Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haplo

I've just seen the video of Das24680 and seen that you use kJ as the unit for the batteries, but W for power consumtion of turrets and lights.
Most people can't really guess how long the batteries will supply a turret when fully loaded.
To get a better comparabillity how about using Wh instead of kJ for the batteries? (3600kj = 1kWh = 1000Wh)
So... Batteries have 26000kJ => around 7222Wh => It can support 7222 W for the time of 1 hour...
(I know, I know,.. it's not really importent, but it is easier to guess the supply-time when the unit is similiar than to look up the conversion Joule <=> Watt and it's something that catched my eye :) )

Hypolite

Agreed, I was guessing how long it would last by guesstimating the rate at which batteries were used. A more convenient unit is cheap to show, and adds a little bit comfort.

Tynan

How about I switch it over to Wd (watt days)? Just because smaller numbers are nicer and an "hour" is a bit ambiguous in this game anyway.

Thanks everyone; some of these ideas are quite good (especially the ones that address specific issues in the game as it stands).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

huxi

Wd (watt days) would be fine, I think.

I haven't played the game, just watched videos, so this may already exist:
mouse-over over turrets should show their radius.

Tynan

Quote from: huxi on October 09, 2013, 07:23:01 PM
mouse-over over turrets should show their radius.

How about when selected? I can do that...

Pheanox

That would definitely be handy for planning defenses.

salt1219

so i noticed you seem to only be able to haul rubble, how about being able to destroy it too? maybe as a added use to blast caps.  alternately maybe allow colonists to mine it, this would clear it but also give a low % change to yield a little metal.

bodies should attract boomrats, if you don't clear/bury them they attract boomrats and if they are close to your buildings that could be dangerous.

raiders don't seem to seek cover, at least not in the youtube videos i've seen, maybe they should.  i don't know if this would make the game too difficult.

Tynan

Quote from: salt1219 on October 09, 2013, 07:42:02 PM
so i noticed you seem to only be able to haul rubble, how about being able to destroy it too? maybe as a added use to blast caps.  alternately maybe allow colonists to mine it, this would clear it but also give a low % change to yield a little metal.

bodies should attract boomrats, if you don't clear/bury them they attract boomrats and if they are close to your buildings that could be dangerous.

raiders don't seem to seek cover, at least not in the youtube videos i've seen, maybe they should.  i don't know if this would make the game too difficult.

You can blow up debris if you really want. But they're not supposed to be easy to get rid of. As for raiders, they definitely seek cover.

huxi

Radius on select makes even more sense since this would work better for future touch device versions.

salt1219

Quote from: Tynan on October 09, 2013, 07:44:07 PM
Quote from: salt1219 on October 09, 2013, 07:42:02 PM

You can blow up debris if you really want. But they're not supposed to be easy to get rid of. As for raiders, they definitely seek cover.

cool, i didn't know that.  guess we had the same idea :)

Conti027

A way to empty your Dumping Area.
A junk/salvage trader will take your trash off you for a price.

Edit: Fire extinguisher!!!!!

Unfortunately I haven't played but from Youtube videos it seems like fires can be a big problem.

Xanting

Fortifications, like sandbags but impassable.

Hypolite

Quote from: Conti027 on October 09, 2013, 08:06:50 PM
A way to empty your Dumping Area.
A junk/salvage trader will take your trash off you for a price.
Yes please, I had trash problem in my current game, had a few guys throwing grenades at the dump areas while other colonist were putting new stuff...

Cheap idea: Yellow carpet. Only three colors prevents me from doing cool patterns.

turnip

Quote from: Hypolite on October 09, 2013, 08:12:48 PM
Cheap idea: Yellow carpet. Only three colors prevents me from doing cool patterns.

Oh yeah, there should be more colors of carpet as well. All the basics (White, Black and Yellow) should be added for the purpose of making cool things on the floors.
Turnips should be a growable plant.

huxi

Oh, another cheap idea:
We should probably temporarily move the discussion over to the Kickstarter comments section as much as possible since more comments increase the ranking on Kicktraq if I'm not mistaken. And Kicktraq means exposure. I found RimWorld that way and it's currently #20 on http://www.kicktraq.com/hotlist/ (#7 in the video game section). Top Ten would likely help quite a bit since it would show up on the start page...

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/tynansylvester/rimworld/