Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konscience

Quote from: toric on December 04, 2015, 11:19:38 PM
solar flares do not effect electronics under mountain roofs.
This. I do believe there is already a trigger reacting to "Under thick roof" zones (Infestations?)

On a side note, why can't we no longer plant Devilstrand in hydroponics?
While it is immune to blight, we can't no longer grow Devilstrand in arid or mountain biomes, due to the lack of >70% fertility ground (Devilstrand die before maturity in this case). Hydroponic was the only viable way to grow it : /

Sian

Could the tech tree make a bit more sense please? ... you can research Charged Shot (and Multibarrel weapons), before you research Machining

MerlosTheMad

Quote from: Konscience on December 07, 2016, 07:17:23 AM
Quote from: toric on December 04, 2015, 11:19:38 PM
solar flares do not effect electronics under mountain roofs.
This. I do believe there is already a trigger reacting to "Under thick roof" zones (Infestations?)

On a side note, why can't we no longer plant Devilstrand in hydroponics?
While it is immune to blight, we can't no longer grow Devilstrand in arid or mountain biomes, due to the lack of >70% fertility ground (Devilstrand die before maturity in this case). Hydroponic was the only viable way to grow it : /

Almost everything you said was a double negative or backwards. lol I think I follow you though.

mumblemumble

allow animals (or colonists?) to eat downed pawns alive, without needing to kill.

this would make hungry animals slightly less dangerous, but more horrific, ripping and eating them as they live, but possibly leaving them half eaten, but alive.

Plus, what would be more horrific than scavangers biting off chunks of dead raiders?... like hungry rats gnawing out an incapacitated raiders eyes.

It would ALSO make meat last longer for predators, as meat isn't destroyed doing the killing blows.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Imness

Sun roofing would be nice tbh I hate using sun lamps in cold areas it's really expensive to run a colony in cold areas because your unable to use anything but sun lamps to grow crops.

Thundercraft

Quote from: Imness on December 09, 2016, 05:58:54 AM
Sun roofing would be nice tbh I hate using sun lamps in cold areas it's really expensive to run a colony in cold areas because your unable to use anything but sun lamps to grow crops.

A sun roof for an indoor garden? The only way that should work is if you live in a climate zone near the equator, where the sun stays more-or-less overhead for much of the day. But then, if your colony was located in a warm climate, there should be no need for "sun roofing" to grow crops indoors.

In colder climates - outside of Summer - sunlight reaches you at an angle. And because sunlight is at an angle, a flat roof to let sunlight in would be much less effective.

Also, the days (i.e., periods of sunlight) become shorter and shorter the further you are from the equator. (See Winter solstice and Polar night.)

A greenhouse works in most climates because it's not just the roof that is transparent, but also the walls. Suggesting greenhouses as a cheap idea is okay. But I would have them require glass (or transparent) walls and a glass (or transparent) roof. You shouldn't be able to have one without the other and still work.

Admirer

Just a way to control pets directly, perhaps a medical item you install to their brain, or a result of training. As long as they are within a certain radius of their master they can be controlled in a similar fashion to drafted colonists.

Admirer

Advanced benches! They do the same thing, but much faster at the expense of more power, and cost to make. Also, maybe a multi purpose bench that can do the job of multiple benches to preserve space, or more ergonomic crafting.

JimmyAgnt007

Mountain maps that arnt all off to the side, with big gaps in them.  Meaning, a solid mountain in the middle of the map with land all around it.  Or a crater where its like the mountain in the middle except for a small patch of rich soil in the middle.

Also the ability to pick a spot that doesnt have ponds or water on the map to get in the way of crap.

Alenerel

Flames in the work tab are difficult to see when have a number and skill colors. I would like a way where you can easily see them. Maybe change their color.

Imness

I see where your going there not just to have a sun roof but to have glass walls to make thing viable that'd be interesting to have but probably not the cheapest idea either....

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 09, 2016, 09:14:50 AM
Quote from: Imness on December 09, 2016, 05:58:54 AM

A sun roof for an indoor garden? The only way that should work is if you live in a climate zone near the equator, where the sun stays more-or-less overhead for much of the day. But then, if your colony was located in a warm climate, there should be no need for "sun roofing" to grow crops indoors.

In colder climates - outside of Summer - sunlight reaches you at an angle. And because sunlight is at an angle, a flat roof to let sunlight in would be much less effective.

Also, the days (i.e., periods of sunlight) become shorter and shorter the further you are from the equator. (See Winter solstice and Polar night.)

A greenhouse works in most climates because it's not just the roof that is transparent, but also the walls. Suggesting greenhouses as a cheap idea is okay. But I would have them require glass (or transparent) walls and a glass (or transparent) roof. You shouldn't be able to have one without the other and still work.

Grishnerf

make it that you can see what Technology you arre researching with mousehover tooltip over Research-tab.
remove the Research finished Pop up and make the Research tab glow in a Color when a Technology is finished.
Born in Toxic Fallout
Drop-Pod Escape Artist

Berownie

hover with cursor over manual priority and press a number to set it to this number.

i somehow can't believe this is not in the game. is it in there and i just missed something? right now it changes the speed

Alenerel

Quote from: Berownie on December 10, 2016, 02:38:30 AM
hover with cursor over manual priority and press a number to set it to this number.

i somehow can't believe this is not in the game. is it in there and i just missed something? right now it changes the speed

I also thought of that and its a good idea, would make much less painful assigning priorities. The only problem would be that you could miss the box and change the speed instead.

About the keys 1-3 changing the speed, they are good as they are.

Berownie

Quote from: Alenerel on December 10, 2016, 03:15:12 AM
[...]
About the keys 1-3 changing the speed, they are good as they are.

absolutely. i didn't want to appear as denying that. i appreciate that we share the same view on this.

there are many ways to implement it and hopefully Tynan finds a way to not accidentally change the speed if he adds this to the game.

another cheap idea would be to combine creating order with deleting same order that you just press rightclick to delete a zone.
at first when writing this i thought i'd unstood the reasoning behind this but the more i think about it the less reason i see. it just struck me as very counter intuitiv that you can't completely manipulate a single order with one unified tool for it.
The hotkey system follows non intuitiv system as i see no repetiv muster behind it.