Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khellendros

Can we have an option to disable automatic roofing of walls? I'd really like to build a walled city with individual buildings inside a large wall but the game seems to want to roof everything from the videos I've seen. Or perhaps have 2 separate structures? One called walls and one called rooms and only rooms will create a roof automatically.

omzh

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but can raids also be determined by the colony's value? For example say the colony has 200 metal, the next raid could anywhere from 3-10 raiders and have larger groups for larger amounts of food or metal. Maybe the types of raiders change based on the resource, like natives getting food or mercs getting metal. It would give a reason for the raiders to attack.

Starkiller

People when go to sleep should be able to turn off the light in their room, could be a nice addition.

jpheep

A 'safe' room.  Very hard to break into so you might have enough room for a stock pile and some colonists to try to hide during a raid.  Most raiders might just ransack the rest of the base and leave the safe room alone.  Some may try to crack into it.

CosmicKobal

Quote from: CosmicKobal on October 31, 2013, 11:17:54 AM
I have several Ideas:

Pitfall/Spikepit traps- you could even create a string of these around your base to act as a defensive trench instead.

trainable boomrats- basically mobile, tracking mines that you could unleash on a group of raiders as soon as they land. yes, your boomrats would die, and they should take a LONG time to train up, I'd say at least a full cycle to be able to use them this way. there could even be an animal husbandry trait that reduces training time by a certain amount. you could choose what you wanted to train in a screen similar to the research screen.

Fixed cannons- They could cost 500 materials each, and only have a 90 degree turning radius, but could do 75 damage per shot, have an affect similar to a grenade, and take 2 to 3 times as long to fire as the auto turret with around twice the range.

pet squirrels- They could be used as a happieness modifier. the animal trainer/animal husbandry person could go out and catch squirrels to be put in a cage built in each colonists room.

Taser- A weapon that does almost no damage, but can be used in melee to incapacitate enemies to be captured and recruited/sold/beaten/executed. Not dropped by raiders. Only acquired by buying from arms dealers.

Stungun- same as the Taser, except that it doesn't have to be in melee to be used. Not dropped by raiders. Only acquired by buying from arms dealers. Rarer than Tasers.

Electric Fence- self explanatory

Random ideas-

Raiders could demand tributes/protection payments of resources or weapons i.e.

"We hear you've got some good guns in there. Either you give us 3 of your Pulse Rifles or we put holes in you and take them anyway!"

Sorry for any doubles btw. also had another idea.

what if raiders didnt always decide to come in through the front door. if you obviously have awesome defences with your base inside a box canyon with only 1 narrow entrance which is filled with mines and covvered by 15 turrets, then maybe the raiders will try to tunnel into the back of your base.

this could make mining efforts much more dangerous and unpredictable. you would have to decided if you REALLY wanted to mine that big vein of metal and risk your defences, or do you want your rock wall to stay 15 squares thick.

I also think you should be able to fill in old tunnels with new rock in order to prevent pockets that aggravate my ocd. you could then fill in any tunnels created by the raiders and even wall off old mine shafts that have been mined dry.

also, I think you should be able to completely wall in something and not have a roof automatically form over it. I would like to be able to wall in my solar panels to protect them without blocking off my access to sun.

maybe a group of raiders could even drop directly into your base as an ambush. this could help prevent it from being a turret defense game. you would need to think about firing angles, placement of mines and even which directions building doors face and where your conduits are.

CosmicKobal

Just had another idea:

What if, after a colonist was done with his or her current session of mining, they would automatically search for anything that was designated for hauling (food, metal, bodies, slag) near them. say, within 5 tiles or so. that way they aren't wasting time by trekking halfway across the map over and over and over when they could just do a little mining and then haul the metal they just mined back with them before they go to eat or sleep

Also, it would be cool if lights ( other than the sun lamps) could turn on and off automatically as a colonist walks into and out of a room. in RL they would probably do that anyway. maybe 1 percent of the time someone could accidentally leave a light on and the next person to pass by or through the room could turn it off.

lights that are set up outside could turn off at dawn and turn on at dusk and stay on all night. this could maybe help prevent event like assassins sneaking into the base and killing someone in their sleep.

maybe if someone has a 'gambling' trait, the event could be that they owed a LOT of money to someone and that someone tracked them down and put a hit on them.

what if someone with a pious trait and someone with a gambling or sexual deviant got into a fight?

CosmicKobal

Another Idea is to add Engineering as a skill. add a 'Workbench' just the same as there are Research tables and depending on your engineers skill lvl, he or she can use metal to make different types of guns and armors. that would introduce crafting without having to have a complicated crafting and component system.

I would suggest a skill lvl of at least 6 just to be able to make a pistol and a skill lvl of 15 to make an M-24

DeltaV

Maybe make conscripted soldiers able to fire while moving, and/or to run. It seems like it would be really frustrating to need to fall back, only to be gunned down because your soldiers were leisurely walking with their guns away to the next line of sandbags.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

willow512

• Designate an areas for priorities.  So you can set your front to high priority, causing damage and debris to be cleaned up faster than the back end which is normal or low priority, a broken bed or storage container isn't as relevant as a broken turret.
  • If you tell a  person to prioritize something, ignore their labor settings, let them do it if they're able to.
  • An alert that causes all non drafted individuals to stay within a designated safe zone.
  • Turrets that require a person to man them, somewhat more efficient and resilient than the auto turrets (Depends on skill?) but useless if not manned.
  • A manufactured goods factory. Usefull for nothing other than selling for money.

Bedshaped

Just a small suggestion I'd like to see.

Instead of everyone brandishing their own weapon, perhaps some kind of armoury or firearm lockers that arm all the military assigned colonists in case of emergencies.

hawkwing

Would really like a research topic to prevent auto-turrets from exploding when they're destroyed.... The blast on those things is a little absurd.
Rimworld mods are now available on The Nexus!
Rimworld Nexus
(Goodbye, 600kb upload limit!)

Scelestic

I figure I'll throw my hat into the ring with a seconding of Animal Husbandry.

This seems like it could be implemented on a 'cheap' level by just reusing the colonists ability to capture other humans and place them in a jail area. Colonists could simply capture animals and put them in a pen area to be harvested for food at a later time, although the animals would need to be fed.

CosmicKobal

What about if you dug your base underground and put a maze in front of it?  raiders could sometimes get lost in there? as long as the maze was within your home area your colonists would be (mostly) safe but any raiders would have a difficult time finding your base entrance.you could even add in pit traps, rock fall traps, pungi(sp?) traps, trip wires attached to shotguns ( this would allow more use out of surplus weapons than just selling them. the more convoluted your maze is, the more likely your colonists are to accidentally get lost, requiring a rescue, but also the more likely a raider will just wander around until they fall unconscious and can be captured.

maybe you could even release trained mufalos into the maze and let them hunt down the weary and starving raiders?

what do you guys think of that?

CosmicKobal

Quote from: Scelestic on November 01, 2013, 01:39:32 PM
I figure I'll throw my hat into the ring with a seconding of Animal Husbandry.

This seems like it could be implemented on a 'cheap' level by just reusing the colonists ability to capture other humans and place them in a jail area. Colonists could simply capture animals and put them in a pen area to be harvested for food at a later time, although the animals would need to be fed.

That was basically what I had in mind as well. If there was some kind of fenced area large enough to be called a 'pasture', then you wouldn't even need to feed the animals as they could just forage. I imagine that would eliminate at least a little bit of coding.

Scelestic

Quote from: CosmicKobal on November 01, 2013, 01:49:19 PM

That was basically what I had in mind as well. If there was some kind of fenced area large enough to be called a 'pasture', then you wouldn't even need to feed the animals as they could just forage. I imagine that would eliminate at least a little bit of coding.

Yeah- I was thinking about that as-well. I believe Muffalo already graze on grass. So an open(ish) pasture could work splendidly. I guess the ability to 'harvest' or get food from Animals is the only thing explicitly needed to add farming, since I don't believe animals can just.. disappear.