Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krausladen

New character statistic: Sleep number.  HOW MANY HOURS OF SLEEP DO THEY NEED, base 8 hours, +- 1 hour by total randomness then + trait effects. 
Traits:
Insomniac (-2 hours sleep needed)
Hypothyroid disorder (+2 hours sleep needed)

Legendary beds -2 hours required.
Masterwork beds -1 hour required
awful beds & bedrolls +1 hour required
no bed +2 hours required

Under restrict section:  Automatically wake up colonists earlier or later based on when they start sleeping, their sleep number, and the bed they're sleeping in. 

Insomniacs (-2 hours needed) assigned to a legendary bed (-2 hours needed) with a sleep number of 7 only need 3 hours of sleep every night.
Hypo-thyroid disorders (+2 hours needed) with a sleep number of 8 sleeping in a normal or good bed would need 10 hours of sleep every night.

So on so forth.

5thHorseman

Every time anything walks over a grass square, it has a tiny chance (1:100 or 1:1000 maybe?) of turning into dirt. Same for dirt to a new tile "packed dirt" which would be less dirty than dirt. Also slowly (via the same mechanic that makes grass and trees sprout) packed dirt would occasionally turn back into regular dirt.

Thus, areas that colonists walk on a lot should slowly get trails in them, and those that stop being walked on would return to grassland eventually.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Krausladen

Restrooms and sinks placed throughout the base, cut down on disease(maybe) and increase beauty and mood.(this is the main point, cutting disease is asking for a lot imo)
(having these results in less pollution.  It appears to me there are feces and urine all over the floor all the time)
(sick colonists better have a bathroom in their infirmary or they're going to puke all over the floor)(incapable of walking its inevitable)
+mood boost for having a place to do the duty
+inevitable mood boost due to less shit being smeared on the floor.  (those -15 beauty splotches appear less often!)
(the full idea is to make puke more contagious to clean, therefore having bathrooms to puke into lead to less disease)

Krausladen

Keep hammering away at building new random events.  Random events are already great, but more and more is always better.  I'm suggesting that we get more global wide events that have long lasting effects such as:

Fights in space between two factions
-crashed ships, pods, and debris in rapid succession creating dangerous situations where pirates or aliens crashing or escaping to your area is more common.
-animals start acting up due to unfamiliar sight of raining fire from the sky

Singular world altering events:
-giant meteor impacts or super volcano explosions leading to cooler global temperatures, falling ash for a year, lung sickness (and a need to innovate ways to beat it like wearing masks)
-immense increase in geyser activity or solar flares

-Wars between other tribes leading to more refugee scenarios and alliance vs enemy encounters

-Global famine and global sickness leading to food and medicinal shortages across the globe over the course of a year, leading to new tribe diplomacy dynamics. Giving meds becomes more rewarding for instance. 

-New colonist/visitor type: Ambassadors or other tribes. 

-Non-colonist, long term visitors that will inevitably leave or decide to stay.  They don't take orders and they may or may not contribute. 

Global events I think are the most important next step to creating some new challenges that could make the play through way more interesting in the long game. Id really like the volcanic or meteor or nuclear winter idea.  I also think long term droughts or long term monsoon like rains could be interesting.

Krausladen

Create a list of 100+ insects and 100+ plants in a database.

Program the game (in the background) to give each colony between 15-30 insects at a time.  Each insect has a specific plant species that it pollinates.  Once a month, there is a chance one insect disappears, or a new one appears thus adding or removing a plant that can appear in your area. 

From the start of your game to the end, you will have a completely different (maybe similar looking) environment based on the wild plants that show up. 

Invasive species events could be incorporated to shake things up.  Certain insects (ticks and mosquitos present) lead to more disease like malaria.  Certain insects (like butterflies) lead to more rare flowers and mood increases.  The stink bug might always be on a certain plant that tanks mood when within a few tiles.  Maybe, just maybe we'll get one that causes rare medicinal plants to grow.

The point is that this would constantly change year over year to keep a fresh view on the games plants. 

At the end of implement, biologist trait colonists or new technology should be able to tell you what plants and insects are in your area utilizing the info you have running in the background to make this idea work.

Krausladen

Passive research items:
Social engineering, increasing social skill of all colonists by fire indicator in social skill (+1 or +2)
Marksmanship training, increasing shooting skills of all colonists by fire indicator in shooting skill
Etcetera so on so forth.

Simply put add items to research at the bench that focus on passive skills for your colonists.  I could really use an anger management course. 

Krausladen

First:  Give colonists pockets.
Second: Give colonists pocket items: i.e. wedding rings, entertainment trinkets, notes to send to other colonists, writing utensils, cell phones, game boys, pocket knives, pocket watches (the bullet proof kind), granola bars, hiding, a spot to carry a joint while hauling a boulder, a place to carry a lighter, etcetera. 

Krausladen

Furniture tab should look more like a catalog with wider variety.  Furnature should be more interactive.  Tables and dressers should be able to store things on top of them (like small plant pots/vases, tvs, etc.)  We also need a recliner to be added for the movie theater room.  TVs seem like that could get more interactive as well.  Are they being used to teach, or to entertain?

Krausladen

Add ability to intentionally collapse mountains, and add raw materials obtained from collapsed mountains.

AnActualDuck

Thrumbo Lure

One use item that immediately causes a Thrumbo event. Can't be made, only received via quests.

Alphy13

I like that bionic spines do not perform any better than a real spine. However, a super strong arm would be limited by the squishy body and nervous system its attached to. I suggest bionic spines add a small boost to other bionic parts like a vitals monitor does for a medical bed.

bondvt04

Yop! Cheapest idea: fix that very very very very very annoying bug which lasts for few years already. You send your guys into fields for some tasks, say, kill siege guys. Your guys succeed this and now your command to disarm and after that you want your guys to haul trophies to home base, but... your guys get out of pockets their meals. What next? Command to consume it here in fields? Please fix it at last! :'( This is also true for other cases, not only just after disarming, but also just after vomiting etc. So maby more robust fix is not get out meals until colonist actually starting eating or (if you want to save nice animation of colonists carrying their meals) add ability to PICKUP items, or at least pickup meals (in case if pickuping of ANY items ruins some of your balance plans). This will really really really help. Really. Thanks in advance! :)

UPD. This is not so important, so you guys can just skip next reading. So, allowing pickup any items can save lots of nerves with few other bugs/features, even that ones which I can't remember or imagine atm ;) As example, colonist becomes unconscious (say because of heat wave) and drops his favorite +1 rifle. Why can't other guys pickup it while just passing through to other tasks (or even while rescuing this colonist if it weights not too much). Or say, we just succeed with killing siege guys, stripped some of them and want to haul lots of light items. Why can't colonist just pickup several joints and that smg? :) Etc

bondvt04

Yop! Cheapest idea: fix that very very very very very annoying bug which lasts for few years already. You send your guys into fields for some tasks, say, kill siege guys. Your guys succeed this and now your command to disarm and after that you want your guys to haul trophies to home base, but... your guys get out of pockets their meals. What next? Command to consume it here in fields? Please fix it at last! :'( This is also true for other cases, not only just after disarming, but also just after vomiting etc. So maby more robust fix is not get out meals until colonist actually starting eating or (if you want to save nice animation of colonists carrying their meals) add ability to PICKUP items, or at least pickup meals (in case if pickuping of ANY items ruins some of your balance plans). This will really really really help. Really. Thanks in advance! :)

UPD. This is not so important, so you guys can just skip next reading. So, allowing pickup any items can save lots of nerves with few other bugs/features, even that ones which I can't remember or imagine atm ;) As example, colonist becomes unconscious (say because of heat wave) and drops his favorite +1 rifle. Why can't other guys pickup it while just passing through to other tasks (or even while rescuing this colonist if it weights not too much). Or say, we just succeed with killing siege guys, stripped some of them and want to haul lots of light items. Why can't colonist just pickup several joints and that smg? :) Etc

Noname_Who am I?

Hello Rimworld developer, I was really impressed with your game. She is very deep and thoughtful. But here are some suggestions that will make the game even better. ;D
1) Add a vacuum cleaner: for colonists, approximately 20% of the game takes the process of cleaning the room, and even if you study and lay a sterile tile, the floor doesn't become cleaner. According to this according to the research it is clear that the technology is there at our level, then why not do this research.
2) Either make less time to build a trap, or make it reload again: It has become almost senseless to set traps in the game, not only has the distance appeared, but also the reloading was removed,
it's not logical, in real life, when a trap works, you don't first run to the store for a new one, you stretch the spring again and use it again, but if you don't want to recharge again, then at least make a trap less , because 3 ** seconds is very much for building a trap.
3)Make more colors of lamps: you do not want to get on the Internet and look for a picture where you can get others from 3 primary colors, why not insert 3 colors into the lamp right away for example to get a purple color, or even better, make it possible to change the color lamps on a color triangle.
4) Add a function so that the colonist could use at least 2 types of weapons at once, this is cold and firearms, because when an enemy approaches you with a sword, and you are armed, as it is not logical then it turns out, how do they fight then?
5) Add missions to Rimworld: It's very boring to play in Rimworld without missions, and it is especially difficult to improve diplomatic relations between factions. Let them give us assignments, and we will carry them out and receive improvements in diplomatic relations, and a reward for completing the assignments. For example, to destroy the camp of bandits, or to kill animals or mechanoids at some near point to our faction, to help in battle, to save their ally or the simplest, to help in harvesting. And when our diplomatic relations reach the union, they will often give the coordinates of caches with useful and maybe even very valuable things.
6)Create a robots research branch: Let's make robots appear in the Rimworld world, because when you find more than one module of artificial intelligence you don't know what to do with them because they are used only in astronautics. But this is an artificial intelligence! So why not make the creation of robots possible?
7) Make a more detailed description of the needs of the colonists: The colonist does not like, or like but not quite this or that place, and he expresses his opinion on this place. But it remains to the end is not clear how to get rid of this bad need that would have improved his mood. In general, describe how you need to get rid of the bad and how to increase the good need of the colonist so that he would be happy. And yet, make some real rewards for the fact that the colonist is happy or pleased that it would be right away and not after some time. For example: When a colonist is happy he gets + 5% unning, or he quickly does the work that he was assigned. And make sure you have a detailed explanation of the need for transcendental expectations, because I still do not understand how to move it from 0 to say +10 to the mood, because the colonists ask for more chic comfort, but I don't understand what it is, because what comfort could have given.
8) Make mines: As you understand, there are different amounts of minerals in different places, but they very quickly end and they are not enough, so why not build an underground elevator or a mine, so that they mine ore there, and then when we follow the underground scanner, we will dig the ore to tens of thousands of meters under the ground. And the underground elevator will fall to a maximum of 20 meters below the ground.
9) Do what you can aim automatic turrets: If these turrets are with artificial intelligence, then why not aim them yourself so that they aim at the enemy you want, but not in which they cannot get. That is, it is not that the colonist picks up this turret and targets it himself and shoots from it, and we aim it and she automatically shoots it.
10) Make more traps for animals and for people and more various weapons and turrets.
11) Make shields that could be put and they protect against bullets, but not grenades, but also not infinitely, so that when they cause a certain amount of damage to them, they are discharged.
12)Make it possible to research more efficient solar panels, geothermal generators, wood and chemical generators, and water generators. Or what would the colonists after a certain research more effectively use those that they now have.
13) Do whatever: plastal, jade, uranium, packaged not at 75 but 500 like gold, but chemical fuel at 1000, beer at 50, silver at 1000.

Unfortunately, I am Russian, and I don't know English for the time being, but I'm already starting to study, if any questions arise, please write, I'll explain to you in more detail.  8)
(P.s. I did not understand the need to write global ideas on this I wrote everything here)  :'(

ToXeye

Ok this idea is not cheap, but it's one that might make sense:

Instead of arresting a person and putting him in the looney bin (also known as prison for most of the game) you should be able to drag someone to his own bed. I don't know if this would require rewriting a lot so sorry for YACI (yet another complex idea ... hehehe)
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\