching my head why my colonists drink so much beer. They compensated for lack of social relaxation with chemicals.

Conversely, campfires have 'gathering place' enabled by default. It may be cute, but it leads to annoying situations where a colonist will walk across the colony to chill at a remote campfire built only to keep a room warm.

I think it would be better to switch default settings: a table installed somewhere should have 'gathering place' enabled by default. A campfire should have 'gathering place' disabled by default. Campfires are often built during solar flares, during cold snaps, in prisons or hopspitals. The keyword here is temporary. It's highly annoying to uncheck 'gathering place' at every single campfire, especially if they go out and you rebuild them because colonists were busy with something else. It also leads to odd situations where colonists violate someone else's privacy by going to another room.

Alternatively, replace "gathering place" at campfires with a new option: "refuel the campfire". Switched off by default. This would work well for solar flares and maybe cold snaps, although they tend to last a little longer. It would work for temporary heating at prisons and hospitals. If "refuel the campfire" is switched on, colonists assume the fire is long term and will use it for relaxing socially. This should be in the tooltip.

b0rsuk

When instaling a battery or a power-using device, highlight all conduits.

When you double click on a pile of potatoes, you will see a text like Potatoes x11. It's slightly confusing and not very useful, because the number means how many *stacks* there are, not how many potatoes. It would be better to display the sum, or both the number of stacks and the number of individual items.

Lonely Rogue

Priorities based on zone. I would like my main base to be built before the mortar base half way across the map. Restrictions don't quite work because colonists can't leave to get resources. So we should be able to make something like restriction zones to set priority in those areas.
Rimworld: A game where you're kept as entertainment for thousand year old robots, and you just don't know it yet.
Any mod requests?

hwfanatic

Is it possible to show how many tiles a (growing) zone covers when selected?

ArguedPiano

Not sure if this has been suggested already but how about the ability to Reinstall Workbenches?
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Jonofwrath

"Not sure if this has been suggested already but how about the ability to Reinstall Workbenches?"

+1!!!!!

b0rsuk

Careful Shooter
Give it an extra benefit of halving chance of friendly fire. Players would love it, and it might gain a niche where a colonist with it could actually support melee fights.

Pila
Make it a dual purpose weapon. It's already a below average ranged weapon, although it hits like a truck. Make it double as a below average melee weapon (the same weapon would shoot AND increase melee damage, perhaps a bit faster to swing in melee).
This would make it a poor man's Power Claw. The weapon would be interesting for colonists who are good at both ranged and melee.

b0rsuk

Disfigured characters should be more understanding of other disfigured characters. My recruiter has a cut off nose, and the person I'm trying to recruit also has a missing nose. But they dislike each other on the basis of being disfigured.

sharpjd

Chocolate Milk:
Made on an electric stove with milk and chocolate. Gives 20%+ joy than regular chocolate.
Market value: $7.50

Bathing:
Colonists bathe in a body of water to gain comfort and a little bit of joy.

b0rsuk

Chocolate as crafting material
It should be possible to make at least sculptures out of chocolate! I think it should use Art rather than Cooking - melting chocolate is not terribly difficult, it's the sculpting part.
Colonists with backgrounds like Psychiatric Patient might come to you wielding a chocolate sword.
Chocolate sculptures should deteriorate.

New colonists with pets
Colonists should have a chance to arrive with a random pet animal.

Kryc8

Social activity as a joy activity. (talking with friends/family apologizing)
So I had a colonist wife who was a quest and her leg was shooted off.
Colonist did not care about his wife and he never decided to go to talk with her.
I think that colonist should have free will in his free time to go to his wife and talk with her.

kanukki

Super cheap idea (apologies if posted before - couldn't find in search):
Cleaners should automatically prioritize INDOOR areas.

(Thanks for dusting my fields, Spud...)

Jonofwrath

Quote from: kanukki on June 20, 2016, 11:13:57 AM
Super cheap idea (apologies if posted before - couldn't find in search):
Cleaners should automatically prioritize INDOOR areas.

(Thanks for dusting my fields, Spud...)

+1

Prioritised work areas would be ideal - think someone might have mentioned zoning 'clean this area' for example before but either way, cleaning could use a little attention.

b0rsuk

Alcohol consumption should lower minimum comfortable temperature. This might seem pedantic, but it works this way in real life. People living in cold biomes are advised NOT to drink alcohol when they're about to go outdoors. The feeling of being warm is there because the body is pissing the heat away.

This random bit of knowledge picked from a computer game might save someone's live, no harm done if it's implemented.

As for gameplay, it would diffrentiate extreme hot from extreme cold biomes. Currently they're largely symmetric, you just swap coolers for heaters and wear appropriate clothes.