Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

i'd suggest that some diseases should only be contracted via :

-animal bites or melee attacks by people infected by the disease. (berserk colonists or raiders.. usually tribals).. this is good for plagues and muscle parasites.

-sensory mechanites can happen if you got hit by mechanoids.

-infection is fine enough as it is via infected wounds

-flu should be more common in cold biomes, especially if colonist is experiencing hypothermia

-malaria should be more common in temperate biomes, especially if colonist walks in marshes.

-pets can get infected too, and then they can transfer the infection to handlers via nuzzling or if they go berserk to attack.

-you also need to beware about the animals you hunt. make sure you don't eat infected meat.

-another way to contract a disease is based on the amount of time a colonist spends in the same room as the infected person/animal (dead or alive). this way, players are forced to have quarantine rooms that are separate from their normal combat injury hospitals.

-another source of disease is walking on tiles that have puke/blood on it from infected animals/people.

-people staying in rooms that have a lot of pukes have a larger chance of getting infected by the disease.

-people can also get infected by touching infected corpses or walking on blood from infected people. animals/humans eating infected corpses can infect animals/humans

-infected corpses in the room would also increase infection of disease to people in the same room.

-the more wounds you have, the higher chances of getting infected with a disease. especially when walking on puke/blood/marsh/swamp/ or handling infected corpses.

Eddlm

Game Mechanics:
Windows: Basically, walls that let light through. This would let players illuminate rooms using natural light. Its also something very basic, all man-made (above ground) buildings have it. Being able to use natural light would be really useful.
Doors with windows would be a nice addition to this base idea.

A cheap way of implementing this would be to create a light source on the inside side of that wall whose intensity and color would be defined by the intensity/color of the original day light, so it would stay coherent all day.

And then:
An option to toggle lamps off during daytime: This would save energy, and the room would be lit by natural light from the feature above anyway.
I'm thinking this feature would could be done by auto-tasking pawns with the Flicker job with switching the lamp on/off at 20pm/7am every day. An upgraded version could have the lamps switch automatically.

With these two features combined, the now-dynamic change in lighting (white sunlight during the day, orange/blue/red/whatever lamp color light during the night) would add a sense of dynamism, and give the player appropiate visual mood for the situation (aka day/night cycle).

Traits:
Fears Thunderstorms: This pawn would be forced to seek inside areas while there's a thunderstorm (and a temporary negative thought?). They would resume normal behavior when the thunderstorm goes away.
Thunderstorm Lover: This pawn would simply get a good thought for some hours when there's one.

Fears fire: The pawn wouldn't be able to put out fire and would get a big negative thought (-15) for around two ingame hours if he sees fire.

Likes [random animal from the current map]: The pawn would get temporal positive thoughts when they see that animal. It would only work with non-tamed animals, to prevent permanent mood boosts.
With this feature, players might prefer X (depressed) pawn to tame Y animal simply because of the mood boost.

Dislikes [random creepy animal, like insects or rats]: The pawn would get temporal negative thoughts when they see that animal (tamed or not).
Fears [random creepy/aggresive animal, like wolves, bears, insects or rats]: Extreme version. The pawn would temporally flee if they get too close to that kind of animal.

Pawn behavior:
Pawns whose rooms have a lamp should switch off said lamp when they go to sleep.
Wouldn't it be nice to see such human thing on them? Nobody sleeps with the lights on!

Items/Entities:
Wardrdobe: Fancy piece of furniture for storing clothes. While not being used, it would show the doors closed, but if a pawn goes there to get/store clothes, it would change the sprite to an open-door version, ideally showing at least one of the items it currently stores.
Shower: Pawns would get filth on themselves by working outside or mining. Going to the shower -while on idle time- would remove it and give a small good thought.

My two cents! Now that the game is more easily moddable, I might try to make some of them reality myself.

Jonofwrath

Copy production station (ie cooking fires etc) bills so that you can paste the bills into a new / replacement station.

makkenhoff

Positive mental breakdown - a rare occurrence, but temporarily ends all mood effects for the colonist, showcasing the human will to live through extreme situations.

kingspade09

A wall with a firing slit like sand bags but better so enemy can't get in.

Wex

Quote from: makkenhoff on July 17, 2016, 07:02:54 PM
Positive mental breakdown - a rare occurrence, but temporarily ends all mood effects for the colonist, showcasing the human will to live through extreme situations.
Stress induced bravery, to the point of fearlessness.
Not unheard of. It's the step before berserking, and can happen in a no combat situation.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

TiZeR

Hi. Simple idea with stockpiles. Game havent posibility to separate one type things made from diffrent materials. For examples:
1. simple meals. meals of human meat and meals of potatoes folds in one stack/stockpile. And no way to separate them.
2. various apparels. When colony become big (>20 colonists) there is a need better sort things. I want to do stockpile (5x2) only for jacket made from devilstrand, but i cant do this because game do not give such a possibility to do this. I can do stockpile only for jacket made from all ingame materilas for apparel. Its sad when you try to construct perfect colony.
3. Meele weapons,  sculptures, furniture, food, other apparels ... the same as in point 1 & 2.

I think better way to solve that, it add choise of material after item. I'm not sure that is correct explained, thus see attachment image. And for outfits apparel & weapon need to do the same.

Second idea: add floor which slowdown movement like chunks or sandbags (for defense tactics). For example: concrete with built-in barbwire.
Thx for reading.

p.s. excelent game  :)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

blub01

Quote from: keylocke on July 17, 2016, 01:16:26 PM
i'd suggest that some diseases should only be contracted via :

-animal bites or melee attacks by people infected by the disease. (berserk colonists or raiders.. usually tribals).. this is good for plagues and muscle parasites.

-sensory mechanites can happen if you got hit by mechanoids.

-infection is fine enough as it is via infected wounds

-flu should be more common in cold biomes, especially if colonist is experiencing hypothermia

-malaria should be more common in temperate biomes, especially if colonist walks in marshes.

-pets can get infected too, and then they can transfer the infection to handlers via nuzzling or if they go berserk to attack.

-you also need to beware about the animals you hunt. make sure you don't eat infected meat.

-another way to contract a disease is based on the amount of time a colonist spends in the same room as the infected person/animal (dead or alive). this way, players are forced to have quarantine rooms that are separate from their normal combat injury hospitals.

-another source of disease is walking on tiles that have puke/blood on it from infected animals/people.

-people staying in rooms that have a lot of pukes have a larger chance of getting infected by the disease.

-people can also get infected by touching infected corpses or walking on blood from infected people. animals/humans eating infected corpses can infect animals/humans

-infected corpses in the room would also increase infection of disease to people in the same room.

-the more wounds you have, the higher chances of getting infected with a disease. especially when walking on puke/blood/marsh/swamp/ or handling infected corpses.

but is it cheap? not to be offensive or anything, but this thread is for cheap suggestions. make your own thread in the suggestions subforum for anything complex.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

skinicism

Mushroom nectar and cross-mushroom pollination

by mushroom flies is my idea. I'm not sure how

complicated something like that would be.

Jonofwrath

Time-based zone restrictions

Currently you can restrict where a pawn can go - I'd like to integrate this concept into the working hours table and restrict them *by time of day* so that I can confine my chef to the kitchen during the day - but then allow him to go anywhere during his breaks then allow him anywhere in the Home area during the night.

bdole92

Super cheap idea. Totem pole, a joy item that can be constructed by tribals. They interact with it like they do all other joy items (stand around it)

bdole92

Second Super Cheap Idea: Sling. Neolithic ranged weapon, high range/fire rate, good accuracy low damage. I would like ranged alternatives to the short bow for my tribals

hwfanatic

I feel like tribalwear could use some heat protection, for those low-tech colonies that can't afford air conditioning.

HelpzTePoopies

I want to be able to drag around the order of things in the work menu, so that I can choose what is higher priority for my colony. (See attach for pic of where in the UI I mean!)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Gemeciusz

wallpapers: basically floors you can add only on wall tiles, gives beauty in a small radius, destroyed if wall destroyed.