Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

Quote from: DariusWolfe on June 22, 2017, 03:30:00 PM
Quote from: BoogieMan on June 22, 2017, 11:09:21 AM
1: Filters for colonist list on the work screen. Click a skill and it orders colonists based upon their skill level.

2: Please put colonists in alphabetical order. It would make it much faster to find who you are looking for.

3: Increase priority of partially complete items to reduce the clutter of incomplete items laying about.

4: Hauling priority zone. Items in this zone will always be hauled at highest priority, regardless of stockpile priorities.

1. is already possible, unless you mean literally filtering (i.e. hiding) pawns based on skill.

2. is also possible, I believe; Click on the name field the same way you'd click on a skill to order.

3 and 4 are solid suggestions though. I support both.

Ah, I somehow missed clicking the fields to sort by that. I was sure I tried not long ago and it didn't work. Well that's good news.

However, I don't see any way to sort by name which would be very useful, there isn't a place to click for name like the skills.

ProjectXa3

Quote from: gaf on June 22, 2017, 06:37:39 AM
- Allow moving "Reinstall at" command for production benches, just like other furniture. This to let you move the bench with no loss of materials and retain all bills for the workbench. Makes no sense to me that you can move a table but you can't move a butchering or crafting table.
I feel the same way!!
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

gaf

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 22, 2017, 02:27:42 PM
Quote from: gaf on June 22, 2017, 06:37:39 AM- Add a "reconstruct" or "rebuild" command for installed furniture. This would be a shortcut for deconstructing and then using the material (plus any extra needed) to rebuild the same piece of furniture in the same place (Hopefully with better quality). Useful for upgrading early "awful" furniture later when you have people better at construction.
Couldn't you just use "deconstruct" and "build copy"? It seems like this option would literally only save you one keystroke, and at greater chance for miscommunication if someone doesn't catch the difference between "deconstruct" and "reconstruct" or "rebuild" vs. "build copy".

Well, perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't think you can order a deconstruct of something and then build copy of it in the same place while the original is still there. So currently you have to deconstruct, wait until that is done and then build a new one in the same location. Or you can build a copy next to the original (if it fits), deconstruct the original and then move the new one into place.

But maybe you're right about the words being to close. Maybe "Improve quality" would be more appropriate, and it could have a mechanic that if it was successful it would be the same quality or better, but with the regular chance of construction fail.

ProjectXa3

Quote from: gaf on June 23, 2017, 03:25:08 AM
Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 22, 2017, 02:27:42 PM
Quote from: gaf on June 22, 2017, 06:37:39 AM- Add a "reconstruct" or "rebuild" command for installed furniture. This would be a shortcut for deconstructing and then using the material (plus any extra needed) to rebuild the same piece of furniture in the same place (Hopefully with better quality). Useful for upgrading early "awful" furniture later when you have people better at construction.
Couldn't you just use "deconstruct" and "build copy"? It seems like this option would literally only save you one keystroke, and at greater chance for miscommunication if someone doesn't catch the difference between "deconstruct" and "reconstruct" or "rebuild" vs. "build copy".

Well, perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't think you can order a deconstruct of something and then build copy of it in the same place while the original is still there. So currently you have to deconstruct, wait until that is done and then build a new one in the same location. Or you can build a copy next to the original (if it fits), deconstruct the original and then move the new one into place.

But maybe you're right about the words being to close. Maybe "Improve quality" would be more appropriate, and it could have a mechanic that if it was successful it would be the same quality or better, but with the regular chance of construction fail.

Not only that, but if I want/need to reconfigure a room to fit another kind of workbench in there or otherwise move the existing workbench around, doing a "deconstruct/make another" method is stupidly wasteful. I mean, think about it: You need to move your computer desk four feet to the left. Do you (A) disassemble the entire thing, including the computer, into its component parts, breaking several in the process, and reassemble the whole thing four feet away after replacing the lost materials, OR do you (B) push it to the left, possibly getting a little help and lifting it off the ground?
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

jamaicancastle

Quote from: gaf on June 23, 2017, 03:25:08 AM
True, I wasn't thinking of replacing it in place. (The use case I had in mind was basically a big warehouse/crafting room where you build a lot of furniture to fish for high-quality ones.)

I'm still not sure the new feature is anything I'd spend development time on. It should in theory be a simple thing to throw together from existing job types, though, if nothing else.

Limdood

Quote from: DropbearNinja on June 22, 2017, 01:35:20 AM
Please add a generate random button to colony/faction name when you found yours... I'm terrible thinking of names, and often don't like the ones offered...
YES!

Pokk720

Cannibalism has the potential to be a very interesting part of this game. However, because of the way the cannibal trait works, having a single cannibal in your colony is almost a non-factor. Unless all or most of my colonists were cannibals, I would not consider putting human meat on the menu since the negative thoughts it brings are generally not worth it.

I don't suggest that the negative thoughts be toned down (I like that the colonists get upset about butchering and eating humans). I think that cannibalism should be an addiction rather than a trait. Human meat should be highly addictive and when eaten, pawns receive the negative thoughts but may also become cannibals (addicted to human meat).

In this way, if your colony fell on hard times, you could resort to eating human meat at the cost that your colonists would receive a hit to their mood and some of them would potentially become cannibals. Cannibals would then receive strong positive thoughts from eating human meat instead and have to cannibalize every so often or else they go through withdrawals just like any other addiction. It would then also be possible to cure cannibalism by starving them of human meat. Likewise you could create a colony full of cannibals without having to play under special rules forcing everyone to have the trait.

I think this is a much more interactive way to handle cannibalism in the game. It allows the player to choose, or be forced to choose, whether or not they want their colony to be a cannibalistic cult. If one of your starting colonists spawns in with the addiction, you will have to make the tough choice to allow the cannibal to feed his unholy hunger in order to keep him sane while his fellow colonists watch in horror, or starve him and temporarily lose a valuable worker in hopes that one day he will fit into a moral society.

Vlad0mi3r

Just a couple of Ideas that I don't think are covered by current mods.

"Trade spot" like a caravan spot but where traders who come to trade go to when they arrive on the map.

"thanks but no thanks" A Wanderer joins your colony??!! How about no. At least the option to send them away.
To me the random join is like someone walking in through your front door and going straight to your wardrobe and putting on your best clothes. Turning around and going "what is for dinner? No sorry I don't cook, clean or move stuff around and I feel like setting your couch on fire"

Also be able to use Chem Fuel in fueled generators.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

1wsx10

scyther blade + brawler = mood boost (similar to prostophile)

scyther armor vest...
harvest component from scyther, build at machining table or something.

also harvest combat ai implant from scyther... not sure if the ai implents are A17 or mods :D

SpaceDorf

I would love to have the Save&Quit Option in Normal Play the same way it is in Permadeath.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ProjectXa3

Quote from: 1wsx10 on June 24, 2017, 02:37:11 AM
scyther blade + brawler = mood boost (similar to prostophile)

scyther armor vest...
harvest component from scyther, build at machining table or something.

also harvest combat ai implant from scyther... not sure if the ai implents are A17 or mods :D
I don't know if those are necessarily *cheap* ideas, but they are good ones!

JT

I don't know if API features fall under this umbrella, but here goes:

PatchOperationTestModLoaded

Returns success if a mod with the specified folder name is found within the user's loaded mods.

<Operation Class="PatchOperationSequence">
   <li Class="PatchOperationTestModLoaded">
      <modName>Peewee Herman's Theatre Adventure</modName>
   </li>
   <li Class="PatchOperationRemove">
      <xpath>/Defs/ThingDef/ChildhoodInnocence</xpath>
   </li>
</Operation>

PatchOperationMultiply

Reads the given xpath and then, if found, converts the inner HTML to a number, multiplies it by the provided scalar, and then applies the modified value back to the same xpath.  Returns success if the xpath was found and the inner HTML was a float or integer.

<Operation Class="PatchOperationMultiply">
   <success>Always</success>
   <xpath>*/ThingDef/*/statBases/MarketValue</xpath>
   <multiplier>2.0</multiplier>
</Operation>

Names are for the Weak

Tame animals ought to breed with wild ones.

SNKcell

sports as mood boosts and training

make two brawlers have a training match, make two shooters have an archery or shooting range competion, the speedy have a race

like playing chess should give a research training boost

YokoZar

Kidnapped colonists should affect mood, especially of relations.  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34047.0