Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlequin

How 'cheap' would it be to include prisoner hostility?
Having them sometimes try to kill the warden when they visit?
They tend to be pretty compliant whenever they've been thrown in prison, rarely if ever trying to escape.

Darth Fool

A button to take you to where fighting is happening.

Nasikabatrachus

When setting up my defenses, I've found it frustrating to try to assign particular pawns to a task. If I want Joey Jabroni, my best builder, to set up a turret, chances are Bob Jablobi of skill level 4 has already taken the task. To get Joey on the task, I have to right-click on the task, find out it's taken, pause the game, find and recruit Bob, go back to Joey, give Joey the task, unpause the game to let Joey start working, and remember to unrecruit Bob a couple minutes later.

My suggestions are thus:

1.Let players override current task assignments through right-click prioritization.
2. Let players reserve a task for one pawn exclusively.

As things stand, I have to limit the number of pawns assigned to construction to only the best if I want the important things done quickly. However, that's sub-optimal when the only thing to do is lay down some power conduits.

Darth Fool

-Penalizing happiness when someone else is in the room in which you are sleeping, not just if there is more than one owned bed.  If I am interpreting things correctly, currently colonists may feel happy because they aren't sharing a bedroom, despite the fact that they are sleeping in room which is a convenient shortcut that everyone and their clone brother walks through on their way to the kitchen.  Which brings up point two:

-Private Door ownership.  Rooms could then effectively be sealed off from other colonists.

-Or more generally, have a toggle on map elements (doors, food, furniture, buildings) that would "allow private ownership".  Then, the first colonist to use that element would "own" it until you toggled off the private ownership.  Other colonists would respect the ownership.  People then could have private chairs that they sit in, or you could make sure that only one guy is using the kitchen stove while another one is using the butchery(both use the cooking skill).  (!!creeping featurism alert!!) People might gain a small amount of happiness when they first "own" new things and lose happiness if those things are destroyed/deconstructed.  ("Those d*#$ raiders destroyed MY precious lamp.  What did it ever do to them?")

JKTD1919

How about priorities for growing zones? My oafs are all focusing on Potatoes on Regular soil, rather than milking my Rich Soil for cash Berries.
Os iusti meditabitur sapientian, et lingua eius loquetur iudicium. Venerit vir qui sufferit tentationem.

Xanting

Alpha 3 seems to have removed the ability to sort colonists bodies from raider bodies and is now under a new nebulous category of human bodies. A subsection under human bodes that separates colonist bodies from other human bodies would be nice to have back especially for graves.

Also weapon racks would be much less frustrating to use then they are currently if there was a way to select or deselect all the guns they accept. Right now you have to deselect all the weapons you don't want to have on a weapon rack to have it hold only a specific weapon, which for one rack is no big deal for for about a dozen of them it gets tiring clicking though all of the check boxes.

Splinterbee

2 words. Flavour paste. Comes outta nutrient paste dispenser and might have something to make it taste different. Makes colonists happy since they don't like nutrient paste or raw food. (They should like raw berries)
Video games, are pretty good

Darth Fool

Buttons to rotate through colonists (or other selected items)

Ermantis

How about local traders ? Like a group of 2 or 3 people that come to the colony, settle for a day or two, and trades goods as Sapceships do ?
They could open new routes to colonies or people, we could attack them to capture theirs goods and people...

Ermantis

Colony hall : a definable zone (similar to Home) where colonist will go when idle to meet, chat, rest, etc.
(Would be great to have a real feeling of community)

Thoughtless

This should be pretty cheap, my favorite map configuration is having the mountain in the top of the map. I've only been able to make it happen once, after trying 20+ times, it'd be nice if you could choose your map configuration or choose a random map. 

Foul

Not sure if these have been suggested over the last 50 pages or so, but a simple thing I'd like to see is an animal's soon-to-be corpse being automatically marked for collection when selected for hunting. Its extra busy-work to hunt the animal then have to manually select the corpse to retrieve and butcher it into food. To kill an animal without intent of collection is to fire upon it without the hunting designation, although that's a waste of fine meals. Hunting implies that you return what you kill.

Would also like to see some sort of "Forgotten Beast" creature that shows up and ruins your day, strength of ten men kind of deal, lots of meat if you butcher it etc. Perhaps poisons crops, withstands explosions or R4 fire etc etc. On that note it'd be nice to see raiders with different resistances and weaknesses (like thick slow armour, energy shields weak against fire etc) which would put an emphasis on building a rounded armoury and arming up dynamically for different threats.

Still on the resistances train of thought, perhaps there could be a raider unit that has a "shield generator" as a weapon, cowers among the bank ranks and protects other units from gunfire (like some Diablo 3 creatures do). Strategically it could push you into melee combat with the shielded unit or into flanking and locking down the generator unit.

Really digging Alpha 3, still the best colony game next to dwarf fortress and its only getting better. Cheers Ludeon!

FtDLulz

Quote from: Foul on April 18, 2014, 11:45:42 PM
Not sure if these have been suggested over the last 50 pages or so, but a simple thing I'd like to see is an animal's soon-to-be corpse being automatically marked for collection when selected for hunting. Its extra busy-work to hunt the animal then have to manually select the corpse to retrieve and butcher it into food. To kill an animal without intent of collection is to fire upon it without the hunting designation, although that's a waste of fine meals. Hunting implies that you return what you kill.
Don't worry about the first one, it's on Tynan's to-do list. ;)

bombarding

my hope is just let hopper can be build next to stove and not just nutrient....so my chef dont waste time pick up raw food far away.

confusedwings

don't know if this would be a 'cheap' idea but it's a idea:

The colony doesn't produce any trash for now maybe you can add this to the game.
- random trash creation around place where ppl 'contruct,make,harvest or use' objects (around tables or places where others eat, stonecutting, etc.)
- trash could be collected to go into a compressor
- comprest trash could be used to make 'compost' in a compost barrel (with make compost after X amount of time) or burned to gain power.