Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Masters

Quote from: TinnedEpic on October 03, 2014, 12:31:08 PM
How about the ability to give some of your guys a day off work?
It would be especially useful for those going through psych drones, or some people who are just generally on the verge of mental break. Additionally being assigned time off would make them happier, give them a break day. The effect could be amplified if it's someone's birthday.

I suggested a idle/chill time which you could slide in a % fashion, so someone under a lot of stress you would put a 50% workload, half their time they could spend on chill objects (yet to be introduced), like VR simulators, sitting on a bench watching the sky, chatting with other people...

ShadowTani

Do Tynan still follow this thread? x3

Well, I've mentioned this to him before on reddit... The problem is the equipment racks. Their storage menu isn't very user friendly at the moment, causing quite the click-fest if you want to deselect all the weapons. This is especially true if you got a lot of racks and want to deselect most of the weapons on all of them... for example if you just want to store one specific weapon in each one (like I do).

Back on Reddit I was being dumb and suggested the "select/deselect all" button as the solution, because would be nice to have for all storage menu's really... I still would love that feature, but as Tynan seemed to feel that was going to be a lot of effort for little gain I wanted to suggest a more cheap way of solving the issue here.

The cheap solution (at least I believe it is) is to give the weapons a parent group, like they got in other storage menu's, see attachment for visual example. Sorry for being annoying about this, but it has been my main annoyance while playing the game since alpha 1, and the problem only gets worse for each update (more weapons added). ^^;

PS. This kinda need to be considered for the Tailor workbench bills too (even better, having separate parent groups for fabrics and leathers)...

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

ShadowTani

Quote from: TinnedEpic on October 03, 2014, 12:31:08 PM
How about the ability to give some of your guys a day off work?
It would be especially useful for those going through psych drones, or some people who are just generally on the verge of mental break. Additionally being assigned time off would make them happier, give them a break day. The effect could be amplified if it's someone's birthday.

Not wanting to be a spoil sports guys, especially because recreation time is a good idea that have been suggested by many - but it's NOT a cheap idea. It's a full system that would require new objects and AI behavior. A whole update month would have to be dedicated to it. Especially if the system is going to be made in a way that is fun and not just a way to make mental breaks easier to manage - which would not be fun.

To the Moderators: Sorry for double posting, but I am hopelessly organized to the point of being OCPD and can't resist the urge to pointing things like this out when I see it, and since I didn't want to clutter my previous post with this I put it in a follow up post instead, my apologies again. :/

Johnny Masters

I never understood why select all/none would be such a hassle. The hassle is not having it.

Valdemar FIN

First few really cheap ideas: The rocket launcher and napalm rocket launcher. They should be just matter of taking a basic frag grenade, giving it more range and ability to explode on contact and new sprite.

Next is little more complicated: using AI core as brain transplant. Because the AI core itself doesn't fit inside settlers' skulls, the operation should use just one shard of AI core. AI core which has been used for brain transplants can be no longer used as Ship AI. Additionally, having AI brain makes the settles super intelligent (+medicine, +shooting and +research) but leaves them as cold, calculative and empty shells of their past self (-social, -artistic and -growing).

Lecos

It would be nice if colonists stopped shooting at targets that are in close-combat with other colonists. Right now, once one of the enemies charges the lines and engages a colonist, the others will likely shoot that enemy because he's so close, or that's how I guess target priorities work. Kicking enemies in melee off the target list altogether would be nice. Then we'd only have to manually target close-combats if we actually want our people to shoot in, not the other way around.

EarthyTurtle

Here is one we could all agree on, a 'Rescue' option for colonists walking around in a daze. Never made must sense to me why we have to capture and imprison them.

cplr

A button that resets all manual priorities to 4.

Especially due to the Mac double-click bug, it's frustrating to change the priorities to match what I need done at a certain time, so a way to reset everything in one click, so I can (in one click) prioritize a single task would be excellent.

Nasikabatrachus

Yesterday, I tried to run a colony as a cannibalistic settlementâ€"I made my starting 3 have the cannibal trait, even captured a friendly guy and ate himâ€"but I was disappointed to see that there were no positive thoughts associated with cannibals eating human meat. I think that such traits would greatly benefit from a little positive feedback. It would also make sense if negative thoughts were dependent on who got eaten. An enemy would probably be less psychologically difficult to eat than a friend. On the other hand, the prospect of starvation would also probably reduce the psychological barrier to eating another person.

Quote from: Lecos on October 04, 2014, 05:56:06 AM
It would be nice if colonists stopped shooting at targets that are in close-combat with other colonists. Right now, once one of the enemies charges the lines and engages a colonist, the others will likely shoot that enemy because he's so close, or that's how I guess target priorities work. Kicking enemies in melee off the target list altogether would be nice. Then we'd only have to manually target close-combats if we actually want our people to shoot in, not the other way around.

I've had pawns who shot other colonists while hunting. It's really annoying.

Tumuel

Being able to remove light sensors from mechanoids to use as eyes in a similar way to use their knife protrusions as hands.
Also smell/sound sensors for noses and ears.

bewarethegazebo

1. Blood moon - for the duration of the night ALL animals go psychotic. Short duration but a little sh*t storm to keep you on your toes.

2. Plants that grow only at night time. Just to keep things different.

3. Animal type that behaves differently with day/night (aggressive vs passive).

bewarethegazebo

Create a low wall (like sandbags) out of the bodies of your enemies. Could give an increased dent to enemy morale so they are more likely to flee but also has a negative effect your colonists (unless they have the relevant traits).

Wex

Quote from: bewarethegazebo on October 04, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
2. Plants that grow only at night time. Just to keep things different.

3. Animal type that behaves differently with day/night (aggressive vs passive).
2. Fungi

3. Predators (Lions? Wolves?)
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

ogto

Quote from: milon on July 09, 2014, 02:10:39 PM
Quote from: ogto on July 06, 2014, 05:53:11 PM
i'd like a way to prioritize certain jobs, like construct something, gather something, etc. maybe when selecting something to build or to do, you can use one of three priorities.

i know that, but i want to prioritize not a TYPE of job, but A job. Construct THIS wall, haul THIS item, etc.

togt

- soundbyte to go with socializing colonists that are onscreen
- Happy events (your batteries are fully charged after lightning strike)
- volatile shells from crashed pods - risky returns
- default settings for hauling items (adding checkbox "always" with certain options)
- raiders rescueing downed teammembers in 'leave no men behind'-style
- EDIT: Just thought of this: perhaps not all 3 escape pods land safely, randomize just 2 or even 1 colonist surviving.

Not cheap but cool:
- boobytraps (like an exploding turret but invisible to attackers triggered by proximity)