Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Put the Uninstall and Remove Floor Button in every Building Menu that apply to them,
the same as cancel and deconstruct. And give them global hotkeys.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

jpinard

jpinard

Allow growing hay to be eaten by Herbivores and Omnivores, and also create 2 events associated with them.

Event #1 - Bunny population explosion.  Due to the abundance of planted hay, rabbit reproduction went into overdrive.  This event would quickly mow down your hay, but would also be fantastic for target practice and provided a sudden burst of pelts and meat.  This could be applied to any small hay eater animal.

Event #2 - (not written).  But you don't have your area walled in, the hay is a huge draw to all the critters that need the sustenance.  This could devastate the reserves for your own animals if you don't watch it (cool), but at the same time, would provide a supply of food that outpaces grass and does not need to be hauled to feed the animals that rely on it.

jpinard

Not sure if I should be making a single post with all these so apologies.  One event I'd like to see that I haven't encountered is

Cabin Fever

It would work like this:  It has a lower threshold than pyromania and will trigger when someone is stuck inside for more than a 1.5 day/night cycle.  When the pawn gets cabin fever they start pounding on the walls damaging them.  This could also break a wall with wiring in it could electrocute him.  But most of the time there would be a roll after x amount of hits to move to a new tile or continue pounding the current one to break out.  If he gets outside, another roll will determine whether he strips off all his clothes and randomly runs around map naked for x amount of time.  Once he comes out of cabin fever he will have a mood debuff if you put the same clothes on him for 1 day.

dsc

I have a lot of UI/UX requests that, to me, are small, but honestly I have no idea if the GUI is all glued together with twigs and XML or what. Here we go.

Hotkeys

• The ability to use meta keys (Shift, Ctrl, Alt/Option, Cmd) in binding shortcuts.
  • Configurable hotkeys for (and these can even just be blank by default, so long as the option is there):

• (esp) "Architect > Orders" and "Architect > Zones", but really all the Architect sub-panes. Would be fine if relative to having the Architect menu open, but globals would also be great. (I am tempted to make my computer record the frequency I click those two buttons during an hour of RimWorld, and see if its a majority of all clicks.)
    • Hotkey for "Re-select last selectable". A stack of 10 "undo de-selects" would also be nice, but less small. ("Who is free for hauling? Ah crap now where did that half a pig-corpse go? *scans whole map AGAIN*")
    • Open the (i) Info inspector on an object.
    • The lenses/options in the bottom-right, like the Beauty lens, or Toggle Zones
    • The tabs available on an object, indexed right-to-left (eg, on a Colonist: 1 Health, 2 Needs, 3 Character, etc. The same hotkey for "Health" would toggle "Storage" on a Zone, "Bills" on a Workbench, etc. You know, just like with Orders.)
    • A hokey for "Jump to Event", applying both to Letters (eg, "Zzzzt") and the white-text Notifications in the top-left ("A chunk of spacecraft has fallen nearby!") as if you clicked it.

UI/UX

• An option to increase *only* the size of the text that displays information about the tile under the cursor (at the bottom-left when nothing is selected). I'd also love the ability to anchor that box elsewhere (like, on the right, above the Weather/Date box, but below the Alerts/Letters queue). I frequently find I switch back and forth between UI Scales simply to make that text easier to read while I scan a new map.
  • With all Areas (both Colonist and Animal), it would be great if I could double-click/right-click the color swatch in the Manage Areas pane to change it. A colorpicker would be nice, but even "double-click on the swatch to randomly select a new color for this area" would be better than add-delete over and over until I get ones that I can tell at a glance.
  • Relatedly, it'd be awesome be able to reorder Areas/Animal Areas in the Manage Areas pane. The present ("Colors in the wrong place? Delete them all and start over!") is really a pain when you have a LOT of Animal Area rules.
  • Still in Manage Areas: a button (after the "(X)" to delete) to clone an Area with the same settings, but a new color and name. This would make gradual specialization easier to attain with animals (for now, I do it by hand).
  • Map Annotations. Complex systems hunger for tools to understand and organize your environment.

• Most Minimally: a key to "Jump to Base", which recenters the camera on your Dining Room (falling back to Rec Room, then Barracks, then biggest Room by tiles I guess). No save/load needed.
    • Minimally: the ability to save/load Camera Location(s) -- just coords, no zoom -- like in RTS games. I have been using a Colonist Area I call "Notes" to highlight stuff on the map for later (like Silver/Uranium Ore, which is very hard to spot; likely rooms showing through in Hills; etc), but that still leaves me hunting about with the camera to figure out what I was looking for, and it can get cluttered.
    • If you wanted to get fancy, an Annotations layer on the map would be nice, allowing you to drop Placemarks/Map Pins. Each Placemark can be given a name (like a Stockpile), a "Show/Hide" toggle (like a Growing Zone), and an action to Delete it. Placemark names would on map (at same scale as Colonist names), but in a different color (Purple? Green? harder: let me choose between 3!). As with Zones, a lens/button in the bottom right to globally hide Placemarks would be great (and work the same way as with Hidden Growing Zones).
    • Anyway. I realize this might not be "simple", depending on how things like Planning Markers and Zones are implemented. It doesn't seem that bad, though, as there are lots of other presentation-layer map effects I can think of.
  • Event Log. I'd love it if the History tab had a log of recent (10?) Event Notifications, both Event Letters and white-text notifications (top-left).

• Clicking on the title text in the log would display the same card as when it first popped up; for notifications (and "jump to" on cards), clicking focuses you on the attached object (or the initial coords, if there isn't one underneath).
    • If the event asked for a choice ("A refugee being chased calls you for help..."), I'd show both the original Letter with both options, but highlight the player's choice ("Ignore the Message" aka "Have fun with those raiders, ex-wife") and then append an HR and the resulting event text.
    • I'd find this useful as I seem to frequently gloss over details with Raids, and I'm left trying to read their jobs and gear to figure out if they're Sappers. I also seem to forget Ancient Danger and Cargo Pod locations pretty often.

ProjectXa3

I got two:

-Ability to uninstall/reinstall all workbenches.

'"Modular Design" Research project just below ship construction in terms of tech level that allows walls and doors to be uninstalled/reinstalled.
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

SpaceDorf

@ dsc  do you mind if I integrate your suggestions / some of your suggestions into my thread ?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30599.0

giannikampa

Tune ramping of number of manhunting boomrats event. Getting hundreds is overkill either in year 5505 and in year 5050.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

b0rsuk

Add mood as a factor in Animal Taming and Animal Training. Animals are very sensitive to human's mood, much more than 'talking'.

b0rsuk

New joy item - stationary bike
It would work quite normally, except it needs to be connected to electricity and suffers breakdowns. The difference from other joy objects: it would generate power while used.

As to why would Rimworld have bicycles but not mobile ones ? Because road came before the car. Not to mention bicycle.

dragonalumni

Please add a "designated camp visitor waiting area zone" -- All too often my visitors are sitting at the front gates getting hit by unfriendly or my own turrets causing a ridiculous and easily avoidable faction loss.

dragonalumni

For the wood powered stove, add a new bill for refueling it.

gendalf

- make animals cost more based on their training progress.
- add the "follow when drafted/hunting" buttons to animals personal screens (probably into the training tab).

b0rsuk, I don't see how sitting on that thing would give me joy.. most of the joy from the bycicle comes from actually moving around which makes me thinking about transport suggestions:

- add faster than walking transportation methods within 1 map.
- add ability to build roads or railroads to other tiles to be able to quickly send miners there to mine out a lot of things or tame animals and send it back in carts.

dakenho

my quick suggestion would be to look at the top mods and and see what they are doing why.  It may pay to implement some of these features.

looking at the steam work shop and top mods through out the year I see

• prepare carefully: with full customization of the embark: granted this was expanded this year so good job we are on track
  • camps: allow caravans to setup a camp: love it, great story telling opportunities and if your base is low on food you can send out hunting parties if there are few animals near by
  • RimFridge: adds refrigerated storage:  seems like this is something to improve labor efficiency, granted this was semi solved with the expansion of the time scale BUT i have still had situations where I had to move a production building closer to a stockpile
  • Misc. Training: adds training workstations for some skills,  this I kind of like, at least to the point of training up to a basic level  having one doctor with a skill of 0 who level sup really, really slow, who you don't even want to level up because that means your colonists have to get sick or ignored with a crap doctor sucks (maybe limit to rank 3 or something, or make these books you can buy, or like animal training add a training mechanic beyond neural trainers)
those are the top 5 and each seem pretty decent

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dakenho on February 19, 2017, 11:33:35 AM
my quick suggestion would be to look at the top mods and and see what they are doing why.  It may pay to implement some of these features.

looking at the steam work shop and top mods through out the year I see

• prepare carefully: with full customization of the embark: granted this was expanded this year so good job we are on track
  • camps: allow caravans to setup a camp: love it, great story telling opportunities and if your base is low on food you can send out hunting parties if there are few animals near by
  • RimFridge: adds refrigerated storage:  seems like this is something to improve labor efficiency, granted this was semi solved with the expansion of the time scale BUT i have still had situations where I had to move a production building closer to a stockpile
  • Misc. Training: adds training workstations for some skills,  this I kind of like, at least to the point of training up to a basic level  having one doctor with a skill of 0 who level sup really, really slow, who you don't even want to level up because that means your colonists have to get sick or ignored with a crap doctor sucks (maybe limit to rank 3 or something, or make these books you can buy, or like animal training add a training mechanic beyond neural trainers)
those are the top 5 and each seem pretty decent

Nice Try, The Purpose of this thread is to suggest stuff that need minimal changes to the game .. 1 manhour at max ..