Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumpfie

Tie harvesting crops to plant cut rather than grow.

Right now I'm having two issues:
My pawns keep harvesting before growing. This means that my haulers are getting overwhelmed and I'd rather have them growing a new plant while they're on site and smear out the next harvest rather than synchronizing be growing only after everything is harvested. I can grow year-round, might be different priorities for others, let them prioritize different. That said they could even force this by forbidding to sow, I however cannot.
My idiot newb keeps botching the devilstrand harvest. I ended up locking him into the corn growhouse because I had no other ways of prioritizing. I remembered to let him out, but I wish I didn't have to.

The cheap solution is to asign these to the existing Jobs and make people prioritize themselves or otherwise I'd always have them grow first since there's micro allowing for the opposite. Prioritize planting could also work for more than one plant similar to cleaning...

Thom Blair III

Handcuffs/zipties for securing enemies away from home.
I was surprised to read about Angkor Thom in Cambodia. I looked up what "Thom" means and it's "big" or "great", so my avatar icon is ធំ which is "Thom" in Khmer.

bobucles

Make mech dismantling yields based on difficulty setting. Hard mode has a ton of mechs which means it has more resources than an easy difficulty that has few mechs.

Thom Blair III

Floodlights, possibly motion sensitive and auto tracking. These could be used to blind attackers, and increase defenders' ability to see/shoot attackers at night.
I was surprised to read about Angkor Thom in Cambodia. I looked up what "Thom" means and it's "big" or "great", so my avatar icon is ធំ which is "Thom" in Khmer.

Thom Blair III

A chimney vent you can place over a steam geyser inside your base if you don't want to have a geothermal power station on it. The vent allows the steam to escape outside without heating your base up.

AileTheAlien

Thom Blair III

A chimney
So...an unroofed section with wall surrounding it?

Well, I was thinking about a single tile tube. Something that would take up the least amount of space in my base and be relatively aesthetically pleasing.

dumpfie

Pod launchers should have build drop pod in the options when selected, similar to how beds have end table and dresser.

Wanderer_joins

Make chest deep water in ponds passable like chest deep moving water (22%)

bobucles

1) Make internal organ injuries FAR slower to heal and not force bed rest. Organ injuries are fairly uncommon and injuring the same organ twice is extremely rare so such injuries would almost never stack. Most organs only incur a minor debuff on the pawn's traits and the only truly life threatening wound is to the kidneys. Everything else can stay wounded for weeks or even months, letting its debuff stay in effect for the duration.

2) The medical inspiration event is pretty weak. Surgery is very uncommon and a reduced surgical failure chance will never compete against training up super colonists that have 0 failure chance. Instead let it do something unique such as letting pawns repair minor injuries like a lost nose or toe or operate on a scar. This does somewhat compete against the repair serum but it has to be a successful surgery instead of an automatic heal.

Kirby23590

Allow the LMG to have the ability to shoot the ground. Similar to the Minigun ability to attack the ground but a poor man's version of it.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

AileTheAlien

A floor that can be built on soft sand, so you don't need to clean constantly:
- Sand-Crete
- supports only light structures (same as soft sand)
- ugly (-2?)
- free for resources, but lots of time to produce?

rabitibike112

Cleaning/Cleaner robot.  It could have the AI of a chicken and be in the animals are (thus we can make him stay in some select area) and the ability that instead of making things dirty by walking over them this robot chick makes things clean. Totally doable and everyone would love it

dumpfie

Sand-Crete
I'd say just make carpets light requirement, support light only, that should do the job. It's not like you're meant to lay carpet in your machining bay... It does offer the same trade-off between flammable and sort of expensive and a quick fix for your floor as the bridge does.

OFWG

Quote from: rabitibike112 on August 15, 2018, 01:19:34 PM
Cleaning/Cleaner robot.  It could have the AI of a chicken and be in the animals are (thus we can make him stay in some select area) and the ability that instead of making things dirty by walking over them this robot chick makes things clean. Totally doable and everyone would love it

So a reskinned chicken mob with a negative 'dirtiness' factor. The very definition of a cheap idea, I love it.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."