Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirid

Roaming Muffalo and Fly Swarms..These are cheap animal ideas. 10-30mins to make easy
A larger, slightly rarer roaming muffalo with horns. This creates the idea that the females herd up while the males migrate and control many herds over large territories, I think that's realistic. Much scarier when they go crazy. Also some baby muffalo in the herd perhaps. I posted this idea in the mods section, but I would like to see it actually implemented, its easy.
Swarms of flies, simple to draw, they function as a herd like muffalo, but faster, super low health, yet very hard to hit. They get hungry easily, and eat up food left lying in the wastes. 
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

ChesStrategy

Hi Tynan,

An idea being 'cheap' is heavily dependent on how the game/code was implemented. Without knowing the details, I can only hope that these suggestions are 'decently' cheap.

Objects:

• Switch Wall (Structure) - Wall with a toggle switch (can toggle via right click menu (similar to hailing a ship via comms console). Effectively has 2 states:

• On (acts like a metal wall)
    • Off (acts like a non-conductive stone wall )
    This allows people to make isolated backup arrays of batteries (protection from shorts, and also selectively disable certain groups of electrical objects 
  • Runaway Slave (Story Event) - Spawn a raider and wanderer pair on one edge of the map and traverse to another edge (with wanderer attacking/fleeing on occasion) The raider is set to target the wanderer and kill him/her. If your colonists kill the raider (deal damage to the raider) and he is slain, the wanderer asks for protective custody (becomes a prisoner)
  • Prone Stance (like Drafting Mode) - Acts just like drafting but colonist moves at a much slower speed, however, he/she gains some cover/defensive bonus in the vector that he/she is 'crawling' (Not sure how complicated the cover/fire system is)

Monkfish

The combat system has quite a lot of depth to it already as it has been borrowed from other project Tynan has worked on. (as stated in the Tactics section at http://rimworldgame.com/)

Anyway, cheap ideas:

Job assignment: Clicking on an item like a cooker or stonecutting table, or perhaps even construction blueprints, will show you who is currently working on/with that item. Should be cheap to implement as this information would be readily available from the jobs lists/queues, and handy to know for a multitude of scenarios like, "are my chefs actually cooking stuff?" or "who's building this door?" or whatever other situation you find yourself in in which this information would be handy.

Like this:

Chef Hauling: In the same vein as the recent patch notes stating that colonists will fill up the nutrient paste dispenser if it's empty even if they're not a hauler, would it be a simple job to have the chef haul a meal that they've just cooked to a table/stockpile rather than just throwing it on the floor, even if they're not a hauler? This would be far more visually pleasing and have the advantage that stockpiled meal numbers would be accurate (which would tie in nicely with the other patch note stating that desired stockpile levels can be set for items).
<insert witty signature here>

idgarad

Define a room as a freezer where food can be stored indefinitely but must be powered.

Splinterbee

Comfort things to make your people happy such as: paintings or art tables just for your people to draw or write. Sure calms my nerves.
Couches to sit and relax when tired but not quite ready to sleep. Tv that requires antenna for people to stare at for hours on end.
Video games, are pretty good

flobojoe

Sorry if this has already been suggested but a way to lock the doors. When raiders are attacking my base would be great if I could lock the doors to stop my people running out and getting in the way of my turrets.

ApexPredator

I was thinking it would be nice if in the overview tab had the skill levels for each person in each category within each box. So if I was looking at a list of 10 colonists I could easily pick from the overview my two best cooks to be the only cooks, or have the best three miners assigned to that position.

Monkfish

Quote from: Monkfish on March 20, 2014, 04:39:13 PM
Chef Hauling: In the same vein as the recent patch notes stating that colonists will fill up the nutrient paste dispenser if it's empty even if they're not a hauler, would it be a simple job to have the chef haul a meal that they've just cooked to a table/stockpile rather than just throwing it on the floor, even if they're not a hauler? This would be far more visually pleasing and have the advantage that stockpiled meal numbers would be accurate (which would tie in nicely with the other patch note stating that desired stockpile levels can be set for items).

Quote from: RimWorld Changelog

March 26
- You can now suspend bills without deleting or modifying them for easy later reactivation.
- AI will now immediately store items after creating them at a bench (if there are multiple items, the first one will be automatically insta-stored). This is part of the crafting job and is independent of hauling.
- Testing and grinding down bugs produced over the past few weeks.
- Various minor usability improvements.
Wow! Make a suggestion* and 6 days later it's in the game (well, current internal build). Now that's some turnaround. Nicely done, Tynan.  ;D

*I will be exceptionally egocentric and assume it was the first time it was suggested

Necronomocoins

Quote from: flobojoe on March 25, 2014, 02:43:40 AM
Sorry if this has already been suggested but a way to lock the doors. When raiders are attacking my base would be great if I could lock the doors to stop my people running out and getting in the way of my turrets.
I've been thinking the same thing, but with changeable states for powered doors only, (open, closed, locked, unlocked.) and possibly an access list, like with the storage/dumping lists but crossed off colonists won't use the door.

johnpaul_riley

Suggestion for managing happiness buffs/debuffs: 

Pawns don't get unhappy when seeing dead bodies, being in darkness, awful environment, cramped space etc outside of the home zone, but do get unhappy for all these things in the home zone.

Pawns do get a substantial unhappiness debuff if they try to meet a rest/food need outside the homezone, i.e collapsing on the ground due to exhaustion when not in the homezone, or eating food when not in the homezone.

This gives a reason to keep homezones well-built up to meet needs of happiness and comfort, but doesn't punish pawns for mining or fighting outside the homezone, and gives them a reason to return home periodically.

Monkfish

Was not aware of that. Handy to know, thanks.

EDIT: Wait, was that a statement or a suggestion? I read it as a statement...

johnpaul_riley

Ooops, edited my post to reflect that it is a suggestion, not a statement.  apologies for the confusion.

Monkfish

DanGio

A ressource that been once in a stockpile could always appear in the up left corner, even at 0. It would be easier to manage stocks.

Monkfish

Not sure why that would make it easier, unless the number is highlighted/flashes, as a lack of an item just means it's not listed. Not listed = you have none, which is the same as it being listed with a zero against it.