Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daft73

Quote from: keylocke on March 05, 2014, 09:38:17 PM...
I agree with the campfire and the outside lights part. it's really important to have a cooking method that does not require electricity.
I agree with the roughing it mentality...though the base game has yet to offer some type of fuel to burn..ie woods ect. I suppose you could try to burn plants..but there goes the food.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: daft73 on March 06, 2014, 01:09:38 PM
I agree with the campfire and the outside lights part. it's really important to have a cooking method that does not require electricity.
I agree with the roughing it mentality...though the base game has yet to offer some type of fuel to burn..ie woods ect. I suppose you could try to burn plants..but there goes the food.
Well, from what I've seen, raiders burn quite well.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

woolfoma

make the colonists eat the oldest meals first so that now meal is allowed to rot.
I always have this problem because my cooks will make 50 meals then 40 of them will get eaten and I tell the cooks to make more and no one eats the old ones and I lose tonnes of food.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: woolfoma on March 08, 2014, 02:44:05 PM
make the colonists eat the oldest meals first so that now meal is allowed to rot.
I always have this problem because my cooks will make 50 meals then 40 of them will get eaten and I tell the cooks to make more and no one eats the old ones and I lose tonnes of food.
Perhaps making colonists eat old food first could be the default, and then have some colonists with traits that would only eat the newest food first, like Nobles or something.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Adam561

Based on what mods I made I would recommend adding batteries with different power levels and speed of filing. Also (Maybe a little longer, but more for modding) a way to change the texture of the gun on the turret (not just the base). Il be sure to post any other ideas I have in the future!
==Adam561==
==Mod Author and Designer==
==RimWorld==
www.adam561mods.webs.com

Monkfish

Adding different sizes of items would be a nice way of adding more content (and giving players greater options and flexibility) with the bonus being that it should be really 'cheap' to do.

• Turrets - A clone of the Improvised Turret, the "Standard Turret" takes up the same floor space but requires 100% more metal to build. However, it fires at 75% the rate of the Improvised Turret and deals 50% more damage.
  • Batteries - Smaller/larger batteries with suitably adjusted storage values. Perhaps add in different types of battery (i.e. "Lead Acid" and "Lithium Polymer") that have different energy densities and can therefore store more/less power in the same space but are more/less prone to short-circuit depending on type. Li-Po, for example, could have 150% the energy density of an equivalent size lead-acid battery but be 25% more likely to catch fire due to short circuit.
  • Solar Panels - Smaller panels could be made available and built next to outdoor items (such as turret) to power them directly and reduce the load on the main complex's battery bank. Alternatively, combined with a small battery pack, one could power turrets entirely independently of the rest of the complex, meaning that problems there won't leave you entirely defenseless.
  • Geothermal generators - As with solar panels, Geothermal Generators could be sized to allow greater options and introduce a better order to power generation. At the moment, starting a new colony with a geothermal vent nearby means that all of your power needs are instantly met and will be met for some time as it's possible to build a geothermal plant right off the bat. I think the current geothermal generator should be "end game" for power needs and be quite expensive to build. However, smaller versions could be implemented that have a much more reasonable resource requirement with a suitably reduced power output.
  • Beds - Addition of different types of bed that give differing buffs/debuffs depending on the type. Simple metal/wood bed, Basic bed (with matress) and Luxury bed (with teddy)
  • Doors - A simple internal door that requires no power but can still segregate rooms would be nice. Having a structure full of doors each drawing 50W soon eats through battery supplies. The simple door should be cheaper to make and still slow the Colonist down as unpowered doors currently do, but still be able to segregate rooms so that simple bedrooms can be constructed without including power-sapping doors. A strong lockable door could also be added that, when locked, prevents all movement but is quite resistant to damage. This could be used on complex entrances or high value areas (stockpiles etc.)
  • Wall lamps - Top half of the floor lamp texture with its base mounted towards the wall? Would allow placement of lamps in rooms without using up vital floorspace. Wall lamps could perhaps have a lower light output and power requirement as well as being cheaper to make (no stand).

Other items that I can think of that should be easy to implement and aren't copies of existing items;

• Traps - Set traps to catch Squirrels/Boomrats. Trap would be a 1x1 square cage that instantly kills a squirrel/boomrat that wanders over that square (with perhaps an associated trap-snapping-shut sound). Bait, which would be lost when the trap triggers, could possibly be added to entice creatures in rather than relying on chance for them to wander over the trap. This would be a nice method of 'farming' the wildlife without having to enlist a colonist to go and get beaten up. Traps could also be used to protect stockpiles.
Boomrat explosions should damage/destroy the trap depending on its condition.
  • Different plants - Probably been covered hundreds of times already, but different plants with different growth rates and nutritional value would be nice.
<insert witty signature here>

UrbanBourbon

Battery displays need to include a timer that shows how long it takes before the said battery is depleted if used at a current rate.

Monkfish

Good idea.

Speaking of batteries, how easy would it be to balance the charge across batteries in the same circuit? It upsets my electronics knowledge that this doesn't happen and the result of having differing battery levels upsets my symmetry OCD.  ;D

keylocke

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 06, 2014, 08:25:44 PM
Quote from: daft73 on March 06, 2014, 01:09:38 PM
Well, from what I've seen, raiders burn quite well.

mwahahaha..  tru dat. ;D

--------------
anyways, more cheap ideas :

-undrafted colonists, seem to have no sense of danger. they should have an AI that tells them to interrupt their current task and tell them to run away from enemies upon visual contact. (maybe tell them to gather to the nearest dining table.

-drafted colonists should have an AI that tells them to automatically seek the nearest cover available when their cover is destroyed or when they are caught standing on open ground.

-colonists should stop shooting when friendlies are caught in the crossfire. same thing when using thrown weapons. friendly fire needs to look more like an accident rather than deliberately ignoring friendlies in your line of sight even after emptying several bullet clips .

Armorat

Quote from: Monkfish on March 11, 2014, 08:16:46 AM
Doors - A simple internal door that requires no power but can still segregate rooms would be nice. Having a structure full of doors each drawing 50W soon eats through battery supplies. The simple door should be cheaper to make and still slow the Colonist down as unpowered doors currently do, but still be able to segregate rooms so that simple bedrooms can be constructed without including power-sapping doors. A strong lockable door could also be added that, when locked, prevents all movement but is quite resistant to damage. This could be used on complex entrances or high value areas (stockpiles etc.)

Tynan's already added a simple door for the next build ("Added simple door. Cheaper, but cannot be powered."), so you're good on that one. I like the heavy lockable door as well, though I think it should require a colonist to do the locking and unlocking, rather than operating it yourself from godmode.

Monkfish

keylocke

-prevent live people from occupying the same space at the same time (just add rigidbodies and colliders that are unset as a trigger or something). since this generally leads to problems when you want to aim for specific enemies that are hiding behind a "doom stack". (a doom stack is a huge stack of enemies that players sometimes encounter when playing through the end game).

(note : other base building games have the same phase-shifting properties, but i never once condone it's use since i thought it was such a lackluster way to simplify pathfinding)

---------------

this should also force the players to reconsider their base designs to incorporate the fact that 2 objects should not be able to occupy the same space at the same time. (unless they got super-mutie powahs or they occupy different z-levels)

just think about it, players (like me) could usually get away with this and abuse base designs that should've generated enormous amounts of traffic jams from the colonists (single tile corridors? lol).

base design is too "simplistic" coz of this, since it's like missing an additional layer of complexity that players should be addressing in order to be able to design a base that actually makes logical sense.

UrbanBourbon

Replace the Research skill with Education.
Education: Still same as Research when it comes to discovering new techs but:
At level 6: Gain +10% learning speed for all the other skills
At level 15: Gain +100% learning speed for all the other skills (maxes out here)
That's +10% per level of Education, starting at lvl 6.

Additionally: let colonists gain/practice Education at Research tables, up to lvl 10, for example.

UrbanBourbon

Hated skills and tasks!
These are the opposite of passion skills. Not only do the colonists learn these skills slower but if you put a colonist to do these tasks, their loyalty and happiness go down. In the Thoughts tab it could appear as 'Worked on something he/she hated'. Perhaps in the same vein, a colonist should gain happiness if he's assigned to apply passioned skills?

leetreet

I think with the food system, make a minimum/max option in it so you don't run out or have hundreds of meals,also maybe on the butchers table have a hunt option so you can always have a minimum of meat.